The 2024 Trade Deadline

23 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Am I the only one that doesn’t think we need a 5th starter improvement per se? It would be nice, but come playoffs it’s not needed. If I had to choose, I’d rather get a big time BP arm.

Now I can understand wanting to improve the ceiling of our rotation with a Snell, Flaherty, etc. But I don’t think we need another starter just to make sure our #5 spot is better. 

Pitchers get injured and it’s very hard to bring in talent into the organization after tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

The Rays may have found it quite valuable to lower next year’s payroll by $18M. 

They have the biggest albatross contract in baseball facing them with Wander Franco.  I wonder if they can get out of it if he's convicted?

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Are we dodging or getting shut out?  Only Anderson and Flaherty left. IMO. 

Snell is widely reported to be available, regardless of your own personal opinion about their deadline plans, and there are absolutely other arms out there for the right price that aren't being reported on. 

And if the option is Montas or no further additions to the rotation, I'm standing pat.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

By getting a decent starter and possibly a decent reliever?

Those moves are not going to put us over the top.

You said he had to do more than last year. Eflin and Dominguez is not more than Flaherty and Fujinami?

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Snell is widely reported to be available, regardless of your own personal opinion about their deadline plans, and there are absolutely other arms out there for the right price that aren't being reported on. 

And if the option is Montas or no further additions to the rotation, I'm standing pat.

There are multiple options even if some are unlikely to be made available.

Skubal 

Crochet

Snell

Bassitt

Eovaldi

Detmers

Blackburn

Eovaldi

Heaney

Trevor Williams

Jon Gray

Jesus Luzardo

Braxton Garrett

A Mariners pitcher

9 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Feels like they gave up more for Kikuchi than the O’s did for Eflin. Wild.

Insane return for Kikuchi. Kikuchi is arguably Cole Irvin equivalent and we got 4 years of Irvin for Hernaiz. Toronto gets a guy who is arguably better than Kikuchi right now plus Loperfido and an infielder batting .300 in AAA.