The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

When the primary concern is cutting payroll that's what happens.

Part of me wonders if it was just payroll or if that was the best packages DD had on the table. He was in a bind and everyone else held the cards on the table. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yup. We basically just took the bottoms of contending teams 40 man rosters back. It would’ve been much better to take A ball guys with more upside. 

Heck, for the person that downvoted the comment about the CWS return, you do realize that Yordan Alvarez was once an unknown A ball int’l player that was dealt at the deadline?  He was probably #22 or something at the time. Just like what the CWS got back today. 

See, and I think the White Sox are where we were in 2018, but if they chose the wrong path like the Orioles really could have instead of going for Elias and Mejdal. I think we forget that the 2018 deadline and the recent skid of lean years could have wound up being a lot worse. 

Just now, MDtransplant757 said:

Part of me wonders if it was just payroll or if that was the best packages DD had on the table. He was in a bind and everyone else held the cards on the table. 

See, and I think the White Sox are where we were in 2018, but if they chose the wrong path like the Orioles really could have instead of going for Elias and Mejdal. I think we forget that the 2018 deadline and the recent skid of lean years could have wound up being a lot worse. 

The Gausman deal included O'Day's contract.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why would the Giants trade Snell when they are only 3.5 GB?  Unless it’s for mlb ready offense. 

The opt out. And they just got Ray back and Cobb looks like he’s on the way too.

Eflin didn't have the greatest game, but you could tell he knows how to pitch. It was really difficult watching guys like Ubaldo Jimenez and Daniel Cabrera and it's tough watching guys like Povich and McDermott. It's very hard to have sustained success as a starter when you are that wild. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Different payrolls. The Giants have more money invested in just their rotation of Webb, Ray, Snell, and Hicks, than the Rays spend in a decade. 

How many were the O's back when they traded Mancini?

12 minutes ago, LockUpTheGunner said:

I predict the Orioles will make a trade with the Marlins and get a reliever and a starting pitcher in return.

Is this a fanfare prediction, or do you have some reason/source to call it an educated prediction?

11 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ward would fit as the RHH and we'd be willing to take a little money on.  A deal with the Angels for Ward and Anderson would entail taking salary on, them not being rentals, and plugging two needs for us.  Who of the position players goes to make room for Ward though?  Urias?  

I think our needs are RH LF, SP for at least Game 4, and RP.  

Ward has 2.5 years remaining.  Anderson has 1.5 years remaining.  Ward has a .906 OPS vs LHP this year.  S;uarez would then go to the pen.  So that trade in a way, solves our bare minimum needs and might not cost so much in prospects because of the salaries.  

I do like Tyler Anderson. I think he's a good value lefty if you can get him at the right time. He seems to fluctuate between great seasons an no so great/average seasons. 2024 is a great season so far for him.