The 2024 Trade Deadline

12 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

Does anyone think any of the big 3 will be traded today. I think there is zero chance of it. Elias loves the farm system and it seems to be hard for him to give up anyone. 

I don’t think so either. Until Elias shows a willingness to make a bold move, I’ll assume he stays calculated and risk averse.

7 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

Does anyone think any of the big 3 will be traded today. I think there is zero chance of it. Elias loves the farm system and it seems to be hard for him to give up anyone. 

I just looked at Holliday's Fangraphs page. A couple of interesting things (to me).

1. ZIPS projects Holliday to hit ~.255 with an OPS of ~.730 in 2025 and 2026.
2. Even with his very good wRC+ (141), he's hitting only .271 in AAA this year. Note, Mayo is somewhere in the 130's for wRC+.
3. Holliday has an approximate .160 spread between his batting average and his OBP. That's because of his absurd 21.7 bb%.

On one hand, the walks are awesome while the 22.3 k% is acceptable. On the other hand, I wonder if he's going to hit the ball enough to be a true impact major leaguer. 

If I were to trade one of the top 3, I think it's Holliday. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jackson-holliday/31781/stats?position=2B

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

I would be surprised if one of Holliday, Mayo or Basallo is not an Oriole at 6pm this evening. Skubal is the only pitcher available where I see Elias would use one of the top three prospects and by all reports those players aren't in any trade discussions.

Elias should be able to get bullpen help without having to overpay. Now if Elias decides to acquire another starter then it will probably be an Eflin type without giving up one of the top three.

I will settle for a Scott-level reliever today and call the deadline a relative win. In a season where we need so much at the deadline, it's just really hard to actually get everything you need with so much competition for arms. 

I would love a Scott-level reliever and another SP. I'm not sure it's incredibly likely though. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I will settle for a Scott-level reliever today and call the deadline a relative win. In a season where we need so much at the deadline, it's just really hard to actually get everything you need with so much competition for arms. 

I would love a Scott-level reliever and another SP. I'm not sure it's incredibly likely though. 

I agree, although Snell could be available at a relatively affordable prospect cost. 

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'd like seeing Scott + Tyler Anderson and Kevin Pillar. I'm also watching Dylan Carlson who seems like an Elias type guy to me and the Cards are gonna dump him.

I think I just saw the pinnacle of Jon Morosi being a mass entertainer rather than a journalist.

He just speculated the winning offer the Orioles should do for Tarik Skubal is Jackson Holliday, Coby Mayo and either Samuel Basallo or Kyle Stowers.

He does not understand these things very well.    He is just saying names casual fans have heard of to build excitement.

Even Mark DeRosa and Al Leiter on the couch reacted like, "that was dumb".

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Reports are they are not trading Snell now. 

Could be posturing. I think if they get a good offer they would listen (although that goes against my previous comment of him being affordable haha).

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think I just saw the pinnacle of Jon Morosi being a mass entertainer rather than a journalist.

He just speculated the winning offer the Orioles should do for Tarik Skubal is Jackson Holliday, Coby Mayo and either Samuel Basallo or Kyle Stowers.

He does not understand these things very well.    He is just saying names casual fans have heard of to build excitement.

Yeah that's pretty terrible. Losing a lot of respect for Morosi this deadline. I used to think he was one of the good ones, but now I'm not sure he's any better than a Bowden or Heyman. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Ah yes, the well-known interchangeable duo of Kyle Stowers and Samuel Basallo, whose trade value is nearly identical...

...wait, WHAT?!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Plus they're going into their first off season with new ownership.  I would be pretty ticked as a fan if they spent prospects like a kid in a candy store for just one shot at it.

I don’t know who’s advocating this? I haven’t seen it here or elsewhere.

However, one of Holliday, Mayo, or Basallo should almost certainly be able to land us an equal talent on the pitching side. Which is where we are very weak.

10 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Thanks for sharing that.  It's crazy that he thinks that... or he's just trying to drum up a controversial take for ratings.  Either way, it's foolish.