A couple of interesting picks: 

1) Tanner Witt whom the Orioles selected in round 18/2023 was selected by the NY Mets in round 14/2024.  First, it was Nolan McLean and now Tanner Witt.

2) Lucas Ramirez selected in round 17/2024 is the son of Manny Ramirez.

• Upvote 1

So in the end, we took 11 position players, 10 pitchers.  Three of the position players were high schoolers, while the pitchers included 9 at 4-year schools and one community college guy.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So in the end, we took 11 position players, 10 pitchers.  Three of the position players were high schoolers, while the pitchers included 9 at 4-year schools and one community college guy.  

4 position players were high schoolers: Layton (SS), Tess (C), George (OF), and Whitaker (OF).

22 hours ago, baltfan said:

Seems like we have had more clearly overslot guys in the past.  Is there anyone overslot really worth dreaming on here?

I personally love the Nate George pick. 80 speed, power with a good arm and supposedly an extremely hard worker. Really hoping he gets signed. 

Edited by Mooreisbetter27
  • Upvote 1

Just some observations and reflections on this year's draft and the strategy in general...

In one thread I defended the emphasis on position players in high rounds, disparaging pitchers as "cannon fodder." Seeing all the pitchers taken in the lower rounds amplifies this take. To expand the analogy to a military "draft," to me this year's draft class especially looks like staffing the officers corps from the best recruits, the higher rounds. Then fill out the ranks of cannon fodder (perishable pitchers) in quantity from the lower rounds. 

A post by Frobby in a thread on closers amplifies this point. How many top closers are effective for more than a few years? Same with top starting pitchers. Contrast the longer careers at the top of their game for position players. At the other end of the scale, look how many bullpens are revolving doors of low draft picks, waiver claims, reclamation projects. Sorry for not substantiating all this with researched stats: it's an impression, over many years. 

Zoom in to what it's like to throw an unproven reliever out there. He might be lights out, for a few innings, a few outings or a season or two. Great! Rinse and repeat. Hello, Albert Suarez. Goodbye, Fuji. A hitter (and fielder) needs many more repetitions to get a good read on their ability (see: Jim Traber, Jackson Holliday). 

So to me this year's draft is an optimum strategy overall (even tho they claim every pick is BPA). Take your few surer things first, the position guys to rely on. Then have lots of "maybe" arms in reserve, because you'll need them, to burn quantity and see what wants to stick when the time comes.

Edited by now
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, now said:

Just some observations and reflections on this year's draft and the strategy in general...

In one thread I defended the emphasis on position players in high rounds, disparaging pitchers as "cannon fodder." Seeing all the pitchers taken in the lower rounds amplifies this take. To expand the analogy to a military "draft," to me this year's draft class especially looks like staffing the officers corps from the best recruits, the higher rounds. Then fill out the ranks of cannon fodder (perishable pitchers) in quantity from the lower rounds. 

A post by Frobby in a thread on closers amplifies this point. How many top closers are effective for more than a few years? Same with top starting pitchers. Contrast the longer careers at the top of their game for position players. At the other end of the scale, look how many bullpens are revolving doors of low draft picks, waiver claims, reclamation projects. Sorry for not substantiating all this with researched stats: it's an impression, over many years. 

Zoom in to what it's like to throw an unproven reliever out there. He might be lights out, for a few innings, a few outings or a season or two. Great! Rinse and repeat. Hello, Albert Suarez. Goodbye, Fuji. A hitter (and fielder) needs many more repetitions to get a good read on their ability (see: Jim Traber, Jackson Holliday). 

So to me this year's draft is an optimum strategy overall (even tho they claim every pick is BPA). Take your few surer things first, the position guys to rely on. Then have lots of "maybe" arms in reserve, because you'll need them, to burn quantity and see what wants to stick when the time comes.

I think this post is largely reflective of the O's approach. Notably, that approach uses the draft for the overall long term value of the organization, and not as a way to necessarily maximize the current winning window.

I get the approach, and get the impression about relievers. But starting pitchers. Are they also a bunch of cannon fodder or do the top guys have disproportionate success compared to lower level guys? My guess is that the spread of success between position players drafted highly versus low guys is actually larger than for pitchers, but again, that's just my impression.

• Upvote 1

The Braves signed their seventh and eighth round picks for a total of $20,000.

Slot bonuses for the 2 round are a combined value of $450,000.

Punting the picks to sign some overslot guys I assume.

So many ways you can accomplish signing over slot guys and it doesn’t take a huge draft pool to do it.

55 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What are your guys thoughts on what we drafted?  Apologies if I missed some of your thoughts, haven't had the time to read the whole thread.

Yeah, also interested to hear some thoughts on the draft from people!