Penn traded to the Marlins for IF Robert Andino

Steel Curtain

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Florida Marlins fan living in Baltimore here...

When I saw the announcement of the trade this afternoon I was ecstatic. I should preface this by saying that I think far less on Andino than most of our fanbase does, but I don't see him realistically being a long-term middle infield option. While still only 24, he has not displayed any ability to handle ML pitching in his 100 ABs. I would argue his minor league numbers are inflated as a result of his long tenure in the hitter-friendly PCL. His best sampling size would be his 2007 stint where he had 600 ABs and posted a 750 OPS but that did not translate into remotely anything resembling success for the big club in 2008, where he was used as a spot starter and pinch hitter.

I would say the main thing you have to look forward to would be his glove. He looks pretty good at times despite making 30+ errors in 2007.

I'm glad to see him go mostly because I saw little potential in Andino and regarding his presence here to be a complication. It's always comforting to see the FO end experiments you don't anticipate succeeding.

Sounds almost exactly like most of our opinions of Penn.

Both guys are unlikely to ever earn a regular positions (starting pitcher / everyday SS) but may be able to stick in a secondary role (relief pitcher / utility infielder).

Solid trade for both teams. Not a trade that will likely be remembered as an important trade for anybody, but basically these teams swapped projects.

My two cents. When I first heard this on the radio in the last hour, I figured it was significant. I thought it definitely means that Gomez and Cabrera are gone, Andino makes the 25 man as the backup shortstop and reserve infielder and joins a bench of Moeller, Freel and Wigginton. Then we would go north with just 12 pitchers. I don't see any other reason for it.

Sounds almost exactly like most of our opinions of Penn.

Both guys are unlikely to ever earn a regular positions (starting pitcher / everyday SS) but may be able to stick in a secondary role (relief pitcher / utility infielder).

Solid trade for both teams. Not a trade that will likely be remembered as an important trade for anybody, but basically these teams swapped projects.

I think Penn has more potential upside. If the Marlins could get a potentially everyday relief pitcher in exchange for Andino, we get maximum return. I'm skeptical that Andino will give you guys much better numbers than his 2008 line (.206/.254/.333) as a back-up infielder. Those numbers are also pretty much in line with his abysmal spring training performance as well. If Andino is on your ML roster after the break, I'd be surprised.

Penn at least has some more reassuring success in the minor leagues at a younger age. The Orioles rushed him into the majors. Perhaps I am being too optimistic but I think that after a change of scenery and with the assistance of Mark Wiley (yes, we do think very highly of him!), he could at least give us a shadow of his originally regarded potential.

I would rather have Chris Gomez's bat over Andino's any day.

BTW, looks like a lot of people were wrong. Even MacPhail was quoted (in Roch's blog) as saying that Penn was going to be claimed.

Count me among the wrong. Well, if anyone had the slightest doubt about AM's fondness for defense, that's gotta be put to rest. I hope things work out for Penn - he's had a tough time of it, and I'm sorry to see him go.

Just changing a couple of words here and there and this reinforces the similarity between the two players.

I don't see him realistically being a long-term pitching option. While still only 24, he has not displayed any ability to handle ML hitters in his 58 IP. I would argue his minor league numbers are inflated as a result of his early success pre-2007. His best sampling size would be his 2005 stint where he had 110 IP and posted a 3.83 ERA but that did not translate into remotely anything resembling success for the big club in 2005 or 2006, when he made 14 starts.

I would say the main thing you have to look forward to would be his K-rate. He looks pretty good with the 8.0 MiL mark despite showing only half that at the ML level.

I'm glad to see him go mostly because I saw little potential in Penn and regarding his presence here to be a complication. It's always comforting to see the FO end experiments you don't anticipate succeeding.

Thats what it lloks like to me!

Well, considering Andy seemed to know he was going to be claimed off waivers, it was either get something or get nothing. Now we've got something (even if it isn't necessarily much) and Penn's safe in the National League.

In the big picture, it's not really a major trade, is it? Unless Penn morphs into the next Curt Schilling. There wasn't much else McPhail could do - Penn being out of options and not pitching his way onto the staff. I'm happy he was actually able to acquire something the team needed - a solid backup SS - for a player that the O's were going to lose anyway.

I don't see how you (or anyone else for that matter) can render this guy as a solid backup shortstop?:confused: He seems to be a carbon copy of Luis Hernandez who many vilified beyond belief on this board (although I thought he got an unnecessarily bad rap.:(

First, his performances this spring mean nothing in terms of numbers. You're not the only one but others as well continue to state that he failed to earn a spot in TWO tries. That is completely silly.

Second, I doubt he was making the team anyways. I bet he was turned back into a starter simply to get looked at: trade bait for two weeks.

You don't think they matter in terms of numbers?

Ask Alfred Simon if his numbers mattered this spring.

And if you seriously think he wouldn't have been in this rotation if his number mirrored Simon's... well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Must have? It's common knowledge, isn't it?

I don't know of anyone who has been following this site who truly thought Penn was still anywhere close to his former top prospect status. I personally thought it was kind of funny how some seemed to wish him to pitch well while throwing out all semblance of reality and then being disapointed when he was terrible. I just don't understand that thought process at all.:scratchchinhmm:

Archived