Penn traded to the Marlins for IF Robert Andino

Steel Curtain

Last time I checked, Scott was the everyday left fielder last year and he had a better month of April than Pie's had a career.

If you think it's OK to bring in a kid who is unproven as a major leaguer and hand him the starting LF position (by the way, he's not really a LF, per-se) over a guy who had a good season the year before, that's fine.

I don't see the sense in that.

Luke Scott lost his starting job because?

Because Pie's a better defender and has a higher ceiling?

Since that was so obvious, I'm assuming you were asking a trick question, because Scott is of course still in the starting lineup.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Potential. We are a team in need of talent. Adding Pie to the mix is the type of gamble this team needs to take.

You and I agree on something.

"We are a team in need of talent..."

Agreed.

Off-season "talent" we acquired: Eaton, Hendrickson, Hill.

I can't wait to hear this explanation.

Last time I checked, Scott was the everyday left fielder last year and he had a better month of April than Pie's had a career.

If you think it's OK to bring in a kid who is unproven as a major leaguer and hand him the starting LF position (by the way, he's not really a LF, per-se) over a guy who had a good season the year before, that's fine.

Pie's defense >>> Scott's defense. Scott is your DH. Freel is the odd man out here. He is redundant at this point.

Much like nothing can make the Hill trade a bad one, nothing can make this a good one IMO.

We are in no position to be dealing 23 year old pitchers with Penn's potential and talent. Remember, he has been hurt and dealing with injuries. His stuff has been flashed numerous times this ST.

If the O's thought he was part of their future, or even 2009 coming into this season, then this ST should not change that one bit. We are seeing a huge over-reaction to ST stats and small sample sizes.

On top of that, they felt the need to send him through waivers and likely figured he wouldn't get through, so AM got something for him. It's incredibly stupid to lose Penn over any one of Bass, Baez, and Eaton, when you consider where we are going in 2009. Eaton is not getting a free pass for his ST, but Penn is not? Is this Hargrove Mazzilli all over?

Very stupid move and I'm losing a bit of confidence in the team, especially Trembley after his comments on Penn.

Ravenbird, you hit it out of the park. Spot on! Why are we giving up on a young prospect with an upside for a guy whose upside is a utility guy! Stay the course with prospects, build for the future. Guys like Eaton, Hendrickson, Walker, and Baez will be long gone by the time we are ready to compete.

I think you missed the point.

That was not a discussion item about Adam Jones vs. Felix Pie. I didn't mention Adam Jones at all.

Pie's been bad EVERYWHERE this spring.

Penn's been bad too.

Pie stays. And gets the LF job without even doing any sit-ups.

Penn goes.

And they keep other re-treads around.

That's my point.

Just sayin'...

Pie's been hitting well of late (taking walks too). And his defense is still solid despite what the weather conditions have been doing to flyballs in LF.

I doubt Eaton is released.They prefer him in the rotation over Baez and Bass. It is between these two IMO. I would hate to see them lose Bass because of Baez' contract. Olson has an option. But when Hill comes back and Hendrickson goes to the pen who is the odd man out?

This is the second time in the thread you've mentioned Olson. He was traded to the Cubs for Felix Pie.

Since that was so obvious, I'm assuming you were asking a trick question, because Scott is of course still in the starting lineup.

When Pie was in the Dominican Visa Office messing his own paperwork up, he also managed to hack the Orioles computer system and deny Drew his coveted full-season press pass with Andy MacPhail access! :rofl:

Agreed.

Don't forget Uehara, Freel, Justin Turner, Brandon Waring...

Agreed.

:rofl:

By the way Drew, how come Schmuck got to talk with MacPhail today? Is the Sun being paid off by the O's now too?

Guys, let's keep this about Penn and Andino, and not about those of questionable reputation with axes to grind.

Andino looks like a very interesting guy. Probably not likely to turn into more than a utility player, but he looks like he might be developing as a hitter and sounds like a good defender. If he can become Cesar Izturis at a fraction of the cost it might be helpful at least as the backup infielder in the future.

Scott didn't lose his starting job. He's still in the everyday lineup.

Agreed.

We agree on Eaton and Hendrickson. Hill was another acquisition that I like. He's a low risk/high reward guy. If he does poorly, we will likely lose a prospect who was never going to make the majors.

I'm not sure what to make of this.

Pie has stunk throughout spring training but they gave him the starting LF job over a guy who was here last year and performed admirably. I know, I know, Andy's trying to prove something to the Chicago fans with Pie...I get it. But Pie's spring has been bad (and Scott's, good) and he's a fixture.

? Scott is on the team and very likely to see significant playing time.

Saying that I have also considered the Pie pickup as an extraneous one. But that die is cast, hopefully he will exceed, we are going to find out.

Penn hasn't been very good either. And his minor league numbers haven't been spectacular in recent years.

That said, they've invested 7 years in the guy and he's still young. You're going to keep Hendrickson and Baez and, probably, Eaton...and ship this kid out? And in return, we get a lifetime .201 major league hitter (with upside, I'm sure) and some sunflower seeds.

I don't understand it.

Then again, I'm not allowed to ask the team any real questions.

This is definitely one I'd like to speak with Andy MacPhail about...it sorta doesn't make any sense since - as everyone knows - "we're not going to win anyway..."

Alas, MacPhail won't field questions from the media unless you're paying the team a rights fee.

I guess we'll all just have to form our own opinion on it.

Gun to my head, I'd bet Penn doesn't make it in the major leagues. So, ultimately, this might not be much of a loss.

But giving him up for a scrub utility guy and keeping some has-been pitching re-treads around doesn't seem right. I still say it would have been better to give him 10 ML starts this spring to see what he can do. If he gets shelled, we know for sure.

If only we could talk to the powers that be...

You have some good points wrapped in a self-serving miasma of whine.

You think Pie has a higher ceiling than Scott? I don't.

Archived