Friday 6/14 vs Philadelphia

Morgan423

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Don't agree at all about the hitting. Our hitting is better. But our hitters had to face elite bullpen guys with electric stuff. And they got to face Perez and Webb. Perez and Webb may not even make the Phillies pen.

Perez is a lefty that throws high 90s.  Not a ton of guys with that profile. 

Edited by baltfan

3 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Down Felix and traded away Hall.  You can't just get Kimbrel and go with that.  Were lucky they are doing as well as they have given they are outperforming their peripherals.  

None of the bolded is true! Have you looked at out run differential. It is in the elite category. Our offense is top 3 and starting rotation is up there. It's simply a case of not enough talent at the back end of the bullpen.

The good news is that Elias has time and he has seen first hand what needs to be fixed. Right now we are outgunned in a bullpen battle against the Phillies or Yankees. We just don't have the arm talent currently.

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He doesn’t go back on balls as well as he comes in. Cowser is much better. Hays has slowed. 

Right on:

2017 28.9 55th in MLB
2019 28.6 92nd in MLB
2020 27.8 120th in MLB
2021 27.3 270th in MLB
2022 27.8 224th in MLB
2023 27.4 275th in MLB
2024 26.9 276th in MLB
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Let’s take one game and over analyze it. Nobody is saying the Orioles shouldn’t improve their pen. 

No "overanalyzing" here. You can literally see they have 4- 5 guys throwing 99-100. We have ZERO. You couldn't see the difference in stuff with the guys they brought in from their pen vs. who came in out of ours? It was best vs. best relievers and their best is better right now.

4 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

Yikes, that was bad. The Os wanted to get out of there. Phillies are the better overall team most likely but we’re top 4 for sure. 

I thought it was a mixed bag for sure. Painful to lose Bradish. Joyous to see Akin do what he did. Excellent plays by Gunnar. Mullins with hits and that great slide. Cano working out of a jam. Santander bomb. Mateo bunting ugh. Hays ??? with that catch. Webb giving up such a hit as that. Mateo and McCann teaming up to get the runner coming home from third. Walks at horrible moments. Rutschman’s pitch selection. Cowser watching the ball fly by him with an admittedly frustrating strike zone all night.

They’ve got a really complete team. Ours is more an odd mix of youth and age(ing) and injury-prone and guts. Hope we can keep things close til the deadline arrives but we’re really not constructed like the other top four are, not yet.

So to play such a tight game was pretty awesome imo

2 minutes ago, justD said:

I thought it was a mixed bag for sure. Painful to lose Bradish. Joyous to see Akin do what he did. Excellent plays by Gunnar. Mullins with hits and that great slide. Cano working out of a jam. Santander bomb. Mateo bunting ugh. Hays ??? with that catch. Webb giving up such a hit as that. Mateo and McCann teaming up to get the runner coming home from third. Walks at horrible moments. Rutschman’s pitch selection. Cowser watching the ball fly by him with an admittedly frustrating strike zone all night.

They’ve got a really complete team. Ours is more an odd mix of youth and age(ing) and injury-prone and guts. Hope we can keep things close til the deadline arrives but we’re really not constructed like the other top four are, not yet.

So to play such a tight game was pretty awesome imo

Other than bullpen, where are they better? Other than an elite reliever or 2 how are we not constructed to be a top team? Tell me 4 teams that are more talented than the Orioles?

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

None of the bolded is true! Have you looked at out run differential. It is in the elite category. Our offense is top 3 and starting rotation is up there. It's simply a case of not enough talent at the back end of the bullpen.

The good news is that Elias has time and he has seen first hand what needs to be fixed. Right now we are outgunned in a bullpen battle against the Phillies or Yankees. We just don't have the arm talent currently.

When did I ever mention the offense or the starting pitching? And yes a number of them are well out pitching their peripherals, by quite a bit.  It even seems like you agree.

1 minute ago, O's84 said:

When did I ever mention the offense or the starting pitching? And yes a number of them are well out pitching their peripherals, by quite a bit.  It even seems like you agree.

Other than Irvin can you cite examples of “a number of players” who are outperforming peripherals?

If by “agree” you mean that I feel that with Bradish’s injury we need 1 very good starter and 2 good to very good bullpen arms in order to put ourselves in the best position to win a World Series, then yes I agree. Otherwise, no I don’t. 

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Other than Irvin can you cite examples of “a number of players” who are outperforming peripherals?

If by “agree” you mean that I feel that with Bradish’s injury we need 1 very good starter and 2 good to very good bullpen arms in order to put ourselves in the best position to win a World Series, then yes I agree. Otherwise, no I don’t. 

Webb, Cano, and Tate for example.

As for the starting pitching yes, after Bradish goes down (if it's for the season of course) we agree,  because after Burnes and Grayson there's a big drop off.    As for the pen I would say we need 2 very good arms to add to the pen via the deadline.  Maybe you get McDermott in the pen for the late season push as well if he's going good and I think that's one of the things Elias is hoping for.

In anycase, whole argument aside were pretty much aligned in our thinking of what the club needs.

30 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

So you watched the game and your take away was our back end relievers are just as good or better than theirs?

I think any one game is not to be analyzed as if it’s some absolute truth. Akin who is usually a whipping boy around here was very good. The Phils pen has more strikeout pitchers. I watched Alvarado last Sunday implode vs the Mets. Are Hoffman and Strahm going to have ERA’s under 1 all year?