This team isn’t winning anything unless it trades Holliday, Bassallo or Mayo

DirtyBird

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Oh, cool. That definitely solves things.

Looking forward to the Grayson, Fedde, Irvin trifecta next season.

15th in the MLB in SP ERA and WAR. 20th in xERA. Yeah, that won’t help anything though.

Edited by LGOrioles

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  It’s your speculation.  Bundy’s decline could have had more to do with the diminished stuff from the TJ surgery and the calcium deposits in his shoulder.   Maybe. Just saying.   We know that stuff happened.  

Well that is my point.  Bundy never really played any other sports other than baseball.  Everything he did revolved around baseball.   Remember the stories about his dad would make him throw heavy balls super long distances to improve his velocity? 

Pepperidge Farms remembers. 

Tiger has had the same issues and so is Bryson D when it comes to golf.  A body can only take so much of one particular sport.    That is why it is imo better to play all kinds of different sports as a kid.  

Bundy's arm and his mental psyche, by the time he it age 20, was already in decline.  He was worn out.  By the time he got up to the majors he was still good, but on the decline.  And he just kept declining. 

I see and read the exact same stories about Jackson.  How he was 'trained' to be a baseball player.  The thing is he isn't really a great athlete.  He plays baseball well because that is what he was trained to do since he was a baby.  Not because of some elite athleticism.  He is what...5'11" and 180?  I am much bigger than that.   He is by no means a physical specimen like a 6'3" 220 pound Gunnar or even his 6'4" inch 200 pound brother.

You can believe it or not, and I know everyone wants to believe that JH is going to be a superstar, but seeing his physical attributes (which are average at best) and how he was so overmatched this spring?   All I see is a steady player.   A decent player.  Not a superstar.

Plus as I said he is already getting hurt.  And it's an 'elbow'.  That is a sign of wear and tear.  On a 20 year old lol.  And not even a pitcher.

Which is why you trade him now.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Oh, cool. That definitely solves things.

Looking forward to the Grayson, Fedde, Irvin trifecta next season.

We don't need to replace Corbin Burnes until the offseason.   

I'm not opposed to trading one of the big three if a controllable front-line starter is available for trade.  Crochet would fit the bill if his availability for the rest of this season wasn't suspect.  Skubal would fit the bill if he becomes available, as would Sonny Gray or Mitch Keller.  I would prefer to trade Basallo, just because we already have an all-star catcher.

But it is simply not true that we're doomed unless we trade one of the big three.  Fedde has been one of the best starting pitchers in baseball this year and he is not doing it with smoke and mirrors (e.g. low BABIP).   He's controllable through next year but I still don't think he costs you one of the big three.  There may be some pure rentals going on the market too.  

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

The DirtyBird reactive thread cause we just got swept is a doozy.

200w.gif

We got swept. That’s twice in one season. Never mind the Yankees are losing too. We must trade one of the 3 of the top 5 prospects in MLB or we are doomed. 

Geez. What should the Yankees do then?

26 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Well that is my point.  Bundy never really played any other sports other than baseball.  Everything he did revolved around baseball.   Remember the stories about his dad would make him throw heavy balls super long distances to improve his velocity? 

Pepperidge Farms remembers. 

Tiger has had the same issues and so is Bryson D when it comes to golf.  A body can only take so much of one particular sport.    That is why it is imo better to play all kinds of different sports as a kid.  

Bundy's arm and his mental psyche, by the time he it age 20, was already in decline.  He was worn out.  By the time he got up to the majors he was still good, but on the decline.  And he just kept declining. 

I see and read the exact same stories about Jackson.  How he was 'trained' to be a baseball player.  The thing is he isn't really a great athlete.  He plays baseball well because that is what he was trained to do since he was a baby.  Not because of some elite athleticism.  He is what...5'11" and 180?  I am much bigger than that.   He is by no means a physical specimen like a 6'3" 220 pound Gunnar or even his 6'4" inch 200 pound brother.

You can believe it or not, and I know everyone wants to believe that JH is going to be a superstar, but seeing his physical attributes (which are average at best) and how he was so overmatched this spring?   All I see is a steady player.   A decent player.  Not a superstar.

