The 2024 Trade Deadline

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Getting Puk would have been nice. 

Trying to talk myself into getting excited about Fedde but whatever. I’m sure he’ll be better than Flaherty was last year. 

Get used to saying “Kikuchi.”

• Haha 1

FYI, Draftkings has taken down all the “next team” odds for players. So stuff must really be moving/going down right now.

I do believe they had the Mariners as the favorites to land Arozarena earlier in the day. They didn’t have anything up for Puk. 

Keep in mind, they had us as the favorite to land Kikuchi. 2nd favorites to land Scott, and Skubal, behind the LAD. 3rd favorite to land Crochet. One site, not DK, has Mullins favored going to Philly if he were traded. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

At least we wouldn’t have to face him anymore. 

Does Kikuchi make his start tomorrow(today) vs the Rangers?  Gotta think all parties involved don’t want that to happen. He could be the next domino because of that. 

As a pure rental, gotta think he only will cost somewhere in the top 20-30 range at most. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Does Kikuchi make his start tomorrow(today) vs the Rangers?  Gotta think all parties involved don’t want that to happen. He could be the next domino because of that. 

As a pure rental, gotta think he only will cost somewhere in the top 20-30 range at most. 

Something to keep an eye on for sure. I’d hate to give the Jays anything for anyone but if he’s a rental and that’s all we get..Fine. 

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Does Kikuchi make his start tomorrow(today) vs the Rangers?  Gotta think all parties involved don’t want that to happen.

The Rangers probably want that to happen.

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Something to keep an eye on for sure. I’d hate to give the Jays anything for anyone but if he’s a rental and that’s all we get..Fine. 

The two guys Seattle traded for Arozarena were both draft picks in last years draft. 4th rd and 6th rd picks. The 4th rd pick was an overslot $1.2 million HS bat. The 6th rd pick was a NCAA SP that actually was underslot at 230k. 

Just for that perspective with the recent draft. The $1.2 million signing bonus is on par with what we gave Jackson Baumeister as a 2nd rd pick last year. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Hopefully Puk and Cowser/Kjerstad can settle it in the World Series!

Many of us lived through Andrew Miller, who AJ Puk's last couple months breakout reminds me some of.     It is easier to accept it as real when scouting wise it is a Miller-Puk level pedigree.    That said - Miller had 2.5 good seasons, not 2.5 good months.     Trade off is 3 Octobers of Puk vs. 1 of Miller.

If the deal tonight were Kjerstad for Puk, I'd have some churning in the pit of my stomach like you probably ought to after a high value trade, but hypothetically I think I might also be proud of Elias for taking a kind of risk on a few Adley Octobers he hasn't yet.

The comparable on the prospect ratings to the deal they accepted would be Trace Bright and Billy Cook. I’m not sure how/why you’d think Elias would deal Kjerstad for a RP. Or his value is that low after coming off the top end of the top 100 list. We could’ve done something like Horvath and a non top 30 and it would’ve beaten their offer.