Cade Povich 2024

Pickles

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Young is deserving, and Rogers will be another option. Even on a contending team we need to find these guys opportunities. I don't think we should stack the team with Kyle Gibson types. 

I think a lot of folks are missing that Elias did his shopping early in the acquisitions of Eflin and Rogers. I am expecting one additional guy. Two would be overkill imo unless we are talking about minor league contract types. 

I disagree that acquiring two starting pitchers in the offseason is overkill.  I don't really think it's possible to acquire too much starting pitching; haven't we learned that this year??  Let's also not get too carried away with a few really good starts from Povich, or think we can count on Rogers and his diminished velocity/stats for next year.  Furthermore, Rodriguez is starting to look injury prone with the same injury keeping him out for half the year two out of last three years.  And Eflin is only under contract for next year.  Finally, our system is extremely thin with legit starting pitcher prospects so we can't count on a talent pipeline there for at least the next few years.  We absolutely need to acquire at least two starting pitchers in the offseason.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 1fingerwillie said:

If we get two starters, then they would be fighting it out for the 6th spot, no?

Well I see the true definites being Eflin and GRod and even GRod is starting to worry me with his injuries. I guess you can say Kremer but I was very disappointed in him this year. I don't know I just feel like if they lose Burnes I would feel better with adding 2 quality starters. 

11 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

Well I see the true definites being Eflin and GRod and even GRod is starting to worry me with his injuries. I guess you can say Kremer but I was very disappointed in him this year. I don't know I just feel like if they lose Burnes I would feel better with adding 2 quality starters. 

We need to resign Burnes, or replace him with someone comparable.  If you want to win the World Series, you need a legitimate ace.  We don't need two sign 2 backend guys.  

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

We need to resign Burnes, or replace him with someone comparable.  If you want to win the World Series, you need a legitimate ace.  We don't need two sign 2 backend guys.  

Yea, the 2023 Rangers had deGrom and Scherzer.

5 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Do you think they resign Means? Should be cheap. When is he supposed to be eligible to pitch again?

I think it depends on when they think he would be eligible to return. If they could get him on a split major-minor league deal so he doesn't take up a 40-man spot I don't think they should be opposed to resigning him. 

AS this year showed us. You can never have too much starting pitching.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

We got Eflin. He is your Burnes replacement. We start the year with Eflin-Grayson-Kremer. That isn't much different than Burnes-Grayson-Kremer. If you sign two more SP there is no room for any of Povich, Suarez , Rogers, Young and McDermott. I do not think Kremer is going to be our 5th starter. 

1 hour ago, Baseball fandom said:

How bout we keep Burns and sign Cole when he opts out? That should be three years of domination before we have to shed a lot of payroll. 

32 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We got Eflin. He is your Burnes replacement. We start the year with Eflin-Grayson-Kremer. That isn't much different than Burnes-Grayson-Kremer. If you sign two more SP there is no room for any of Povich, Suarez , Rogers, Young and McDermott. I do not think Kremer is going to be our 5th starter. 

With respect, it is unwise to count on Grayson throwing a full season of innings. It is also unwise to count on Bradish, Means, Wells.

I do hope we re-sign John Means, but we shouldn’t count on him throwing 100 innings.

We must acquire two solid, reliable, healthy, and young arms. That will be expensive and it will be expensive in money because we no longer have a deep farm.

10 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

With respect, it is unwise to count on Grayson throwing a full season of innings. It is also unwise to count on Bradish, Means, Wells.

I do hope we re-sign John Means, but we shouldn’t count on him throwing 100 innings.

We must acquire two solid, reliable, healthy, and young arms. That will be expensive and it will be expensive in money because we no longer have a deep farm.

Do viable depth guys on minor league contracts count? I think you're going to end up disappointed. 

3 hours ago, Brian88 said:

Am I crazy for considering starting Povich over Suarez if we make it past the wildcard round? Povich has been the better starter of late and Suarez is probably the better bullpen arm than Povich with how many lefty relievers we have.

Yes, but remember that Perez is one of the lefties!

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Do viable depth guys on minor league contracts count? I think you're going to end up disappointed. 

To be honest, I don’t know how you manage six or seven solid starting pitchers.

My point is that you cannot count on the guys that I mentioned being healthy all season, and it would be short sighted to expect it.

With that in mind, you have to make reasonable preparations. Right now we have exactly one dependable reliable starter and that’s Eflin. Kremer is fine but he’s only  #5. We cannot count on Suarez, repeating his success. We cannot rely on Povich for an entire season because he’s probably not even a number five. 

Means should be willing to take a minor-league deal