Plus as I said he is already getting hurt.  And it's an 'elbow'.  That is a sign of wear and tear.  On a 20 year old lol.  And not even a pitcher.

Which is why you trade him now.

I question your theory on the mental burnout.  That’s just total speculation.   I agree that Holliday isn’t big or necessarily a great athlete.  You don’t have to be a great athlete to be a great baseball player.  I can think of HOF players who weren’t great athletes.   Wear and tear?   You mean like Basallo’s stress fracture on his elbow.

I have my own reservations about Holliday but his career is probably going to be defined by his bat and people smarter than me believe in it.   As for his throwing, he made some lob throws to first that were odd but he never failed to throw out a runner that I can remember and he put something on the ball when he had to.  He’s got plus speed and the fielding metrics liked him at 2B even if he wasn’t as graceful as you’d like.  

All this stuff about him peaking already I think is wrong.  Yeah, he’s not going to get any taller but he’s going to fill out a little more and get stronger.  I have no doubt he’s at least an average 2B defensively.  Probably better.   Hopefully, the elbow thing is minor.

No one is untradeable but I think Elias will do the same thing I would.  Put the guys after the top 3-4 out there as chips and see what you can get.   Corbin Burnes, Name anyone, and GRod, guarantee you nothing when you get in a short series.

P.S.  Regarding playing one sport not being good for you.  Maybe you’re right but Carter Baumler played football and baseball in HS and no one in our system has missed as much time as him.

Edited by RZNJ

57 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Hey shitbag? Did I say to trade all three prospects like you implied in your post?

Fans like this shouldn’t be allowed pleasure from our 100 win seasons. But in reality, they really hate us. Why do they only come out when we lose?

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Fans like this shouldn’t be allowed pleasure from our 100 win seasons. But in reality, they really hate us. Why do they only come out when we lose?

Oh, he’s ok.  Just a little emotionally unstable today.  His mom is going to have to wash his mouth out with soap today.  Or maybe his keyboard.

Hey @DirtyBird how old are you anyway?

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I question your theory on the mental burnout.  That’s just total speculation.   I agree that Holliday isn’t big or necessarily a great athlete.  You don’t have to be a great athlete to be a great baseball player.  I can think of HOF players who weren’t great athletes.   Wear and tear?   You mean like Basallo’s stress fracture on his elbow.

I have my own reservations about Holliday but his career is probably going to be defined by his bat and people smarter than me believe in it.   As for his throwing, he made some lob throws to first that were odd but he never failed to throw out a runner that I can remember and he put something on the ball when he had to.  He’s got plus speed and the fielding metrics liked him at 2B even if he wasn’t as graceful as you’d like.  

All this stuff about him peaking already I think is wrong.  Yeah, he’s not going to get any taller but he’s going to fill out a little more and get stronger.  I have no doubt he’s at least an average 2B defensively.  Probably better.   Hopefully, the elbow thing is minor.

No one is untradeable but I think Elias will do the same thing I would.  Put the guys after the top 3-4 out there as chips and see what you can get.   Corbin Burnes, Name anyone, and GRod, guarantee you nothing when you get in a short series.

I respect your opinion and you have some good points.  Guess we can just agree to disagree.

So....let Elias make the decisions.  And imo he has some decisions to make and very soon.  Probably the most 'under pressure' he will be under since he came onboard.  The decisions he makes between now and early next year will imo play a giant part in whether the Os contend and win a or many WS, or just play pretenders. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gotta challenge @Sports Guyfor post of the year. 

Trust me.  That’s not in contention for post of the year.

SportsGuy?  Post of the year?  Did he post that he’s permanently leaving the Hangout for Twitter?

Edited by RZNJ

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Most likely.  

Well I mean.....I know that soccer (football) is by far the biggest international sport that is played by almost every non US kid.   Especially in C anmd S America.  And it isn't even close. 

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

Well I mean.....I know that soccer (football) is by far the biggest international sport that is played by almost every non US kid.   Especially in C anmd S America.  And it isn't even close. 

The DR kids are into baseball full time at early ages and into those academies.  I’m guessing most of the “prospects” down there aren’t playing other sports competitively by the age of 12-13.

• Upvote 1