Bowden on some Os related deadline thoughts

Sports Guy

48 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

No matter what his stats are now, his last year proves he is high risk and therefore can't be trusted. His price will also be a lot higher. We have the assets to get someone who is more dependable.

That's a fair assessment.  I wouldn't be willing to give up a whole lot for him but I'd at least inquire rather than just dismissing the possibility out of hand based on what he did last year (which is not what you were doing). 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

I don’t understand why Basallo is untouchable. Don’t we have Adley. Trade Basallo for a #2 if possible asap.

Huh?  Teams carry two catchers, both can DH, both can play 1B, Adley has not been extended, and so forth.  The Orioles can easily and happily roster both of them.  

7 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

I don’t understand why Basallo is untouchable. Don’t we have Adley. Trade Basallo for a #2 if possible asap.

Its the years of control with the #2 thats the problem. We have 6 years of Basallo. Elias clearly puts alot of value in that, as he should.

Also, the Adley years are three after this season. Unlikely Basallo starts with the team next year so at most he's part of two years of AR. They can split Catching duties which should keep both bats fresh. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Its the years of control with the #2 thats the problem. We have 6 years of Basallo. Elias clearly puts alot of value in that, as he should.

Also, the Adley years are three after this season. Unlikely Basallo starts with the team next year so at most he's part of two years of AR. They can split Catching duties which should keep both bats fresh. 

I get it. But we are trying to win a World Series this year right now.

1 hour ago, TopGunnar said:

I want to win a World Series after being a bottom feeder my whole life. They have a legitimate shot to do that. You gotta take a shot now

I refer you back to my first comment. There is zero reason or need to trade anyone above Kjerstad. 

3 hours ago, TopGunnar said:

I want to win a World Series after being a bottom feeder my whole life. They have a legitimate shot to do that. You gotta take a shot now

So you win one, then go back to being a bottom feeder after draining the system of talent and your home grown ML guys price out of Baltimore.

IMO, there's really no one available at the moment who's worth moving Basallo, Mayo or Holliday for. Kjerstad would be tough to let go, but based on his position, years of control and  "defensive prowess," I'd be fine seeing him go for a solid SP. His bat is legit though. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, PHRESH said:

So you win one, then go back to being a bottom feeder after draining the system of talent and your home grown ML guys price out of Baltimore.

IMO, there's really no one available at the moment who's worth moving Basallo, Mayo or Holliday for. Kjerstad would be tough to let go, but based on his position, years of control and  "defensive prowess," I'd be fine seeing him go for a solid SP. His bat is legit though. 

Draining the system might be a little exaggerated. ;)

Yet, I feel the same way about the years of control aspect.  You have to give some to get some, but I don't see them doing that with with Pitching... especially rentals.  Kjerstad is an interesting thought, but I think I'd be as surprised by them trading one from our active ML roster as a top prospect.  I think that article at the beginning is likely correct that we want to trade from the middle of our farm.

I would be shocked if we aren't active in FA for a maybe a #1 SP and possibly 2 #2's, something like that.  I feel like it's more likely we do something akin to what we did last year with Fuji and Flaherty.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kidrock said:

My preference is to be good for 10 years.  The best teams rarely wins.  Let’s be consistent like the Ravens in 2007-2012 and win one.  Or the Braves.  Make a move for a great reliever, sure, but that shouldn’t cost the elite talent.

We could be the Astros who have won 2 WS appeared in another. And been to what FIVE consecutive ALCS?

