The 2024 Trade Deadline

4 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

Everything has a price.  In my view guys like Holliday, Mayo, and Basallo extend our competitive window.  Trading them shrinks the window.  I would have given one of them up for Skubal or Crochet, but not two. 

In baseball I believe that more bites at the apple, given the random nature of the playoffs, is more valuable than trying to take a big bite.

So basically one of the top 12ish prospects in the sport could not highlight a package for a difference making SP?

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Are we discernibly better for October? 

Yes Eflin is better by far than anything that we had. But what else. The Phillies couldn't wait to offload Dominguez. Now are we going to believe that we are a better team that they are or have a bullpen anywhere close to as good with the likes of Dominguez, Kimbrel, and Cano?

Yes. Don’t overlook Dominguez. That was a slick pickup. Just got lumped into the drama trading Hays. 

We picked up a game 3 and 4 SP. And a playoff tested high leverage reliever. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Yes Eflin is better by far than anything that we had. But what else. The Phillies couldn't wait to offload Dominguez. Now are we going to believe that we are a better team that they are or have a bullpen anywhere close to as good with the likes of Dominguez, Kimbrel, and Cano?

Yes we are better for October. 5 days ago we had Kremer in a game 3, and Suarez in a game 4. Now we have Eflin in Game 3 and Rogers or Kremer (whoever is better at the time) in game 4. 

Dominguez is certainly a playoff upgrade for our pen as well. I'd rather have him out there than Bryan Baker.

Edited by terpoh

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Dominguez was Philly's best reliever by far last October. I think you're grossly exaggerating how anxious they were to offload him. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yes. Don’t overlook Dominguez. That was a slick pickup. Just got lumped into the drama trading Hays. 

We picked up a game 3 and 4 SP. And a playoff tested high leverage reliever. 

I like the Dominguez pick up, bit ideally this team needs an additional high leverage bullpen arm. A stronger starting rotation and bullpen reinforcements will give this pitching staff running on fumes a boost.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ramon Urias and Jorge Mateo will be back next year. Those dudes are true O’s. Mateo is Mr. Oriole. 

I'm already excited about next year's team.  Maybe the first extensions Rubenstein will give out will be Urias and Mateo.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

So basically one of the top 12ish prospects in the sport could not highlight a package for a difference making SP?

If only one of Basallo or Mayo was what it would have taken as the lead in a package to acquire Skubal, I have no doubts he would be an Oriole right now. You clearly think there are more "difference making" SPs than are actually out on the market right now.