The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Elias will be uber cautious/extremely conservative as always, so we don’t need to worry about that.

However, I don’t agree that we should be as dogmatic about that list of 3. If we have a chance to acquire a player/piece who is the last piece to the championship puzzle AND can help us for future seasons. I would be open to surrendering one of Basallo or Mayo.

If in some wild timeline we actually trade for Mason Miller, that trade almost by definition would include Basallo or Mayo. 

But highly doubtful he even is traded much less Elias agrees to what it would take. 

19 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Pete Fairbanks could be an interesting option. The Rays are the type of club that is less likely to be adverse to trading in-division, and traded with the Orioles previously in the 3-team Mancini deal. 

Fairbanks is under contract for 2025 with an option for 2026, so a bit more than a rental. His velo looks a little down this year, his numbers have slipped a bit and he’s had injury issues in the past, so the Rays may see it as prudent to try to cash in at the trade deadline if this looks like a lost year for them.

Meanwhile for the Orioles, there are only so many high octane RPs that will even be available, and when Fairbanks is right he’s that unhittable type shutdown RP that they’re lacking.

Fairbanks is good but his FB velo is down almost 2 MPH this year which is concerning. His FB whiff rate is also down from 30% last year to 19% this year. It’s still a good pitch but the velo decline along with the whiff rate (which had been 31% from 2020-2022 is well) could be an ongoing concern. 

48 minutes ago, interloper said:

What is the most you'd give up for Tanner Scott? 

Nothing. Don’t want him. We need a very good, reliable piece to anchor the back end of the bullpen.

Scott is more of a gamble. I don’t want to gamble with our chances at a World Series. The rest of the roster deserves better than that. 

Elias tried that last year with Flaherty and Fuji. And we saw how useful they both were in October.

17 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Both, although he's most likely traded. Or at least, that's probably the route we need to take. Shipping him out for 1/2 season of a guy with a 1.25 WHIP and 3.77 FIP doesn't sound like a good plan to me. 

His season numbers are still heavily skewed by a bad April. He had a very good May and it’s continuing into June.

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Nothing. Don’t want him. We need a very good, reliable piece to anchor the back end of the bullpen.

Scott is more of a gamble. I don’t want to gamble with our chances at a World Series. The rest of the roster deserves better than that. 

Elias tried that last year with Flaherty and Fuji. And we saw how useful they both were in October.

While I understand this view of Scott completely, the numbers he's got right now are anything but a crapshoot. No comparison to Fuji whatsoever. 

• Upvote 1

We need to come to terms with the reality that if we play KC in the AL Wild Card Series that we will face Ragans in Game 1, and possibly one of Snell/Montgomery/Luzardo in Game 2. They could come into OPACY and follow the same strategy the Rangers did last year. 

If we get past them the Yankees already have Cortez and Rodon. They likely will get one of Snell/Luazardo/Montgomery themselves. 

Meaning, JD Martinez, is the vet RH playoff tested bat we need. He’s not a long term piece, but a very valuable matchup piece for the playoffs. Gotta think if we don’t get him, that the Royals might. 

I don’t want to lose in the first rd to KC. 

10 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

He hasn't allowed a run in his last 12 appearances. He hasn't allowed an earned run in his past 18 appearances.

• Upvote 1

There's big gaps between Fuji, Tanner Scott, and an established shut down closer. We shouldn't overpay for someone like Tanner Scott. If we can get him for appropriate value, sure let's do it. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We need to come to terms with the reality that if we play KC in the AL Wild Card Series that we will face Ragans in Game 1, and possibly one of Snell/Montgomery/Luzardo in Game 2. They could come into OPACY and follow the same strategy the Rangers did last year. 

If we get past them the Yankees already have Cortez and Rodon. They likely will get one of Snell/Luazardo/Montgomery themselves. 

Meaning, JD Martinez, is the vet RH playoff tested bat we need. He’s not a long term piece, but a very valuable matchup piece for the playoffs. Gotta think if we don’t get him, that the Royals might. 

We have the 2nd best OPS (.805) in the league vs LHP and it's a pretty big gap to 3rd.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Don’t forget about Mayo in this equation. He could be a DH.  

5 minutes ago, G54377 said:

There's big gaps between Fuji, Tanner Scott, and an established shut down closer. We shouldn't overpay for someone like Tanner Scott. If we can get him for appropriate value, sure let's do it. 

The gap is much bigger between Fuji and Scott than it is between Scott and an elite shutdown closer.

The only difference is, Scott is realistically attainable and an elite closer is not.

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

The gap is much bigger between Fuji and Scott than it is between Scott and an elite shutdown closer.

The only difference is, Scott is realistically attainable and an elite closer is not.

True about the gap yea. We really don't know who's going to be available right now. Scott probably will be. Main point, If I am Elias I am not throwing all my best trade chips in the pot for Tanner Scott. That's just not a guy that's likely to move the needle enough, and it's only for 1/2 a season. If we got him for another year or two that'd be a little different. 

2 minutes ago, G54377 said:

True about the gap yea. We really don't know who's going to be available right now. Scott probably will be. Main point, If I am Elias I am not throwing all my best trade chips in the pot for Tanner Scott. That's just not a guy that's likely to move the needle enough, and it's only for 1/2 a season. If we got him for another year or two that'd be a little different. 

I think you are overrating Norby as a trade chip