5 losses in a row. Baltimore...we have a problem. Thread revisit...O's have no way to win the WS unless...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think they're easy for him;  I predict he's not going to give up any of our big 3 at this deadline.  We'll get a middling starter like Fedde (yeah @sportsfan8703, I called him middling) and/or a bullpen arm that's solid but not elite.

Kjerstad, Norby, Stowers are all guys that probably won't be here after the deadline.  Holliday, Mayo, Basallo all stay.

Elias has been clear on a few things; payroll flexibility is paramount and so is having elite talent in the pipeline at all times.  AT ALL TIMES.  

That's called discipline and that's why he's in that seat and none of us keyboard jockey GMs are...because half of us would have a payroll of over 200 million, the other half of us would be wheeling and dealing because of some ill conceived notion that THIS IS OUR YEAR AND OMG WE HAVE TO WIN A WORLD SERIES THIS YEAR OR ELSE.

I'm pretty sure baseball doesn't work that way.  

"But Moose, the Rangers!  They shoved all their chips to the middle last year and look what happened!"

The Rangers got lucky last year.  They got hot at the right time and I bet if you played that same playoffs again last year 10 more times, they win it maybe once.  They did it with a banged up Scherzer and without deGrom.  What the Rangers did last year isn't a model...and if anyone is paying attention, they're not that great this year.  

So yeah, the way Elias sees it, I bet, is easy.  Payroll flexibility and elite talent in the pipeline.  Our future is way brighter with Mayo, Basallo and Holliday in the mix than without.  

That's called discipline.  No one here has it because you guys watch ESPN and listen to sports talk radio and are so caught up in "windows" and "we need Fedde to make a run!" or how Tarik Skubal is the second coming of Sandy Koufax and the only way we can win a World Series in the next two years is with him.  

I refuse to watch ESPN other than for a live sporting event due to their pushing of political and social issues that I disagree with.

I do not listen to sports talk radio shows. Although I used to up to around 10 years ago.  

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think they're easy for him;  I predict he's not going to give up any of our big 3 at this deadline.  We'll get a middling starter like Fedde (yeah @sportsfan8703, I called him middling) and/or a bullpen arm that's solid but not elite.

Kjerstad, Norby, Stowers are all guys that probably won't be here after the deadline.  Holliday, Mayo, Basallo all stay.

Elias has been clear on a few things; payroll flexibility is paramount and so is having elite talent in the pipeline at all times.  AT ALL TIMES.  

That's called discipline and that's why he's in that seat and none of us keyboard jockey GMs are...because half of us would have a payroll of over 200 million, the other half of us would be wheeling and dealing because of some ill conceived notion that THIS IS OUR YEAR AND OMG WE HAVE TO WIN A WORLD SERIES THIS YEAR OR ELSE.

I'm pretty sure baseball doesn't work that way.  

"But Moose, the Rangers!  They shoved all their chips to the middle last year and look what happened!"

The Rangers got lucky last year.  They got hot at the right time and I bet if you played that same playoffs again last year 10 more times, they win it maybe once.  They did it with a banged up Scherzer and without deGrom.  What the Rangers did last year isn't a model...and if anyone is paying attention, they're not that great this year.  

So yeah, the way Elias sees it, I bet, is easy.  Payroll flexibility and elite talent in the pipeline.  Our future is way brighter with Mayo, Basallo and Holliday in the mix than without.  

That's called discipline.  No one here has it because you guys watch ESPN and listen to sports talk radio and are so caught up in "windows" and "we need Fedde to make a run!" or how Tarik Skubal is the second coming of Sandy Koufax and the only way we can win a World Series in the next two years is with him.  

Maybe we can get lucky (Hot at the right time to). I think Kjerstad will be around after the deadline as well.

35 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Maybe we can get lucky (Hot at the right time to). I think Kjerstad will be around after the deadline as well.

Yeah we shall see but if I was a betting man, and I am, I would bet Kjerstad will be around after the deadline.  They need him in case Santa leaves. 

47 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I refuse to watch ESPN other than for a live sporting event due to their pushing of political and social issues that I disagree with.

I do not listen to sports talk radio shows. Although I used to up to around 10 years ago.  

Ok. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

What do you mean by 1B?

Are you implying that Grayson’s season thus far is on par with Burnes’ season? 

Something else?

A #1 pitcher would roughly be defined by the average performance of the top, say 10 pitchers in the league, and a #2 would be the average of the next 10.  I am saying Grayson is somewhere between those tier averages.

32 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

A #1 pitcher would roughly be defined by the average performance of the top, say 10 pitchers in the league, and a #2 would be the average of the next 10.  I am saying Grayson is somewhere between those tier averages.

He’s 45th in ERA, 22nd in K’s, 56th in innings pitched.

6 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I'll keep bumping this thread as long as the Os management refuses to help this team.

They are just wasting games.  And trust me come the end of the season?  These games are going to matter.

I didn’t realize it only took one team to make a deal.

20 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I'll keep bumping this thread as long as the Os management refuses to help this team.

They are just wasting games.  And trust me come the end of the season?  These games are going to matter.

Only thing that matters is getting into the playoffs and getting hot then. Now if they play bad enough the rest of the season to completely miss the playoffs, then we really have a problem but I don't see that happening. 

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m going to assume he is talking about internal moves and promotions. It’s gotten sort of ridiculous guys like Mayo and Stowers haven’t been given more of a chance. Even Kjerstad before he got hurt was not playing anything close to regularly. This isn’t 2021 or 2022. It’s time to move on from Hays, Mullins, Urias and look at the future. The future is now, not in 2032.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yeah look at all the moves other teams are making.  It is really a game of chicken right now and no one is budging yet.  The only real trade so far was for Hunter Harvey and the Royals grossly overpaid in that trade.