The 2024 Trade Deadline

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Did I say that? But he now has a seasons worth of ABs and he’s a .215 hitter

Gunnar had 622 PA last year.   Cowser has 388 in his career.   I think he’s a bit short of a season’s worth.  The new math?

1 minute ago, LGOrioles said:

Agree that calling Stowers and Norby future all stars is pushing it. But, if you look at the Tigers roster right now with Carpenter hurt, you could make an argument that Norby would be their best IF’er besides their catchers, and Stowers would be their best OF’er besides Greene. Their position player group is awful.

Of course DET is going to say they want multiple prospect position players that are future All Stars, but would they really pass up a top 5 or 10 prospect, along with 2 other guys who might not be slam dunk future All Stars, but are both big league ready, and are better than most other options they have right now? 

IMO you are overselling Norby and Stowers with the “might not be slam dunk future All Stars” comment.

No it is unlikely that either are all-stars. But rather solid big-leaguers.

The issue as you said is because of DET’s terrible offense, they are going to want some difference makers. 

They are probably going to want one of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo AND one of Kjerstad/Cowser. That is the group of likely future all-stars IMO.

26 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

IMO you are overselling Norby and Stowers with the “might not be slam dunk future All Stars” comment.

No it is unlikely that either are all-stars. But rather solid big-leaguers.

The issue as you said is because of DET’s terrible offense, they are going to want some difference makers. 

They are probably going to want one of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo AND one of Kjerstad/Cowser. That is the group of likely future all-stars IMO.

I think some of that is GM speak. Getting a top 10 prospect in the MLB along with 2 other guys with full control that look like every day players at a minimum is better than almost any other team can offer. I certainly hope the Orioles don’t offer one of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo and one of Kjerstad/Cowser for a guy with injury history that does not even have 2 years of ace performance. Cowser would easily be their 2nd best position player right now and is under control for 5 more seasons after this one. No chance I am trading him and a top 10 prospect for Skubal.

Edited by LGOrioles
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Gunnar had 622 PA last year.   Cowser has 388 in his career.   I think he’s a bit short of a season’s worth.  The new math?

Yeah added this season plus the total ABs in error. So 400 +/- at .215 means you won’t be around long. 

20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s more about the idea of giving up assets for someone who may not help you at all when you need it the most.

Martinez is upgrade to Akin.  Montas I am not really interested unless it was guy you move to bullpen as he is tough on right handers and stuff might play up there but he would still be way down the list. 

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah added this season plus the total ABs in error. So 400 +/- at .215 means you won’t be around long. 

He’ll be around and he won’t be hitting .215 forever but I guess you don’t see that.

37 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

I think some of that is GM speak. Getting a top 10 prospect in the MLB along with 2 other guys with full control that look like every day players at a minimum is better than almost any other team can offer. I certainly hope the Orioles don’t offer one of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo and one of Kjerstad/Cowser for a guy with injury history that does not even have 2 years of ace performance. Cowser would easily be their 2nd best position player right now and is under control for 5 more seasons after this one. No chance I am trading him and a top 10 prospect for Skubal.

Well, you probably don’t want Skubal then.

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t enjoy all the speculation leading up to the deadline?

I am a part of this club. This year has been the most annoying because everyone seems to think our prospects are blocked and we should give them away. Tigers fans and White Sox fans have been repulsive. 

• Thanks 1