Extend Burnes

Big Al

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Agreed. The question is what Bradfield/Beavers might get us 9-10 months from now, as they progress and other guys graduate. I think Ortiz was actually the second piece in the Burnes deal... But regardless both Hall and Ortiz were both in the bottom half of the top 100, a level below Mayo/Basallo. I'm just not going to hold my breath on a Burnes/Cole type signing. Even with our new owners there is always going to be teams who can outbid us. The guy I'd really covet is Roki Sasaki but appears the Dodgers have the inside track.

I don't think those guys are going to get you anything near TOR.

I don't think we can afford to annually give up a couple top 100 prospects for a rental TOR- at least not yet.

Plenty were willing to part w Cowser last year, but how would we feel about our OF situation this year, and going forward, without Cowser in the mix?

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Huh?  

Guys like Bradfield and Beavers aren't as valuable as Ortiz was last year.

Right now we have 3 prospects rated at or better (and they are all better) than Ortiz last year: Mayo, Basallo, and Kjerstad.

Can we afford to deal one of those three for another rental TOR this off-season?  

As of today, I wouldn't feel great about that.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Right now we have 3 prospects rated at or better (and they are all better) than Ortiz last year: Mayo, Basallo, and Kjerstad.

Can we afford to deal one of those three for another rental TOR this off-season?  

You said Ortiz was in the range of Basallo. That’s completely laughable.  They aren’t even close. 

Bradfield has been in the range of Ortiz, as some have him just inside the top 100 and some don’t. Now, a few places did place Ortiz higher than any spot Bradfield has been but it took a while for Ortiz to be ranked and Bradfield not so much.

Beavers will be there soon enough and since Beavers is much younger, they definitely could value Beavers as much or more than a guy like Ortiz…especially a team that’s far away.

41 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You said Ortiz was in the range of Basallo. That’s completely laughable.  They aren’t even close. 

Bradfield has been in the range of Ortiz, as some have him just inside the top 100 and some don’t. Now, a few places did place Ortiz higher than any spot Bradfield has been but it took a while for Ortiz to be ranked and Bradfield not so much.

Beavers will be there soon enough and since Beavers is much younger, they definitely could value Beavers as much or more than a guy like Ortiz…especially a team that’s far away.

I said nothing of the sort.

You can project all you want, but as of now, neither Bradfield nor Beavers are as valuable as Ortiz was last off-season.  That's not to mention D.L. Hall.

You're not getting a Burnes type pitcher with a deal headlined by either of those guys as of now.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ummmm

Yes, and if you read one more post I clearly state they're better than Ortiz.

I should have said nobody matches Ortiz except for those guys or something.

My point was Bradfield and Beavers aren't as valuable as Ortiz at the point of trade.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EddeeEddee said:

I think the Ubaldo Jimenez contract is still the largest the O's have ever given out to a free agent starter.  

No, Alex Cobb’s deal (4/$57 mm) was bigger.  

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I said nothing of the sort.

You can project all you want, but as of now, neither Bradfield nor Beavers are as valuable as Ortiz was last off-season.  That's not to mention D.L. Hall.

You're not getting a Burnes type pitcher with a deal headlined by either of those guys as of now.

We are talking about 8-9 months from now. This article had Hall as 93 and Ortiz below him at time of trade. I think it is feasible we could have a couple of guys in that range going into this offseason plus we will be getting whole class of draft picks. Stowers' stock is rising. Trying to compete with NYY and LAD in free agency just isnt a good plan. Most likely outcome is losing out to NYY/LAD. Next most likely outcome is massive overpay. Team friendly deal would be rare.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/corbin-burnes-trade-breaking-down-every-orioles-brewers-player-involved/

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Of course Holliday as well. Anyways Mayo, Basallo no. As for Kjerstad?, depends on how Stowers does with his chance and what their going to with Mountcastle and to a lesser extent O'Hearn.

Any money we have ready to throw at an extension should be used on Gunnar.

Let's not make another Chris Davis mistake and run out of money for the likes of Manny.  Not saying that's definitely what happened in that situation but it was a dumb use of money.

I’d give Burnes whatever the heck he wanted. Here’s how good Burnes is, he’s the 2nd betting favorite for the AL CYA and people act like he could be doing more. That’s how good he is. 

He’s the first of the extension pieces that needs to happen. Gunnar 2. Adley 3. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d give Burnes whatever the heck he wanted. Here’s how good Burnes is, he’s the 2nd betting favorite for the AL CYA and people act like he could be doing more. That’s how good he is. 

He’s the first of the extension pieces that needs to happen. Gunnar 2. Adley 3. 

You'd rather give a huge contract extension to a pitcher in his 30s over a 22 year old SS who some may argue is the best player in the game right now??

• Upvote 1