You can dismiss it as "one bad game"...but it's very telling.

23 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

For you being a journalist and writer?  I am disappointed that you can't use paragraphs.  I mean this is literally grade school writing 101. 

Im sorry I disappoint you. It's called a vent. And it's not about writing. 

If this was a Ravens game when you play only 17 times, I’d be more concerned. But it’s 1/162 so pretty sure every team gets beat once or twice a year like this. Would you feel better if we lost 1-0? No. I’m just glad we won last night. Povich is a stop gap answer and everyone knows that.

57 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

The Orioles have serious pitching problems....thats not breaking news...but the truth is besides Burnes, G-rod, and maybe Kremer and Albert...this team has virtually nothing else in the pitching department..Absolutely no depth....The Orioles have somehow gotten by for most of the first half of the season with stop gap pitching in the back of the rotation, and an extremely questionable bullpen.Sure. every team has bad games, and so do top pitchers...it happens. But Povich , though he had some decent outings, is NOT Major League ready and should be sent down for Chayce McDermott. McDermott's numbers at Norfolk dont dazzle either, he too has severe command issues...but we have to see "what we have" before the deadline. The Orioles may need 2 veteran arms to provide depth in thee rotation...and definitely need an arm or two in the pen. Going into today, incredibly,the Orioles had the second best ERA in the majors...but it's been a very deceptive stat. Our pen is grossly overworked and the starters cant afford another injury to the rotation. I'd move Irvin too. He's been awful..maybe he can work on some things in Norfolk...but the Orioles have little or no options after McDermott....not a single starter at Norfolk has impressed. I think you'll see major moves at the deadline. We could see Mountcastle traded..and or Hays...Stowers, Norby, and others will go too... I wouldn't trade Kjerstad, Mayo or Basalo...but anyone else in the minors  and some veterans is a consideration. Povich was awful today, from literally the first batter...Orioles need to send him down and see if McDermott is any kind of option. I kind of think he's not  SOS.

Meh … overreaction! The best teams lose 60ish games in this league. 

4 minutes ago, owknows said:

never really understood the knee-jerk Roy hating that bubbles up here.

If Roy wasn't a minor celebrity would folks be so quick to defend him?

I try and treat everyone the same here, lot of folks think I treat everyone poorly and that's fine, but I try to be consistent.  Some of Roy's content is really excellent and some of it is pretty poor.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Roy wasn't a minor celebrity would folks be so quick to defend him?

I try and treat everyone the same here, lot of folks think I treat everyone poorly and that's fine, but I try to be consistent.  Some of Roy's content is really excellent and some of it is pretty poor.

Hey 'Can' ..I don't need defending. And I never have considered myself a "celebrity" here. Major or minor.... I'm just an Oriole fan. That's all.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

Hey 'Can' ..I don't need defending. And I never have considered myself a "celebrity" here. Major or minor.... I'm just an Oriole fan. That's all.

I never said you try to act like a celebrity here or requested defending.

But folks do what folks do.

If you want it or not some folks are going to treat you differently.

Longer term the situation hitting is still what worries me the most and usually what we have struggled with the last decade when we’ve made the playoffs. Better pitching, colder weather (usually) does not lend itself to hitting a bunch of homers and winning smash fests. There are times this team hits well with RISP but others when it doesn’t. Though it isn’t just the Orioles that struggle with this. 

This was a really bad day for Povich and I don’t think it’s all that characteristic.   He does have games where his strike % and walk numbers are high, but his reputation is that his pitches are generally around the plate.  He came in today and his first four pitches were at least 18 inches off the plate, the fourth of which hit the back wall behind home plate on the fly.   Then he walked the next guy on 5 pitches, and none of the four balls were anyone close.  He looked like he was very uncomfortable with Oakland’s mound, couldn’t find a comfortable landing point, etc.  So, it’s kind of an outlier outing.

On the other hand, last year Povich did have several games where his command went walkabout and he couldn’t minimize the damage.  A big part of pitching is figuring out how to cope when your stuff isn’t working well, and Povich still has a long way to go in that regard, it appears.   

I’m not in favor of pulling him for the rotation or anything like that based on this one outing.  Let’s not forget that he threw to a 2.53 ERA in the previous four outings.  He’s capable of having more outings like those.   But he needs to learn how to hold things together better on his off-days.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Being honest?  You remind me more and more of J Biden.  And in every way bad imaginable.

You ramble.  Have major ups.  Have major downs.  Very emotional.

As a kid watching you on ESPN growing up?  Again....disappointing. 

Do better.

It seems to be a compelling need in small men, to attempt to improve their stature by slapping at their betters.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dtk9119 said:

In addition to needing SPing, the stat I saw about them being 2nd to last in MLB producing w/ the bases loaded and less than 2 outs is very telling (ironically the A's were last). I don't care if they are "leading" MLB in all of these offensive stats. The eye test says this team does not hit consistently in the clutch. They pile up a lot of garbage time runs like today, but when it's clutch time its a big fat choke. This is not the makings of a WS contender.

That’s a bit odd, because it’s basically the exactly same group as last year, and they were historically good at hitting in the clutch in 2023. Do you think they’ve all just gotten bad at that skill this year?

Or do you think they just miss Adam Frazier, the King of Clutch, that much?