The 2024 Trade Deadline

31 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Thats creative.  Imagine a guy with his demands might not take kindly to being pulled early when he’s having success.  More Ks more $. 

But, yea that could be a strategy for rest of season.  

It would also look pretty gnarly PR wise if he was asked to pitch in October and he refused.  He’d shrink his FA market.  

This really could screw over the WS.

12 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Did Garrett Crochet's agent and Chris Getz collaborate on that strategy?

Quick, have somebody talk to Garrett Stallings about what kind of teammate this guy is.

I'm sure he's a way better teammate than say Chris Sale.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This really could screw over the WS.

For sure.  Imagine having a deal almost complete and that story comes out.  Brutal.  

I’m all for players rights but that’s pretty low to take that to the press.   Those conversations need to take place behind closed doors.  

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

The inmates are running the asylum. 

God the White Sox FO must be pissed off right now. No one is going to trade for him under those demands and give up the huge prospect package it would take on top of that.

• Upvote 3

I saw reports Hader put some use restraints on the Padres with his free agency impending, part of what I think made that team less than the sum of its parts.    Bob Melvin almost broke cliches kayfabe in one interview I saw late last season.

2019 World Series Game 7 on two days rest I think Gerrit Cole went out to the bullpen and sat, but the Nationals led in the late innings.     I believe it was only minutes after the game ended Cole led off his interview from the loser's clubhouse with something like "Speaking only as a representative of myself and no longer part of the ballclub...."

It is basically a template there's a ~90% chance we'll hear from Corbin Burnes at some point this fall.     10% dogpile chance about as good as it gets.

8 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

God the White Sox FO must be pissed off right now. No one is going to trade for him under those demands and give up the huge prospect package it would take on top of that.

Yeah, takes away the very reason a team would want to trade for him.  

splash-one-zero-titled-mark-donoghue-canvas-print.jpg

10 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

No way the WS FO wanted that released.  You would think Crochet would be doing what he could to get out of Chicago.  They might challenge the all time season loss record this year.

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

No way the WS FO wanted that released.  You would think Crochet would be doing what he could to get out of Chicago.  They might challenge the all time season loss record this year.

You don’t think teams knew or would have found that out before trading for him?

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

If the Mariners are trading Miller or Woo they are going to want Kjerstad. It’s hard to see a way around that because those SP have so much team control and they are going to want a MLB-ready bat with similar team control. I’m sure they want Mountcastle too, but Mountcastle is just not close enough in value to Miller/Woo to justify them doing a trade with Mountcastle being the best piece they get back, even if you’re adding guys like Hays, Urias, Norby, Stowers who would be immediate starters for them.

The only path I can see without Kjerstad would be Miller/Woo for Mountcastle & Kremer, with some other pieces. Kremer has decent trade value similar to Mountcastle with a fair amount of control remaining, and the Mariners do need to backfill the Miller/Woo rotation spot since they don’t have a ton of back-end rotation depth. 

The problem for the Orioles is that is one step forward, one step back in terms of getting 4 playoff starters this year and having controllable starters for 2025+, but the upside with those arms is much higher than Kremer. They’d still need to bring in another SP for this year. 

Kjerstad for Bryce Miller?   Count me in.   Woo has been on the IL at least twice this year. Pass.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Kjerstad for Bryce Miller?   Count me in.   Woo has been on the IL at least twice this year. Pass.

Miller is one of the worst pitchers in the league away from Safeco. His numbers at Safeco are great but I would think his road numbers have to effect his value. 

11 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Miller is one of the worst pitchers in the league away from Safeco. His numbers at Safeco are great but I would think his road numbers have to effect his value. 

You don't really acquire Miller for what his current performance is, which is still a solid pitcher, you draft him for what his stuff could let him be. I doubt 49 innings away from Safeco is going to have much effect on that.

4 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

76K in 67 IP at home.

27K in 49 IP at home

4 hr at home.  11 on the road.

We all know Safeco is a pitchers park but I’d guess there’s some flukish randomness in those numbers.  The strikeouts make no sense.   The homers, a little, but not that much.

• Upvote 1

From Keith Law’s chat today:

John S
1:13
What's a hypothetical package you're putting together for a SP if you're the Orioles? I'd love to include a current player on the roster (a la Mountcastle/Urias/Injured Mateo) but figure Seattle is the only team that would be interested.

Keith Law
1:14
Mountcastle + Norby + Basallo + 4th guy from lower in the system (Estrada?) should get you anyone on the market, no? Again, not my beat and I know I'm out of my lane here.