Penn traded to the Marlins for IF Robert Andino

Steel Curtain

There really is no reason for Freel to make this team now.

Andino + Montanez >>>>>> Gomez + Freel

It's true

but you just know the O's are gonna open with the vets like Eaton and Freel no matter what anyway.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only reason to keep Freel is a non-baseball one...because AM gave committed to Freel when the Hernandez trade was made. I'd love to see him and $$ traded for a Tony Butler-like pitcher, but I don't think it'll happen any time soon.

I've got to be honest, I don't think many of us care what you think of it. You've failed to add any value to the discussions around here in your - still-brief - tenure, and you constantly drag the discussion back to you.

So, thanks for your input.

Please don't assume a position for the entire board.

Please don't assume a position for the entire board.

Get off my back. You're such an annoyance. Gonna throw up your arms in disgust because I might describe your behavior with a five-dollar word again? Have some other petty complaint?

I said "many of us". If you want to dispute whether "many" do or don't please offer something in return - i.e., evidence that I'm wrong.

You know, I have been told that Drew believes he is one of the most knowledgable sports people in the area(ie in the media)...Sure would be nice if he even came close to backing that up.

As for Penn...i hate to see him go and wish him well...I am glad we didn't lose him for nothing though and maybe acquired some kind of useful piece.

Exactly. We got a necessary piece for this year and the future. Penn did not do himself any favors. The ""youth and upside" arguments can only excuse you so much. Sooner or later you need to show something.

For each of the last two years Penn has been in a situation where the only way he doesn't make the ML team is if he pitches his way out of it. And he did that again this year.

I wish him success, but this is not a John Maine situation where you could make the case we gave up on a guy too early or where we are trading away for peanuts.

If anything this is more like our version of Rich Hill. Penn and Hill were in similar situations and will hope to catch on somewhere else. Be thankful that the Orioles got a legit piece for the bench.

Penn had it handed to him on a silver platter TWICE and crapped the bed both times. He didn't deserve to make the team.

First, his performances this spring mean nothing in terms of numbers. You're not the only one but others as well continue to state that he failed to earn a spot in TWO tries. That is completely silly.

Second, I doubt he was making the team anyways. I bet he was turned back into a starter simply to get looked at: trade bait for two weeks.

First, his performances this spring mean nothing in terms of numbers. You're not the only one but others as well continue to state that he failed to earn a spot in TWO tries. That is completely silly.

Second, I doubt he was making the team anyways. I bet he was turned back into a starter simply to get looked at: trade bait for two weeks.

Do you honestly think that if Penn had pitched lights out this spring he wouldn't be in our rotation?

I'm not asking if you think that spring performance should count for anything.... but given the pathetic starting pitching situation we are facing, if an out-of-options prospect/ex-prospect had a really good srping, I think he would be in the rotation. I think if you switch Penn and Simon's stats, Penn is in the rotation and Simon isn't.

You really don't think that is true? [Once again, I am not saying that is how decisions SHOULD be made....but I believe they do in fact get made that way sometimes].

Exactly. We got a necessary piece for this year and the future. Penn did not do himself any favors. The ""youth and upside" arguments can only excuse you so much. Sooner or later you need to show something.

For each of the last two years Penn has been in a situation where the only way he doesn't make the ML team is if he pitches his way out of it. And he did that again this year.

I wish him success, but this is not a John Maine situation where you could make the case we gave up on a guy too early or where we are trading away for peanuts.

If anything this is more like our version of Rich Hill. Penn and Hill were in similar situations and will hope to catch on somewhere else. Be thankful that the Orioles got a legit piece for the bench.

This is not true.

2008 H Penn 0 0 0 1.80 4 0 0 0 5.0 3 2 1

2007 H Penn 1 1 0 1.80 4 1 0 0 10.0 8 2 2

How is it completely silly? Penn has only needed to pitch effectively and he would have been here. Penn has not pitched effectively. It is not like he was doing particularly well in the minors and this was a bad Spring.

This Spring is a trend for Penn. And you know that he knew all he had to do this Spring was not be terrible. He didn't have to be great, if he could just be okay he would have a shot, but he failed to step up.

Yes, Hayden has had a series of fluky injuries that have sidetracked his career and that stinks. But sooner or later you have to step up.

Moreover, too many people have flown by him on the depth chart. Arietta, Albers, Patton, Tillman they are higher-up on the team's speed dial now. Penn is no longer in the team's plans.

Do you honestly think that if Penn had pitched lights out this spring he wouldn't be in our rotation?

I'm not asking if you think that spring performance should count for anything.... but given the pathetic starting pitching situation we are facing, if an out-of-options prospect/ex-prospect had a really good srping, I think he would be in the rotation. I think if you switch Penn and Simon's stats, Penn is in the rotation and Simon isn't.

You really don't think that is true? [Once again, I am not saying that is how decisions SHOULD be made....but I believe they do in fact get made that way sometimes].

Yes, I do.

This is not true.

2008 H Penn 0 0 0 1.80 4 0 0 0 5.0 3 2 1

2007 H Penn 1 1 0 1.80 4 1 0 0 10.0 8 2 2

Agree with you here. Penn hurt his chances in 2007 by missing some time with a sprained ankle and then with the lost equipment bag episode. But it's hard to say he pitched his way out of a job in 2007-08. Put it this way, if he had done that well this year he'd be in the rotation.

Archived