Hmm… so about that qualifying offer to Santander?

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Who is the DH if we face a LH starter in the playoffs?

Ask me after the trade deadline. It's not O'Hearn. Why do you think the O's have been linked to looking for a RHH OF?

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Ask me after the trade deadline. It's not O'Hearn. Why do you think the O's have been linked to looking for a RHH OF?

Based on our current roster, you can’t give a decent answer on who would DH in a game where Adley catches vs LHP?

But it’s a “head scratcher” why McCann was brought into it.

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Offering the QO doesn't mean he is limited. He can still be offered and say yes to a long term deal. The QO ensure if he says no you end up with a draft pick in the worst case scenario. 

Ok understood. I thought the poster was saying offer the QO and let him walk.

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Based on our current roster, you can’t give a decent answer on who would DH in a game where Adley catches vs LHP?

You have to have 2 catchers. Lucky for us, our best catcher is one of the best hitters in the game so he's going to DH...a lot. He has a .685 OPS as a catcher and a 1.111 OPS as a DH. You don't take Adley out of the game when he's not catching, McCann has to play that position for him. Anyway, you know full and well if O'Hearn were the full-time RF he'd be at negative WAR right now, so I'll leave you to your convictions that he's a lefty masher and being grossly mishandled. Thanks for the spirited and civil conversation.

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

McCann doesn’t DH, what is your point?

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

IMO keeping the team young is the way to keep it winning.

We have a disagreement on philosophy (not surprising).

IMO championship teams need a blend of vets and youth. Burnes isn't "young" he's 29 and will be 30 in October. But he is by far and away our best pitcher. Would you rather Povich or McDermott or Johnson take his starts? Or better yet would you rather have kept the "younger" DL Hall and given him the starts instead of Burnes?

I am not saying that the Orioles (and any healthy org) for that matter does not need an ongoing infusion of young talent. That is what we have Elias/Sig and our scouts and development staff for, to find those kind of guys.

But I also don't think it is a way to sustain excellence to hug all prospects and be dogmatic about a philosophy that says we are going to cut ourselves off from one of the only ways of talent acquisition (free agency). There are only so many ways available to improve the team. And I don't see the wisdom in not pursuing all those avenues. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

You have to have 2 catchers. Lucky for us, our best catcher is one of the best hitters in the game so he's going to DH...a lot. He has a .685 OPS as a catcher and a 1.111 OPS as a DH. You don't take Adley out of the game when he's not catching, McCann has to play that position for him. Anyway, you know full and well if O'Hearn were the full-time RF he'd be at negative WAR right now, so I'll leave you to your convictions that he's a lefty masher and being grossly mishandled. Thanks for the spirited and civil conversation.

When did I say he’s a lefty masher?

2 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

No thanks, I'm not really interested in reliving the Mark Trumbo era. Offer the QO and nothing more.

If he accepts it, cool.

If he doesn't, cool.

How is signing Anthony Santander reliving the Mark Trumbo era? There's a different regime in place with a different owner, general manager, scouts, analytics department, and on field manager. Literally nothing about the Orioles is anything when Mark Trumbo was here except for the stadium (which about to be changed/upgraded) and the uniforms (which the City Connects are even different).

Some of you (rightfully so) are so scarred by the horrible past that you refuse to believe in how amazing the opportunity that we have that is in front of us.

This is not the same old O's of yesteryear! We could be in the beginning of a dynasty. That was never a possibility or even an attainable goal under the previous "Trumbo era" regime.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

How is signing Anthony Santander reliving the Mark Trumbo era? There's a different regime in place with a different owner, general manager, scouts, analytics department, and on field manager. Literally nothing about the Orioles is anything when Mark Trumbo was here except for the stadium (which about to be changed/upgraded) and the uniforms (which the City Connects are even different).

Some of you (rightfully so) are so scarred by the horrible past that you refuse to believe in how amazing the opportunity that we have that is in front of us.

This is not the same old O's of yesteryear! We could be in the beginning of a dynasty. That was never a possibility or even an attainable goal under the previous "Trumbo era" regime.

Preach, my brother, Preach!

11 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Will you trust the decisions of the people who have put us in the position of the beginning of a dynasty?   

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Will you trust the decisions of the people who have put us in the position of the beginning of a dynasty?   

Blind faith? If that is what you are asking - Absolutely not! I reserve that for the divine not for human beings who can make mistakes.

However, I certainly trust the track record of Elias/Sig/scouts/development coaches to continue doing what they've been doing in terms of mining talent from the draft.

What the decision makers have still yet to show/prove is in making the moves necessary to take us from rebuild/amazing foundation/overabundance of position player prospects to championship contenders. It's a different mentality and approach required IMO.

I am waiting to see what happens and have hope like everybody else that Elias navigates the trade market in a way that helps us win a World Series.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Malike said:

He's definitely getting a QO. He's likely getting a multi-year contract more than the O's are willing to pay. 

Why would the O's not pay? They are not paying anyone at the moment with the 25th ranked payroll in the sport.

Unless you think Rubenstien will employ the same apathetic, miserly approach as Angelos? 

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

The harm in offering the QO is that if he accepts, suddenly 20% of the payroll is sunk into one player who, as you pointed out, is approaching his expected declining years.  Payroll should increase in 2025 so that percentage will come down, but if you want to gamble, you not only risk having to forfeit whatever money is involved, but also a significant amount of flexibility when it comes to the rest of your overall strategy. 

The only way to be smart about qualifying offers IMO is to offer one if you think the player will be worth the price and you've calculated that it would cost more per year in FA to retain him.  Sure, there's the supplemental draft pick, but supplemental draft picks are consolation prizes, not the point.  I don't see Elias gambling with his eye on the consolation prize, especially given the very low chance of success with draft picks.

We have around 60 million dollars to add to the payroll for it even to be average at 15th. 100 million to add for it to be top ten (#10).

Only one team has won a World Series in the last decade with a lower payroll (HOU in 17' beginning of their dynasty). We are not going to sustain championship level success with a miserly owner who refuses to spend. And if you won't spend now, you never will because the opportunities are most likely not going to be as good in the future. MLB changes the draft/tanking rules to prevent what Elias and the O's have done in the future in terms of stock piling elite young talent through the draft.