Mountcastle ?????

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The million dollar question is what contending team is willing to move pitching at all, or better than what we have?  I agree, it sounds like a good idea.  Mountcastle might do better out of the tough competition of the AL East and the WALL.  Probably a deal that happens this offseason.  

You can take prospects for Mountcastle as additional farm depth to trade from in exchange for pitching.  Or involve him in a 3 team trade.

Could he be a piece to Seattle at the deadline for Woo? Obviously you can never have enough starting pitching if youre Seattle, but their highest OPS hitter is at .735 last I checked.

55 minutes ago, Hallas said:

You can take prospects for Mountcastle as additional farm depth to trade from in exchange for pitching.  Or involve him in a 3 team trade.

Sounds good, but we can get a similar prospect deal in the offseason at this point.  Even worst case scenario is to use Mounty as a RH bat vs LH SP in the playoffs.  If we traded Mounty, we'd still need that.  For the playoffs... we currently have a need for RH bat vs LH SP at 1B and DH.  Mayo only fills one of those needs.  We need Mounty for the other.  

IF Seattle would entertain a trade of Mounty, Cowser, Urias, DeLeon for Woo then I would be interested.  

I think he's just doing what he's always done. For a guy who can look incredibly bad for weeks at a time and go heaters as crazy as anyone on the team, he is remarkably consistent from year to year. Aside from the pandemic year, he has been 108-120 OPS+, .250-.270, .305-.328, .729-.796, 1.5-1.9 WAR. He is on track for another Mountcastle year of good-not-great performance with plus power, low walks, and a lot of bad swing decisions.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sounds good, but we can get a similar prospect deal in the offseason at this point.  Even worst case scenario is to use Mounty as a RH bat vs LH SP in the playoffs.  If we traded Mounty, we'd still need that.  For the playoffs... we currently have a need for RH bat vs LH SP at 1B and DH.  Mayo only fills one of those needs.  We need Mounty for the other.  

IF Seattle would entertain a trade of Mounty, Cowser, Urias, DeLeon for Woo then I would be interested.  

Santander covers the other of those needs.  Mayo isn't covering any of them currently, so by slotting him directly for Mountcastle we're not losing anything.

Is that an offseason trade you're proposing?  If it's in-season then your willingness to trade Cowser to anyone who will listen is a little weird.  He's the only guy other than Mullins on the team or in the high minors that can play CF competently.

Edited by Hallas

48 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think he's just doing what he's always done. For a guy who can look incredibly bad for weeks at a time and go heaters as crazy as anyone on the team, he is remarkably consistent from year to year. Aside from the pandemic year, he has been 108-120 OPS+, .250-.270, .305-.328, .729-.796, 1.5-1.9 WAR. He is on track for another Mountcastle year of good-not-great performance with plus power, low walks, and a lot of bad swing decisions.

Excellent summary.  He is who is at this point.  The question for the offseason is do we move on from Mountcastle and give Mayo a shot at 1B?  Or do we keep Mountcastle and try to find another way to get Mayo in the lineup.

27 minutes ago, Otter said:

Excellent summary.  He is who is at this point.  The question for the offseason is do we move on from Mountcastle and give Mayo a shot at 1B?  Or do we keep Mountcastle and try to find another way to get Mayo in the lineup.

Getting Mayo at 1B is what I had been hoping for . Because Westy  proved he can play 3B defensively, no need to worry about him . However 1B is safer move for Mayo