06/11 Roster Moves: Mateo reinstated from Concussion List and Bryan Baker recalled. (Coulombe to 15 Day IL and Norby back to Norfolk)

3 hours ago, Jagwar said:

The team needs a starter and now arguably TWO relievers. I'm nervous about what it is going to cost in prospects.

Do we need a starter tho? Burnes bradish and Grayson are a pretty elite top 3….and Irvin and Suarez have been excellent…and kremer should be set to return soon. Could we add depth? Sure. But wouldn’t think starter is a high priority at the moment. Adding a starter and kremer returning pushes Irvin to the pen, which doesn’t make a ton of sense given our lack of lefty starters (not to mention how good he’s been). 

9 hours ago, Jagwar said:

The team needs a starter and now arguably TWO relievers. I'm nervous about what it is going to cost in prospects.

They dont need 3 more likely one. What they need is guys to keep stepping up, Povich gets his chance later today.

16 hours ago, dtk9119 said:

Why Baker? Vespi could have been recalled since he is replacing an injured player. I haven't looked closely at Baker's stats lately but he's been pretty bad since the end of last year.

In his last 9 appearances dating back to 5/18, he only allowed runs in one appearances (3 in an inning) and has held batters to a .161/.235/.290/.526 over that time. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not with Atlanta, Philly and the Yankees all falling within his 15 days.  You couldn’t pick a worse time for “load management.”   What a terrible time for us to be without our best lefty reliever.   

Yeah, no way this is "load management" IL stint. They said he felt soreness while playing catch. Let's just hoping it's more a "sore arm" stint than anything major. Coulombe is one of the few impact relievers that we have an his loss would be huge if it ends up being anything more than the 15 days. 

This could certainly prompt Elias to be more aggressive in trying to get an impact reliever in trade. We need another guy late who can get righties and lefties out and doesn't have to match up.

• Upvote 1

I can’t for the life of me figure out why this organization keeps giving Baker chances. He is awful and 5 minor league innings doesn’t change that. He is the Ryan McKenna of pitchers. 

It happening after the first push to 2 innings and 30 pitches is notable.     Some observed Hyde's comments before the Vieira DFA as signaling to the front office...was this too?

It was high leverage in the 7th and 8th at 1-0 and 2-0 before Gunnar's 9th inning Weaver broke the score open.

19 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I can’t for the life of me figure out why this organization keeps giving Baker chances. He is awful and 5 minor league innings doesn’t change that. He is the Ryan McKenna of pitchers. 

He's an arm they can use for a bit and then DFA if they need to. I would imagine he's temporary barring him suddenly looking like the 2022 version of himself. 

Saying that, in his last outing he was up to 98 mph and was getting lots of WHIFF on the fastball. His average of 12 inch vertical break would make him about 15% better than the average major league fastball around his normal 95.7 MPH average. He has thrown some aaround 10 inches which would be an elite plus-plus pitch. 

image.thumb.png.f2eeaa47c52b35aa26d1f4a50764c411.png

It's about command for him. He's similar to Baumann in that he can flash you plus stuff, but can he be trusted to bring that to mound more times than not?

He's earned his chance with the way he's been pitching of late and the quality of stuff on the fastball.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He's an arm they can use for a bit and then DFA if they need to. I would imagine he's temporary barring him suddenly looking like the 2022 version of himself. 

Saying that, in his last outing he was up to 98 mph and was getting lots of WHIFF on the fastball. His average of 12 inch vertical break would make him about 15% better than the average major league fastball around his normal 95.7 MPH average. He has thrown some aaround 10 inches which would be an elite plus-plus pitch. 

image.thumb.png.f2eeaa47c52b35aa26d1f4a50764c411.png

It's about command for him. He's similar to Baumann in that he can flash you plus stuff, but can he be trusted to bring that to mound more times than not?

He's earned his chance with the way he's been pitching of late and the quality of stuff on the fastball.

Agreed. Baker has plus stuff, and it was exceptional in 2022. He definitely lost something last year and early this year, perhaps he’s found it again. He is similar to Baumann, but unlike Baumann he has had some past stretches at the MLB level when he consistently performed at a high level. 

The big difference, of course, is Baker still has his last option this year. So I expect him to be an up/down guy for the rest of this year, but unless he really performs well he’s going to be an offseason DFA or find himself in the same place that Baumann was to start this year, where he might hang onto the last spot in the pen until roster crunch requires a DFA. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Agreed. Baker has plus stuff, and it was exceptional in 2022. He definitely lost something last year and early this year, perhaps he’s found it again. He is similar to Baumann, but unlike Baumann he has had some past stretches at the MLB level when he consistently performed at a high level. 

The big difference, of course, is Baker still has his last option this year. So I expect him to be an up/down guy for the rest of this year, but unless he really performs well he’s going to be an offseason DFA or find himself in the same place that Baumann was to start this year, where he might hang onto the last spot in the pen until roster crunch requires a DFA. 

Thanks, thought Baker was out of options, but you're right, he has one left. For some reason I thought he has been DFA'd and made it through waivers. Makes even more sense that they can use him as n up and down guy now that he's refound his stuff. 

I agree though about him having dominant stretches at times, especially in 2022. If the fastball numbers are right and he's getting a lot of swing and misses, he could certainly be a decent piece again.

Baker had a heck of a April last year.  He's got an option so he can be an up/down guy this year.  Baker always strikes me as a pitcher that tries to get too cute, and ends up walking guys to either give up a 3 run HR, or needs another reliever to come in and get out of his created jam.  Hopefully, he's more aggressive.  

I don't care about the total Triple A ERA.  He's been putting up better results recently.  Plus, AAA is for working on stuff for these vet players.  Means, and Suarez, both had high AAA ERAs.  

Krook is probably next man up since he's on the 40 man and has an option.  Mcdermott might get a look, but I have a feeling that random former Astro Martin could be an up/down arm as well in this stretch with no off days.  

On 6/11/2024 at 4:59 PM, LGOrioles said:

Baumann is also inconsistent and just a generally bad pitcher (or at least has been so far). His stuff is good which is why everyone wants to believe in him, but it still only grades out as marginally better than Akin’s according to stuff+, and Baumann also doesn’t throw strikes. His career stats in relief are: 20.5 K%, 11.3 BB%, 4.20 ERA, 4.52 FIP, 4.90 xFIP. Akin’s are: 23.4 K%, 6.4 BB%, 4.13 ERA, 3.46 FIP, 3.67 xFIP. The ERA is close, nothing else is. 

Now, I would rather have Baumann then Baker, but if people are really still up in arms about Baumann, they should be ecstatic about Baker being called up. His stuff+ last year was better and his career ERA and advanced stats are much better, with it not even being close. 

Agreed. Baumann was never part of this club going forward. At least we got what could be our backup catcher for next season for him.