Trade Partner: Seattle

36 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Reasons why this won’t happen:

pitching >>> hitting

pitching>>>>more risk than hitting

We might need to beat them in a short series to go to the WS this year.

Seattle is top 10 in pitching but bottom 10 in hitting.  They probably don't want to trade any of their starters except maybe the expensive Luis Castillo.  But they may be willing to trade one of their younger starters to get back some badly needed offense.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why aren't they?

Even if there is a slight dip in overall offense theoretically the gain in pitching would offset it.

I think even I underestimate the value of Tony in the middle of the lineup. We'd like to believe we can just sub in Kjerstad or Mayo, but I think we need to see this out. Then again, if Seattle would agree to like Santander, Norby, McDermott, + for Kirby/Gilbert? That'd be really interesting and I think you have to pull the trigger there. Basically we avoid giving up one of our big 3 prospects but instead give up the present value of Tony for half season. You roll the dice that between Mayo and Kjerstad you get some of the bat back. I just really don't think the Orioles will trade Santander. I don't think the Mariners believe they are a bat away from contender for a W.S. either, so they still wouldn't do that. If anything again, they probably wait until the offseason to trade one of their young arms.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why aren't they?

Even if there is a slight dip in overall offense theoretically the gain in pitching would offset it.

It could be worth the risk , but I would have to see a little more from Cowser to feel comfortable with that.  What would the Orioles get back though?  Who would you target that would be worth it?  Probably would have to be Santander plus to get something that you could be pretty sure was going to make the team better. 

13 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Seattle is top 10 in pitching but bottom 10 in hitting.  They probably don't want to trade any of their starters except maybe the expensive Luis Castillo.  But they may be willing to trade one of their younger starters to get back some badly needed offense.  

They have guys that can help the Orioles, but their ERA is #2 at home and #20 on the road.  As much as we need pitching, our ERA is #2 in all of baseball.  It’s kinda crazy that the Orioles have been as good as they have been. 

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Hopefully, if they trade Kjerstad for a young pitcher it's one who can strike people out. We need K arms.

Kjerstadt for Andrew Abbot makes lot of sense for both teams.  

24 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

The contextual discounts don’t make for an easy match. How much less than the fair market off season  value is Seattle going to take for one if their young starters in exchange for a solid hitter off our current roster? And vice versa?

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

Kjerstadt for Andrew Abbot makes lot of sense for both teams.  

That's probably the type of pitcher that Kjerstad gets you, but 6.8 K/9 is gross. He gives up dingers too.

12 minutes ago, baltfan said:

They have guys that can help the Orioles, but their ERA is #2 at home and #20 on the road.  As much as we need pitching, our ERA is #2 in all of baseball.  It’s kinda crazy that the Orioles have been as good as they have been. 

It's true our ERA is among the best in baseball, but that was with Bradish, Means and Coulombe all contributing.  Those guys are gone for the year now (though Coulombe may be back in September), and we probably need one or two arms to replace them.  

It could be Kirby or one of the other Seattle starters is not the best matchup.  But of the guys who could be available he's certainly pretty good.  Then again maybe rental or an older veteran under contract for another a year or two is better -- cheaper prospect wise at least.  Personally I'd prefer someone like Sonny Gray, though I doubt he's available.  

11 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

The contextual discounts don’t make for an easy match. How much less than the fair market off season  value is Seattle going to take for one if their young starters in exchange for a solid hitter off our current roster? And vice versa?

Like baltfan pointed out, Seattle's starters have not performed nearly as well on the road.  That could be a strong negotiating point for a starter (Gilbert in this case) who, even with some struggles on the road, is still a strong pitcher and and most any team would want in their rotation. 

I think Norby and one one of Stowers/Kjerstad/Cowser for one of their young starters is a strong offer for a team that badly needs offense.  Some here might think it's too much and that we should focus on rentals/older pitchers who won't cost as much in prospects.  They may be right.

I agree we shouldn’t hesitate to trade with Seattle if we can make ourselves better, but I really don’t see a match.  

When is the last time a division leader traded away a key member of their rotation?  I think there is a better chance Seattle trades for a back of the rotation arm given the likelihood one of their starters gets hurt and the fact that Emerson Hancock isn’t very good.  

I think it will take a lot more than Cowser or Kjerstad to land one of their starters. The Mariners have 7 top 100 prospects and I’d imagine this is the strength that Dipoto is looking to trade from.

5 hours ago, Say O! said:

Didn’t SEA and AZ do exactly that last year?

That's not really a great example. It was in the offseason and the Mariners were just getting rid of a contract. I don't think a Eugenio Suarez level player improves our team. 

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That's not really a great example. It was in the offseason and the Mariners were just getting rid of a contract. I don't think a Eugenio Suarez level player improves our team. 

That one was a knock on after the Paul Sewald trade last deadline.   

Sewald and Jordan Montgomery were the two cases last trade deadline day after I was a little disappointed Elias didn't compete harder for.     Hard to disentangle the Montgomery memories after how October 2023 played out (though we beat him up).

I do think Elias paid a good deal less for Flaherty than Young paid for Montgomery, though you get what you pay for kind of one of those evergreen things.

4 hours ago, cnmilton said:

What would it cost for Emerson Hancock?  Would a trade of Kjerstad for Hancock work?

It should.  But Statcast is not in love with him and he looks a little like a project.