Poll - Would you trade McDermott for Scherzer straight up?

Poll - Would you trade McDermott for Scherzer straight up?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Poll - Would you trade McDermott for Scherzer straight up?

8 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Eovaldi has higher WAR 1.7 to .50 than Schezer , he’s younger w/ vesting option for 2025 . Which I assume he would cost more than Scherzer .  Both are better suited as #3 starters ( postseason) than Kremer , Suárez & Irvin . Just my opinion 

Eovaldi has 80 IP, while Scherzer is at 10.1.  So, that's not a fair comp.  I'd be pleased to get either, though we will likely wait until Scherzer throws a couple more times before we feel more comfortable with him.

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Eovaldi has 80 IP, while Scherzer is at 10.1.  So, that's not a fair comp.  I'd be pleased to get either, though we will likely wait until Scherzer throws a couple more times before we feel more comfortable with him.

Yeah I agree, we need see bit more of Scherzer before making offer .  But I don’t like Elias waiting until the very last minute like he done last year’s deadline .  

I picture Scherzer as purely a salary dump for Texas. They are up against it in terms of Luxury tax. I also see Scherzer as a start to start pitcher in terms of durability. Not willing to give up more than a AAAA guy and a lottery ticket prospect. 

4 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I picture Scherzer as purely a salary dump for Texas. They are up against it in terms of Luxury tax. I also see Scherzer as a start to start pitcher in terms of durability. Not willing to give up more than a AAAA guy and a lottery ticket prospect. 

That gives them a CBT payroll of $243.9 million and a penalty of $2.1 million because it’s their second year in a row over the limit.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danepstein/2024/02/19/eight-mlb-teams-could-exceed-the-cbt-threshold/

I don't think they are going to give up a superior return over that small a sum.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danepstein/2024/02/19/eight-mlb-teams-could-exceed-the-cbt-threshold/

I don't think they are going to give up a superior return over that small a sum.

Add in Scherzer is due about 15 million for the rest of the season. It’s a big salary risk and doesn’t deserve much of a prospect.

I don’t know what deal y’all want, but Scherzer is out of McDermott range now. 

He commanded a top 50 prospect in all of baseball last year and that was with a big/complicated contract, and more teams were selling. 

Povich is probably what it would take now. 

On 7/3/2024 at 7:25 PM, Greg Pappas said:

Indeed it’s not , Scherzer made his third start just the other night .  So far he’s 1-2 , 2.70 era , 16 innings with 11 Ks . He and Eovaldi would be nice get . Just a question of cost 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t know what deal y’all want, but Scherzer is out of McDermott range now. 

He commanded a top 50 prospect in all of baseball last year and that was with a big/complicated contract, and more teams were selling. 

Povich is probably what it would take now. 

If any sellers ask about Povich, we tell them we don’t want talk about him 

On 7/3/2024 at 7:32 PM, Allan Bryant said:

Yeah I agree, we need see bit more of Scherzer before making offer .  But I don’t like Elias waiting until the very last minute like he done last year’s deadline .  

You mean like every GM in baseball does?