5 losses in a row. Baltimore...we have a problem. Thread revisit...O's have no way to win the WS unless...

I think Grayson is a fine number 2 and would prefer them pick up a true number 3 and 4 versus just one top of the rotation guy like Skubal or Crochet. I feel better about Grayson being the number 2 than I do about having both of Suárez and Kremer in the rotation. 

20 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Just remove the panic button. Pitching is needed. Fleecing O’rganization depth is not. Selling the farm is a term you cannot have take backs.

ME will not sell the farm

Tell me what 75% of the players in AA or AAA will ever do for us?  Nothing.  Not with the talent we already have on the team.

You don't get awards for best farm system. 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Why don’t you wait to post this in one week.

Because.....why?   I can't offer an opinion until the trade deadline has passed and we know what happens?

I mean....that seems very...cult like.

BTW I don't care about a division title.  I want championships while the #1 picks we drafted are on the team.   Multiple Championships. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

2 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Burnes is one of best pitchers in league so yes Burnes is better but to say Grayson is not a number 2 is a joke.  

I didn’t say Grayson wasn’t a #2. My point was that wins is not the best metric to measure a pitcher as Grayson has more wins than Burnes.

1 minute ago, Camden_yardbird said:

The guy leading the AL in wins?  That guy?

Actually he's tied for 2nd after Chris Sale.  

Anyway, wins are not the greatest way to evaluate pitchers.  He has a 3.83 ERA this season.  That doesn't scream #2.

Now does he have the talent to be that, yes.  But he hasn't consistently pitched at that level long enough.

So we need another guy.  He doesn't have to be a #2 guy but a number #3 guy would do.  Because otherwise the dropoff between Grayson and our #3 starter is too large.  I mean we don't want Kremer/Suarez/Irvin or Povich starting game #3.

19 minutes ago, Malike said:

The stupidest part of all of this is that we could dump the whole farm and get Crochet, Skubal, Robert Jr. and would still likely not win the world series. These threads every year are incredibly worthless. The teams with the most talent do great in the regular season, the playoffs are whoever gets hot. It's not difficult for most people to wrap their heads around that concept but for some it clearly is.

I disagree.  I think getting those guys, with the players we already have combined with FA signings?

Insures us a solid 5 to 7 year window of competing for a championship. 

21 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

The hitting has been just as problematic as the pitching. It’s been that way for long enough it’s a problem and not just some blip. Awful RISP and if we don’t score early in the games or get behind, that’s all she wrote.

Agree we do need more contact/higher batting average hitters. 

Not sure if this is a coaching or system issue but it is an issue.  We go into too many slumps. 

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Agree.  I really like him.  But in no way do I trust him to be a solid playoff pitcher.  Maybe in a few years.

Bradish?  I did.

So you don’t trust the guy that has the highest percentage of giving up 3 runs or less in a start then I am not sure who you will trust.  

15 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

This is just wrong, I mean maybe not for this year, where the only meaningful addition would be through trades, but there are plenty of examples a pitchers who joined teams this past off season that are more than capable playoff pitchers. (Hicks, Flaherty, Lugo, Gray, Turnbull)

Could the Orioles have gone down this path this past pffseason and added more pitching?  Perhaps.  Did Angelos give them the budget to do so? Probably not.  Did they think they needed it, foreseeing three SPs going down with season ending injuries.  Probably not.

But going into next off season they know they need pitching.  They have an owner who is, presumably ready to spend.  So no, they don't need to sell the farm for pitching.  

Again....I am basing my OP and what I said today on the fact that Means, Bradish, and to a lesser extent Wells are not only gone....but gone for over a year.

It was a tornado of injuries and very unfortunate.  We all agree on that and it is just plain bad luck...but this is why the Os drafted all these position players.  To use as capital to get pitching. 

12 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Burnes is one of best pitchers in league so yes Burnes is better but to say Grayson is not a number 2 is a joke.  

Well as I said....Burnes probably won't be here next year.  Hence a large part of my original post.

Records over last 30 games Orioles 14-16 The Yankees are 10-20, the Guardians are 13-17,  the Mariners are 11-19    So who is the great team we can’t play with?  Everyone is just kinda treading water right now.  

Who is the team to beat in the AL?  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Actually he's tied for 2nd after Chris Sale.  

Anyway, wins are not the greatest way to evaluate pitchers.  He has a 3.83 ERA this season.  That doesn't scream #2.

Now does he have the talent to be that, yes.  But he hasn't consistently pitched at that level long enough.

So we need another guy.  He doesn't have to be a #2 guy but a number #3 guy would do.  Because otherwise the dropoff between Grayson and our #3 starter is too large.  I mean we don't want Kremer/Suarez/Irvin or Povich starting game #3.

Grayson has been.....ok.

Not elite. :)