With the extreme approach that we took to amass this kind of talent, I would rather set the bar high. We didn’t need to undergo the misery of extreme tanking just to have a team that could qualify for the playoffs each year. The Brewers and Guardians have that and they didn’t employ the extreme tank tactics. What we did forced MLB to change the rules to prevent it from being done again.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Reed Trimble -  The just turned 24 yo OF was our 2nd 2nd round pick in 2021.   Injuries had limited him to 290 PA before this year with mediocre results.   This year at Aberdeen in 24 games and 94 PA he has 7 doubles, 3 triples, 2 homers, a .276 avg, and a .913 OPS.   Extrapolated over 120 games that would be quite a season.   He’s started 40 games in CF in his minor league career and 5 with Aberdeen.   No idea what his long term viability is there but he might be becoming a prospect again. Carter Young -  I can’t believe I just typed “Carter Young”.   I thought Young looked very meh last year in Delmarva.   Then I saw him in a ML ST game and thought he looked stronger, more athletic, at the plate.   Then he proceeded to OPS .340 in April and .440 in May.   I check the mil box scores everyday.  I’m thinking why do they play this guy?   Why don’t they just release this guy.  He stinks.   And then?  I’d see the box scores in June and he wasn’t awful.  So, I just checked.   In June, Carter Young, in 21 games and 87 PA, hit 3 homers, 15 RBI, and a .776 OPS,  the plate discipline (7 BB, 25 K) was not good but it was still something totally unexpected.  In 5 games in July he’s hitting .316 with a .771 OPS.  Hey, I’m not calling him a prospect but if this continues you might be able to mention that word and Carter Young in the same sentence. Juan Rojas -  Juan who?   Yeah, the 4th pitcher we got in the Jorge Lopez trade who had good numbers in the FCL and then bad numbers and injured since we got him.  His numbers still stink (ERA over 6) but two things.   I’ve seen him and he looks pretty good and he’s actually had some good results before tiring.  Still just 20 years old, Rojas only has 21 innings at Delmarva but they’ve been ramping him up slowly as a starter.   Last night he pitched 4 innings and gave up 3 runs.  Not good.   However, the first 4 innings were 1 hit, 0 walks, and 6 strikeouts.    I’ll just say, remember the name.    Yeiber Cartaya -  A 6’5 21 yo RHP signed in 2019 who hasn’t done much so far.  He’s been getting starts in the FCL and has a 5.22 ERA.  He also has 49 K in 29 innings and yesterday walked 2 and K 10 in 4 innings against a strong Pirates team.   I’m hoping the stuff is what I imagine.   Seems like a Felix Bautista type in the regard of “If he can consistently throw strikes he might really be something” and he seems to be figuring it out. I’ve got a few more candidates for this list but that’s it for now.    
    • Reed Trimble -  The just turned 24 yo OF was our 2nd 2nd round pick in 2021.   Injuries had limited him to 290 PA before this year with mediocre results.   This year at Aberdeen in 24 games and 94 PA he has 7 doubles, 3 triples, 2 homers, a .276 avg, and a .913 OPS.   Extrapolated over 120 games that would be quite a season.   He’s started 40 games in CF in his minor league career and 5 with Aberdeen.   No idea what his long term viability is there but he might be becoming a prospect again. Carter Young -  I can’t believe I just typed “Carter Young”.   I thought Young looked very meh last year in Delmarva.   Then I saw him in a ML ST game and thought he looked stronger, more athletic, at the plate.   Then he proceeded to OPS .340 in April and .440 in May.   I check the mil box scores everyday.  I’m thinking why do they play this guy?   Why don’t they just release this guy.  He stinks.   And then?  I’d see the box scores in June and he wasn’t awful.  So, I just checked.   In June, Carter Young, in 21 games and 87 PA, hit 3 homers, 15 RBI, and a .776 OPS,  the plate discipline (7 BB, 25 K) was not good but it was still something totally unexpected.  In 5 games in July he’s hitting .316 with a .771 OPS.  Hey, I’m not calling him a prospect but if this continues you might be able to mention that word and Carter Young in the same sentence. Juan Rojas -  Juan who?   Yeah, the 4th pitcher we got in the Jorge Lopez trade who had good numbers in the FCL and then bad numbers and injured since we got him.  His numbers still stink (ERA over 6) but two things.   I’ve seen him and he looks pretty good and he’s actually had some good results before tiring.  Still just 20 years old, Rojas only has 21 innings at Delmarva but they’ve been ramping him up slowly as a starter.   Last night he pitched 4 innings and gave up 3 runs.  Not good.   However, the first 4 innings were 1 hit, 0 walks, and 6 strikeouts.    I’ll just say, remember the name.    Yeiber Cartaya -  A 6’5 21 yo RHP signed in 2019 who hasn’t done much so far.  He’s been getting starts in the FCL and has a 5.22 ERA.  He also has 49 K in 29 innings and yesterday walked 2 and K 10 in 4 innings against a strong Pirates team.   I’m hoping the stuff is what I imagine.   Seems like a Felix Bautista type in the regard of “If he can consistently throw strikes he might really be something” and he seems to be figuring it out. I’ve got a few more candidates for this list but that’s it for now.    
    • Man… I think I pull the trigger on that.   Doesn’t cost any of the top 3.    You could replace RMs bat with Mayo.    Losing Kjerstad sucks but you instantly have the best rotation in the majors for this years playoffs AND another arm to pair with Grayson for next year once Burns walks         Now,  would they do this?   They have to strongly consider it… maybe a slight tweak, but I think it’s in the ballpark.       
    • Skubal also has relatively pronounced home and away splits.   His away ERA this year is still good though, 3.16
    • Eh that’s also possibly true. But the risk would be spread over multiple, as we’ve seen, volatile assets. 
    • Agree I'm gonna sit tight with what we have now, pick up something at the deadline to bolster the pen that does not cost as much
  • Popular Contributors