Penn traded to the Marlins for IF Robert Andino

Steel Curtain

BTW, looks like a lot of people were wrong. Even MacPhail was quoted (in Roch's blog) as saying that Penn was going to be claimed.

Yea, I was wrong...I knew there was a better chance of him vs Pauley but I didn't think he would get claimed.

Shows that teams still see talent and upside in him.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I said I thought the odds he'd be claimed were < 5%. But I also said I trusted MacPhail to make that judgment based on actual information.

McPhail was approached by the Marlins early in spring training about acquiring Penn, so he knew at last one team was interested. Put him through on waivers and the Marlins would have just picked him up for free.

Marlins general manager Larry Beinfest expressed interest in Penn earlier this spring, and again when MacPhail contacted him once it became apparent that the right-hander wasn't going to make the club. The Orioles were convinced that Penn would be claimed off waivers, and they wanted a player in return who could back up shortstop Cesar Izturis.

My advice - treat Drew like any other poster when it comes to his opinions about the team and its moves, and ignore the other stuff about his radio station and press credentials. He's not the only one who doesn't like the Penn move or who doesn't see the distinction between Penn and Pie. You guys are the ones who are allowing him to take threads off-topic by getting into this other stuff. Ignore it!
Agreed on that.

You know, I'm liking this trade a little bit. I hope we didn't do it because we were afraid of Penn being claimed on waivers because we should have held a spot for him on the club. But if we did it because we're closing the chapter on Penn...

Well, I don't like giving up on Penn, but Andino seems to be ahead of Blake Davis or any other SS we have in the system, so he does come to a position of need. And although his K:BB is distressing, he's been producing at a decent level in AAA and just needs to make that jump. If he can't... well, what percent chance do you think Penn had of working out in an Orioles uniform?

Pie has been coming around of late, and his OPS is now in the ballpark of where, say, Jay Payton was last year. Penn, on the other hand, fell apart as ST went along and his ERA is over 10 and all his other peripherals stink. Simply put, Pie is a B+ prospect who has had a D+ spring, while Penn is a C+ prospect who has had an F spring. And, starting Pie 75% of the time in LF doesn't hurt the team nearly as much as having Penn in the rotation if they both do poorly. Hence, the different treatment.

Except that we need pitching so much more than we need outfield help. Certainly Penn couldn't have done much worse this spring but somewhere there must be lurking the ability he showed in past years. At least maybe?

And I don't know why you give Pie a B+ rating as a peospect at this point.

BTW, looks like a lot of people were wrong. Even MacPhail was quoted (in Roch's blog) as saying that Penn was going to be claimed.

More of a shocker to me is it wasnt San Diego that made the trade. Florida seems to always have an abundant of young arms so as SG points out they seem to see some upside with Penn.

There really is no reason for Freel to make this team now.

Andino + Montanez >>>>>> Gomez + Freel

Agreed! But there has been little need for Freel since the addition of Pie (and since Freel hasn't shown the ability to play SS)

Except that we need pitching so much more than we need outfield help. Certainly Penn couldn't have done much worse this spring but somewhere there must be lurking the ability he showed in past years. At least maybe?

And I don't know why you give Pie a B+ rating as a peospect at this point.

Just my opinion. He certainly has showed a lot more at AAA the last 2 years than Penn has, so whatever grade you'd give Penn today, Pie would have to be a full letter grade higher IMO.

We will find out if Pie is better than Reimold and Montanez. But I'm 100% sure that Penn wasn't even close to our best pitching prospect anymore.

At least the godawful idea of a 13 man pitching staff has been put to rest for good.

This is the one time I might have been o.k. (just o.k.) with a 13-man staff... at least for April or so. It just would have given the Os more time to make decisions on a couple of guys. Now, I feel like they are really committed to Eaton.

I'm glad this trade was made. Penn has been trending in the wrong direction for the past couple years, and I'm sure people will say he's been hurt etc, but even healthy, he clearly has not shown the same type of upside as he did several years ago. If you had a dollar for every pitcher, who at 21 or 22 put up an outstanding season, and was considered to have great upside, and was then out of baseball by 25, I suspect you'd be a wealthy person. I wish Penn luck, and a great career, but I just dont see it happening.

Oh, just want to point out, from someone who doesn't get B'more radio and has no idea who DF even is. The people who attack him to show how immature his posts are, come across as equally immature. I'm pretty certain its a no win situation, lets talk baseball!

Archived