The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 hours ago, Keygans said:

Rumor:  Nardi s really good 

Been saying this since the offseason.  Him and Erceg.  Would love to add them.

The pen just needs so much help. I think we could literally DFA the whole pen outside of Kimbrel and it wouldn’t matter.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

If Elias doesn't add a dependable starter better than Kremer, I could see this team collapse.  The O's #4 and 5 spots are being filled by Povich, Suarez, Irvin and now McDermott.  None of those give me any optimism on a win unless the offense has an explosion.  I think Povich needs more seasoning and is probably a #5 starter at best.  Irvin is a #5/swingman.  Suarez is trending back towards a KBO starter.  McDermott looks like he could be good for an inning or two at a time, in other words, a reliever.  Yeah, I don't want to sound like Chicken Little, but who's the 2 starters waiting in line behind McDermott please let me know?  I think the offense will take care of itself, although I would figure out a way to get Mayo up here sooner rather than later.  I would be nice if the coaches worked on patience for the hitters in the offseason/spring training.  Seems like it's too late for this year.  Cabrera was throwing like 42% strikes, but the O's were swinging at any and everything. 

• Upvote 1

This offseason is going to be interesting if we only get rentals. We're looking at GRod, Kremer and basically zero after that for 2025. Doesn't mean we HAVE to trade for a controllable start now. But depending on the options, it sure would be nice to at least secure one.

If the last 2 games against one of the worst teams in baseball isn’t proof enough that Elias needs to shake things up, then might as well make it 42 years!

We need a TOR type pitcher and a Jack Flaherty type doesn’t cut it. If we somehow regain form and make the playoffs, we’re really gonna roll out Burnes, GRod and Kremer?? Seriously … especially with how inconsistent the bullpen has been all year? 

Cmon Elias! Bring up Mayo … do you really think he will do worse than Urias? Bring up JH … Mateo should be a part time player. 

What good is a great farm system if there are giant holes on the big league team? I suppose we can always take great pride in having a great farm system when we are bounced again at the end of the season. Woohoo!

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Elias has to be careful here.

Folks seem to believe that if we bring in a Skubal level starter we will be World Series favorites.

I'm not sure that is true. This team is playing poorly and has many holes in the bullpen and in the lineup. Offense has been horrid for a long time. Just lost a series to one of the worst teams in baseball.

Skubal alone isn't going to fix this roster. 

The difference is that the offense is going to get better, but the starting pitching is not.  We have a bunch of good hitters in slumps now and everyone is hitting poorly with RISP.   Those are temporary issues.  Better to get them out of the way now.  We may also get help from Holliday and Mayo down the stretch.  The offense is going to be fine.   

The bullpen needs a reliable lefty (especially with Coulombe out) but I've liked what I've seen from Smith and Nittoli, and Suarez could also help if he's bumped from the rotation.   Overall, the bullpen has been the least of our problems lately.  

But we only have two playoff-worthy starting pitchers, and the only way that is going to change is through trades.  I'd be fine making a big trade for Skubal; I'd also be fine with getting Fedde or Snell or Scherzer as a third starter, and either way we should also get a solid fourth starter like Tailllon.   If we wind up doing nothing for the rotation or getting bargain basement options like Montas, that will be a massive failure on the part of Elias, and it will seriously jeopardize our chances of going far in the playoffs, if we even get there.  

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Elias waiting on the perfect move to inject Mayo‘s bat into our lineup is costing us at the MLB level now. 

In your opinion

1. What would be "the perfect move to inject Mayo‘s bat into our lineup"
  2. After that "perfect move", if Mayo struggles with the adjustment to ML pitching and provides poor defense, what is the contingency plan?

11 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

In your opinion

2. After that "perfect move", if Mayo struggles with the adjustment to ML pitching and provides poor defense, what is the contingency plan?

I'm not saying that Mayo struggling to hit and field is not a real possibility, but I dont know why we act like we have nothing else available if he completely falters. Especially when the alternative is running Urias/Mateo out there every day. If Mayo comes up and looks like April Holliday at the plate we still have several options at 2B with Holliday 2.0 and Norby which would slide Westy to 3B full time. Obviously losing Mateo hurts this a little more because now you've probably lost Urias and Mateo. There is no perfect time, and there is always the possibility of him struggling both offensively and defensively. But one thing I do know, running Urias and Mateo out there every day has not helped the team, and the team is in need of a wake up call.

If the plan is to play Mayo exclusively at 1B and DH, well then you probably have traded Mountcastle instead of Urias and you've Got O'Hearn/Santander/Urias (in a pinch) as other 1B options as well if Mayo struggles.

Edited by terpoh
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Relief pitching doesn’t really matter unless you have a lead. Therefore, RP ranks 3rd on our needs. We shouldn’t spend any assets on RP until we acquire Two 2 SP. 

SP 

SP 

RP

RH CF

Mayo for Mountcastle

Holliday at 2nd Base

I doubt you see Holliday. But, Norby is here and more ready than Holliday anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

In your opinion

Elias is waiting on the perfect move. One, waiting to September for rosters to expand from 26 to 28. In order not to lose anyone. Two, waiting on a trade offer for one of Urias or Mountcastle to open up a spot. 

Mayo is no guarantee. Just like Holliday wasn’t. But if you’re afraid to call up those guys with their AAA stats and prospect rankings, then when will you not be afraid to call up a prospect. 

That stretch of having no days off got us. We’re a tired team. But… we have fresh legs in the minors and great quality fresh legs. It’s time to trust our depth and our guys. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

In your opinion

Keep Urias around as he can play 1st, 3rd, SS. Trade Mounty. Mayo at 1B….

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Yup,  but if we’re waiting to get something for Mounty though, then that is going to go down to deadline day. Meanwhile, the offense is offensive. 

9 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

In your opinion

Contingency plan? We don’t need no stinky contingency plan! lol

Haven’t you heard Coby Mayo is the right handed version of Babe Ruth? Plus he walks on water and I heard he can cure all forms of disease… j/k

He may struggle like most. But he is doing the Orioles no good just sitting at AAA at this point. Either trade so we can get a difference maker to help us or bring him up and allow him to do at worst what the majority of the lineup is doing. What do we have to lose at this point?

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

(Just playing the contrarian here)

So if we trade Mountcastle, call up Mayo, and Mayo struggles mightily, the backup plan is Urias getting more ABs?