The 2024 Trade Deadline

9 minutes ago, LockUpTheGunner said:

I wouldn't say that Mike won the trade deadline but he certainly did a great job. I was a little worried after the horrible trade deadline trades that we endured last year.

Who did you want him to trade for?  You do know that Skubal and Crochet weren’t traded. It’s hard to trade for players that weren’t really available. Is anyone upset that he didn’t outbid the Padres for Tanner Scott?

Name a deal that took place that you think Elias should’ve made?  Can’t say trade for players that weren’t traded, because nobody else was able to trade for them either. 

8 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Rotation:

Burnes, Rodriguez, Eflin, Kremer, Rogers

Bullpen:

Kimbrel, Cano, Dominguez, Perez, Webb, Akin, Soto, Suarez

Smith optioned?

C- Adley

1B: Mountcastle

2B: Westburg

3B: Urias

SS: Henderson

LF: Cowser

CF: Mullins

RF: Santander

DH: O’Hearn

Bench: McCann, Jimenez, Vavra (or another IF), Slater/Pache/Kjerstad

Assuming that Kierstad gets sent down then? They need a backup CF’er and why would they get Jimenez and not keep him on the 26 man.

2 out of Slater/Pache/Kjerstad have to be sent down?  Does Slater have options?

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Who did you want him to trade for?  You do know that Skubal and Crochet weren’t traded. It’s hard to trade for players that weren’t really available. Is anyone upset that he didn’t outbid the Padres for Tanner Scott?

Name a deal that took place that you think Elias should’ve made?  Can’t say trade for players that weren’t traded, because nobody else was able to trade for them either. 

It would have been nice to get a Fairbanks or Finnegan even. 

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't think so. The type of moves that Elias has been making won't fly in NY.

New York city and Yankees fans are many things. But patient is not one. They are not going to continue to be pacified with the line, "but just wait until next year".

Yeah, because if there's anything Yankee fans won't stand for, it's being in first place at the trade deadline.

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I think that Elias believed this was a World Series contender at the start of the season. He may have been willing to make a big splash at the deadline with one of the top prospects. Then Bradish, Means and Wells all went down, then Coulombe.  Then Mateo. At that point I wonder if he came to believe that it was ok to just duct tape some roster holes to make the playoffs, hold on to all of the young talent, and go to battle in the offseason.

Just uninformed speculation on my part. 

Solid take. 

Out of rep. 

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

2 out of Slater/Pache/Kjerstad have to be sent down?  Does Slater have options?

Yeah that’s what I don’t get because it doesn’t seem like Slater has an option. Jimenez/Slater as the two OF’ers on the bench isn’t great considering Jimenez shouldn’t see the field and they are both worse than Kjerstad.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I would have liked to have traded for Garcia from the Blue Jays.  He had a sub 3 ERA and a high K rate.  I would have rather had him than Soto--would have cost more. 

5 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I think that Elias believed this was a World Series contender at the start of the season. He may have been willing to make a big splash at the deadline with one of the top prospects. Then Bradish, Means and Wells all went down, then Coulombe.  Then Mateo. At that point I wonder if he came to believe that it was ok to just duct tape some roster holes to make the playoffs, hold on to all of the young talent, and go to battle in the offseason.

Just uninformed speculation on my part. 

I get where you are coming from.

But conversely this is the one season where you have Corbin Burnes under control. And who is to say that there won't be injuries next year or in any future year?

1 minute ago, LGOrioles said:

Yeah that’s what I don’t get because it doesn’t seem like Slater has an option. Jimenez/Slater as the two OF’ers on the bench isn’t great considering Jimenez shouldn’t see the field and they are both worse than Kjerstad.

...and Hays.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I get where you are coming from.

But conversely this is the one season where you have Corbin Burnes under control. And who is to say that there won't be injuries next year or in any future year?

Agreed, and I love the contrarian angle. However, If Bradish is #2 behind Burnes, and even one of Wells/Means slots behind Bradish, then I'm with you 100%. I'm just wondering if there were too many holes to fill?

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Maybe the O's are secretly at the front of the line for the offseason Crochet trade. 

Tell you one thing. I wanted to tell Crochet to suck it, and I'm glad he's still on a sucky team. You don't get to dictate what happens to you until you get to free agency. He acted like he was prime Pedro Martinez. 

• Upvote 1