The 2024 Trade Deadline

13 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

It's not that they can outbid us...they can not. But they can outbid what we're willing to give up.

I don't know what the Elias and the front office is willing to give up. If many on this board have their way, it will not be much at all.

But if what you say is true, then to me that means that we really don't want him. In order to get a pitcher as good as Skubal you are going to have to give in order to get. That's just the way it is.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, casadeozo said:

Yes Depaula and Ryan are both top 30 prospects

Our top 3 are top 15 guys.

Also, Ryan has thrown all of 20 innings this season so I think it's a little early if someone has shot him up a board midseason. He wasn't that great last year. And Detroit is in need of position player talent/offense more than anything.

I am very confident that our top 3 would be much more appealing to Detroit than either of the 2 that you mentioned (especially Ryan).

4 minutes ago, hydropups said:

I'd be interested in keeping our top 3, but would they take the next 7 as an adequate return? 

Let's look at it like this. They have one of the most valued commodities at the deadline, a Cy Young level SP. 

Why would they take back a return that includes ZERO top 100 players? Do you think no other contending team could easily beat that?

I’d give up one of the big 3 for Skubal. If it’s Holliday then I’m probably going to add some throw in. Holliday, Bradfield Jr, Stowers, and Seth Johnson? If you take out Holiday and replace it with Mayo or Basallo then you can replace Stowers with Norby or Beavers.

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Our top 3 are top 15 guys.

Also, Ryan has thrown all of 20 innings this season so I think it's a little early if someone has shot him up a board midseason. He wasn't that great last year. And Detroit is in need of position player talent/offense more than anything.

I am very confident that our top 3 would be much more appealing to Detroit than either of the 2 that you mentioned (especially Ryan).

Well we’re not trading all 3 so it’s sort of a moot point. We’re probably not even trading 2 of the 3.

so it really comes down to what DET values more. Dodgers also have players at the major league level they could offer that have graduated. They are super deep as always

I would very much doubt that we give up 2 of our top 3. 

Basallo, Norby, Stowers/Bradfield, Urias. 

Top 10 prospect, borderline top 100, MLB ready OF or Speedy College OF, Established veteran

Edited by terpoh

1 minute ago, casadeozo said:

Well we’re not trading all 3 so it’s sort of a moot point. We’re probably not even trading 2 of the 3.

so it really comes down to what DET values more. Dodgers also have players at the major league level they could offer that have graduated. They are super deep as always

The Dodgers best players are all on expensive contracts. We have better Major League and Minor assets. 

IMO if we get outbid by the Dodgers it is because we didn't want that player. Not because the Dodgers have better assets/a better package to offer.

Just now, terpoh said:

I would very much doubt that we give up 2 of our top 3. 

Basallo, Norby, Stowers, Urias. 

Top 10 prospect, borderline top 100, MLB ready OF, Established veteran

I don't think that we would give up two top 15 prospects. Just about no orgs (maybe not named the Padres would).

However, I can't see DET having any interest Urias. They are going to want younger assets to match the timeline of their best prospects.

20 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't know what the Elias and the front office is willing to give up. If many on this board have their way, it will not be much at all.

But if what you say is true, then to me that means that we really don't want him. In order to get a pitcher as good as Skubal you are going to have to give in order to get. That's just the way it is.

I agree, I'm just saying the answer to 'how can they can outbid us?' is pretty simple.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't think that we would give up two top 15 prospects. Just about no orgs (maybe not named the Padres would).

However, I can't see DET having any interest Urias. They are going to want younger assets to match the timeline of their best prospects.

Just trying to selfishly create the roster spot for Mayo lol.

2 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

I agree, I'm just saying the answer to 'how can they can outbid us?' is pretty simple.

Is that "outbidding" though? I thought outbidding was when your best offer is able to beat my best offer?

I agree that they can acquire Skubal if we are unwilling to give up the necesarry high valued assets.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Is that "outbidding" though? I thought outbidding was when your best offer is able to beat my best offer?

I agree that they can acquire Skubal if we are unwilling to give up the necesarry high valued assets.

Yeah, I mean if you look at it as no one can beat our best offer then, sure, no one would really argue that there isn't anyone that can beat our best offer.

Edited by scbalt52