The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

Yeah if he was in Orioles organization and at 20 years old (just turned 21) hitting .325 with 28 homers and 1.011 OPS half the board would be acting like he was future all star and we should be calling him up already.  He seems like a guy that might have been moved up to fast because of signing at 16.  It makes teams push players some because they might lose them in rule 5 if don’t get to majors in time.  
I really like Puk because of the 2.5 years but it looks like they got a pretty solid offer and they must have liked it enough.  We don’t know if and what we offered to get him so no point complaining we should have beat.  I think about Norby and Fabian would have been my top offer but they just might not have liked those guys as much and took the DBack offer.  

As a big baseball nut, it does feel a little thin that someone like Ken Rosenthal would go to that content for the first 130 characters of his reporting, but it is 2024's media environment.

I don't know boo about NL prospects day to day but I know...

-some about how all Raysian GM's operate, and

-that AJ Puk built a lot of value with his star turn as a reliever

...so it is easy to accept Peter Bendix and reigning league champion executive Mike Hazen teaching me on my couch who is valuable.

Mike Elias didn't win a bid on a top of the market talent in an unconstrained scenario, news at 11.

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Where did you see this rumor? We are pretty solid up and down the lineup so I don't know where this veteran bat would play, even if we were to trade Mountcastle.

Back on page 254 someone mentioned that they got this impression from Hyde's press conference and Ben McD's postgame comments today.  

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh only one back in the Wildcard.

For some reason I thought they were further back.

They've been hot the past couple months (28-18 since May 30),  and hope to get both Merrill Kelly and Eduardo Rodriguez back by the end of August.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, terpoh said:

What would it take to get Luis Castillo from the Mariners and Erick Fedde from the White Sox? Two trades that I think would solve a lot for us, and also should not cost much of our premium prospects.

The Mariners are very clearly in need of offense, and as has been discussed here, a veteran for veteran offense for pitching trade makes a lot of sense and would open up some of the roster log jam we have here.

I cant remember where I saw it posted but someone posted the Trade Value Simulation website which had Mounty and Castillo as similar values. I doubt that Seattle would take that straight up, even if they are trying to get off his contract. It would be a big investment for us financially, but it would also give us some stability in the rotation the next few years. 

Would Mountcastle for Castillo work straight up? Would Mounty and Mullins get it done? Mountcastle and another prospect? Could we include a reliever from Seattle for Mounty/Mullins/Prospect?

And for Fedde.. would Norby + another prospect work?

If we got both, we could go into the last two months of the season with Burnes/Castillo/Grayson/Fedde/Kremer. IF we add a reliever with Castillo they get inserted in, and Suarez can go to the pen as well. 

Mayo can come up to replace Mounty. Cowser can take over as the primary CF and Stowers can come up to be the backup CF.

C Adley/McCann, 1B Mayo/O'Hearn, 2B Holliday/Westburg, SS Gunnar, 3B Westburg/Urias, LF Kjerstad/Hays, CF Cowser/Stowers, RF Tony/Kjerstad

There's a severe shortage of top starters.  Multiple teams would just at the chance to trade a package led by a top 100 prospect, I don't care what the,trade simulator says.  Mountcastle might work as a 2nd piece.  Not sure they would take Norby as the 1st piece. 

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

76K in 67 IP at home.

27K in 49 IP at home

4 hr at home.  11 on the road.

We all know Safeco is a pitchers park but I’d guess there’s some flukish randomness in those numbers.  The strikeouts make no sense.   The homers, a little, but not that much.

On yesterday’s pregame show, Melanie Newman was contrasting the lighting at Miami’s ballpark with Safeco’s.  She said Miami had very uniform lighting but that at Safeco it is very dark right around home plate.  

The Mariners as a team are striking out 9.4 per 9 at home and 7.4 on the road.  Interestingly, the discrepancy doesn’t exist for their hitters.  Maybe they’re more used to Safeco’s lighting than the visiting teams are?

4 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Detmers has an ERA of over 6.  In his last 5 starts he's given up 24 runs in 21.2 IP.  Why would anyone want him?  

Talented kid with a lot of service time.

His FIP is 4.4 and his xERA is 3.64.

Lots of Ks and misses bats. Walk rate a little high and HR rate too high.

Statcast page is solid.

Get him away from that train wreck of an organization and I think he can flourish.

11 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Back on page 254 someone mentioned that they got this impression from Hyde's press conference and Ben McD's postgame comments today.  

Yeah sorry. I don’t know how to cut Twitter feeds but it was quoted by Melewski. The question was do the Orioles looks to AAA for help?

Hyde: "We’re in first place. To get younger, I don’t know. The roster questions are more directed to Mike. We have conversations about our roster constantly but we’ll see what happens here at the deadline too. Lot cld happen this week."

One wonders knowing what we know now how LAA won the original Ohtani competition.     Was it just as simple as the unique opportunity to test yourself with Mike Trout everyday, plus that org being the one to yield to letting him do what he wanted to do?

It is a gift for the game he got the chance, and not a case he had to worry about making in Contract2.

Reid Detmers career development was just roadkill as a flawed organization desperately tried to keep it okay for the golden goose.    Fortunate for us they needed Dylan Bundy's immediate help and would invest Kyle Bradish's future potential to bolster those couple years teams.

Edited by Just Regular

5 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

One wonders knowing what we know now how LAA won the original Ohtani competition.     Was it just as simple as the unique opportunity to test yourself with Mike Trout everyday, plus that org being the one to yield to letting him do what he wanted to do?

It is a gift for the game he got the chance, and not a case he had to worry about making in Contract2.

Reid Detmers career development was just roadkill as a flawed organization desperately tried to keep it okay for the golden goose.

I think they are very flawed. They are the fastest team to promote high level prospects. Makes me think every prospect it Ben Macdonald type development there.

4 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

That’s not correct at all. Christian Walker has been 9,10 and 11 fielding run value the last 3 years. You can’t judge Mayo first base defense on a couple games. I remember Westburg coming up as a hit over field guy.

Walker was ours. I sure wish we’d kept him. He’s had a very successful run with Az.