The 2024 Trade Deadline

Just now, Allan Bryant said:

141 strike outs ?   Smh . I guess Elias is intrigued with him but I doubt he’ll even try 

I think he’ll inquire and then move the conversation right to Fedde who should come with a much more reasonable price tag.

55 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t think I said exactly two top 100 guys but yes, I’d do something like Kjerstad, Norby, DeLeon for Crochet.   I may have mentioned a slight variation on that previously.   Crochet is one of the best, most talented pitchers in baseball.   A difference maker.

Yes .. in a sample size. I’d probably do that for Skubal as well. 

id probably do that deal as well. But it’s risky. 

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

They both look like very astute moves at the moment.   Just waiting to see when the Giants shut down Hicks or the Braves shut down Lopez because of innings limits.   Or not.

It will be interesting to see. When SDP converted Lugo back to a starter last year he threw 81 more innings than he did in 2022. He ended up at 146 on the season.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

What would you need out of Crochet in 2024 to justify trading Kjerstad+ for him?  (This is not to say 2025 and beyond isn’t important but the idea is to try to win right now, so I’m focusing on that for this question)

I couldn't care less what we get in August-Sept as long as he is in good shape to give us 5 innings in Game 2 and beyond in the playoffs. 

If anyone is looking for the smallest of Crochet silver linings, Elias has said things in the past like (paraphrasing), "there's no hard science on innings and we just do our best", and, "it's time to win so we won't be babying Grayson with innings", etc. 

So while he usually does try to play it safe with innings when it makes sense to, I think he knows it's all kind of a mystery, and in certain scenarios you just roll the dice. 

Still don't think it's very likely based on the type of guys he normally acquires. A guy like Scherzer really seems like his preferred type of dude, assuming he's healthy and the Rangers sell. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

If anyone is looking for the smallest of Crochet silver linings, Elias has said things in the past like (paraphrasing), "there's no hard science on innings and we just do our best", and, "it's time to win so we won't be babying Grayson with innings", etc. 

So while he usually does try to play it safe with innings when it makes sense to, I think he knows it's all kind of a mystery, and in certain scenarios you just roll the dice. 

Still don't think it's very likely based on the type of guys he normally acquires. A guy like Scherzer really seems like his preferred type of dude, assuming he's healthy and the Rangers sell. 

Well said.  Some similarities between Crochet and Grayson too.

Trade discussion pet peeve of mine: some variation of "I'd only do that if we could extend him."

Honestly, when has an extension right after a trade ever happened?  They are by far the exception.  And the trading team doesn't care whether you extend him or not.  Any trade valuation is based on the years of control left on that player and nothing more.

It sounds like to me that the CWS would want Basallo+ or Mayo+. I’d much rather the Scherzer rental route. Worrying about the 2025 rotation is for the offseason.

Crap happens. Heck the CWS are trying to flip a dude that was in Korea, and a reliever, for a franchise changing haul. Let someone else “buy high”. 

What does everyone have against rentals?  Scherzer and Leclerc fix both are major needs. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It sounds like to me that the CWS would want Basallo+ or Mayo+. I’d much rather the Scherzer rental route. Worrying about the 2025 rotation is for the offseason.

Crap happens. Heck the CWS are trying to flip a dude that was in Korea, and a reliever, for a franchise changing haul. Let someone else “buy high”. 

What does everyone have against rentals?  Scherzer and Leclerc fix both are major needs. 

I certainly don't have anything against it. Just gotta aim higher than we did at last year's deadline. Scherzer is a logical candidate and I tend to think he can be had for a package of lesser/lower minors guys rather than 1 big name like McDermott.