Orioles want Ackley?

I guess my point is you can't count on negative moves being made (dropping players) any more than you can count on positive moves being made (player acquisition).

Also, I think it's early to call Andy a bust.

I believe Neil Walker was the AAA player of the year for PIT, and he's returning to AAA to start this year because of the depth at 3B/1B/COF. I just think an advanced bat like Ackley's doesn't fit particularly well into PITs situation. I mean, Ackley could be a great acquisition for anyone, don't get me wrong. I think PIT would go a different direction, though, provided that wouldn't mean a drop-off in value.

I think they will go college arm all the way, I just thought it was odd that they would come out and say that.

I was more basing PIT (and keep in mind this was before spring training) being a good fit for him before because I felt like an NL team is more likely to play small ball and not necessarily need the big-bopper 1B, that and having Alvarez at 3B lessens that needs as well. I think after more analysis like we have both said, that Crow or another college arm would be a better fit for them right now.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More Ackley in action tonight vs. Richmond:

1-2 with a 2B, SF, BB, SB and 3 R and he played 1B again as usual.

Now hitting .414 on the season with 10 HR 29 RBI and is 9/10 in SBs as well.

Anyone see or hear if they have been moving him to the OF later in games like they did earlier this season? I know they are in win mode and don't want to move things around much, that and they don't have anyone else to go to 1B, but I'd love to be a fly in the bleachers when teams get to work him out in other positions.

Anyone see or hear if they have been moving him to the OF later in games like they did earlier this season? I know they are in win mode and don't want to move things around much, that and they don't have anyone else to go to 1B, but I'd love to be a fly in the bleachers when teams get to work him out in other positions.

He's moved twice to my knowledge. One time he moved and stayed, but the most recent time, they moved him back to 1B for defense when the game got close. I think he's started all the games at 1B. He has not made an error yet at 1B all season.

He's moved twice to my knowledge. One time he moved and stayed, but the most recent time, they moved him back to 1B for defense when the game got close. I think he's started all the games at 1B. He has not made an error yet at 1B all season.

Yeah it's not the defense I worry about at 1B, it's that his offensive ceiling isn't what it needs to be for 1B. Unless you can find a big bat for an atypical offensive position to balance it out.

Yeah it's not the defense I worry about at 1B, it's that his offensive ceiling isn't what it needs to be for 1B. Unless you can find a big bat for an atypical offensive position to balance it out.

Not sure that is a goal I would set.

Not sure that is a goal I would set.

Not a goal I would set at all, but if the talent difference was there and you felt like you had to take Ackley I would hope that I had enough offense somewhere to offset his having to play 1B just in case.

I'd like to pose two questions to you guys that know much more about this stuff than me.

1. Would it be atypical, or ill advised, to take an advanced college hitter like Ackley and move him to a position where he provides better value? We did this with Hoes, but he's obviously on a longer developmental program. I'm thinking of 3B for Ackley, but I don't know if that's smart with a player who should only be 1-2 years from the majors.

2. I think a decent, though admittedly optmistic, Ackley comp (as a hitter) might be Youkilis. Until last year, Youk didn't really have power. However, he's a REAL tough out and he's valuable at multiple positions. My question is, are some on this site potentially over valuing pure power at 1B (in the form of HRs) in comparison to overall OPS? I happen to think Ackley's OPS will be quite good - sort of like Markakis - even if he doesn't hit 30-40 bombs every year. In fact, I think Kakes is another nice hitting comp for Ackley. Personally, I'd love to have Kakes playing at any position he can field.

Thoughts?

Not a goal I would set at all, but if the talent difference was there and you felt like you had to take Ackley I would hope that I had enough offense somewhere to offset his having to play 1B just in case.

There is just too much projection there for drafting a guy to make up for a offensive production surplus. I mean, it would make sense to me if you were option limited and looking at a free agent or a trade subject, but for a draft . . . that is way too micromanaging in my opinion.

I'd like to pose two questions to you guys that know much more about this stuff than me.

1. Would it be atypical, or ill advised, to take an advanced college hitter like Ackley and move him to a position where he provides better value? We did this with Hoes, but he's obviously on a longer developmental program. I'm thinking of 3B for Ackley, but I don't know if that's smart with a player who should only be 1-2 years from the majors.

2. I think a decent, though admittedly optmistic, Ackley comp (as a hitter) might be Youkilis. Until last year, Youk didn't really have power. However, he's a REAL tough out and he's valuable at multiple positions. My question is, are some on this site potentially over valuing pure power at 1B (in the form of HRs) in comparison to overall OPS? I happen to think Ackley's OPS will be quite good - sort of like Markakis - even if he doesn't hit 30-40 bombs every year. In fact, I think Kakes is another nice hitting comp for Ackley. Personally, I'd love to have Kakes playing at any position he can field.

Thoughts?

It doesn't make sense with Ackely, simply because you'd likely be delaying his arrival by 1-2 years, which cuts into your return on investment.

As an aside (and somewhat off topic while being somewhat on topic), I wrote last year that I thought Lawrie would be an "overdraft" because his drafting team couldn't afford to hold his bat back while he learned to catch, and he didn't really profile well as a Major Leaguer at any IF or OF position.

Well, I ate crow when he was drafted by MIL and listed as a catcher, and added to Team Canada as a catcher. Just recently, MIL decided they couldn't hold his bat back while waiting for him to learn the position, so he's now back to IF. Vindication! Oh, and I think you'd see the same thing with Ackley were they to shift him to 2B.

Why hasn't there been much talk about Ackley as a left fielder? His bat may not play enough at first base and he may not be able to stick in center due to arm strength. In left he would probably give plus defense and decent offense.

Why hasn't there been much talk about Ackley as a left fielder? His bat may not play enough at first base and he may not be able to stick in center due to arm strength. In left he would probably give plus defense and decent offense.

I think the issue is whether or not his arm can handle the OF in general. If it can, CF is the first position to talk about since his speed easily plays there. As an aside, his power might be a little light for a corner OF spot, though he's flashing a little more pop so far this year. Ideally, you try and keep him at a permium position.

Ackley with a rough day (for him) as he goes 1-5 with 2 RBI to lower his BA to .396.

One thing that gives me pause that I didn't notice is that he's been dreadful vs. LHP with a .174 BA. Granted that means he's killing RHP, but the struggles vs. LHP could be an issue for him at the pro level...

Archived