Penn traded to the Marlins for IF Robert Andino

Steel Curtain

This guy's minor league offensive resume is far superior to Luis Hernandez's. It doesn't mean he'll do any better but he has a lot more potential offensively.

Yes, I think that's right. What's less clear is whether he is any better offensively than powerhouses like Brandon Fahey (career .651 minor league OPS) and Blake Davis (career .707 minor league OPS). But what the heck, if his defense is good, let's give him the shot as Izturis' backup and find out what he has offensively.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know of anyone who has been following this site who truly thought Penn was still anywhere close to his former top prospect status. I personally thought it was kind of funny how some seemed to wish him to pitch well while throwing out all semblance of reality and then being disapointed when he was terrible. I just don't understand that thought process at all.:scratchchinhmm:

Luckily that wasn't my thought process, so we're okay so far.

They seem to value an old-school defense up the middle philosophy with a certain dedication we haven't seen in awhile. If they're going old-school, it would be pleasant if they go in all the way and put power at the corners.

I think we actually did Penn a favor. I'm sure DT's closed door discussion with Penn stressed that perspective and Penn, while disappointed, may have that perspective himself.

Guest rochester
My advice - treat Drew like any other poster when it comes to his opinions about the team and its moves, and ignore the other stuff about his radio station and press credentials. He's not the only one who doesn't like the Penn move or who doesn't see the distinction between Penn and Pie. You guys are the ones who are allowing him to take threads off-topic by getting into this other stuff. Ignore it!

Man, I have not been reading OH enough lately and do not live in Baltimore. Who is Drew and why does no one like him?

I mean bad besides his ST numbers. The FO must have thought he was such a long-shot to ever crack the majors that he wasn't even worth the 12th or 13th spot on a terrible pitching staff.

Right - I may be wrong about this, but presumably the O's were going beyond just looking at his ST numbers - they were probably also looking at him from a scout's perspective. If the scouts thought he looked good, then they probably would have kept him on the roster, regardless of his results.

But I remember hearing reports that his fastball was just OK and his curve was nowhere near what it used to be. So if you combine that with bad ST results, and then combine that with no backup SS or 2B... well, then the trade makes a lot of sense.

Guest rochester

Oops...I was caught up in this Drew thing and forgot to put my 2 cents (for what it's worth) in.

Penn has a ton of talent - for whatever reason he has, thus far, wasted it IMO. I believe that he may have brought up way too early but I also think that he was completely intimidated when he was here. A lot of hindsight...

I started feeling like I was reading interchangable threads with DCab. Neither one showed their promise here - and yes I know Penn is younger - but there comes a time when you have to cut your losses. Except for obvious situations sometimes I think that age is the entire basis for who should be here or not too often... Either you got it or you don't...IMO Penn does not, unfortunately for him and us.

I know very little about Andino but guess that he is better than losing Penn for $25,000.

So he had a bad ST? Big deal.

I really think this is a big mistake, regardless of how it turns out.

It's ridiculous that from the way DT was talking, that if Penn threw 7 SO innings yesterday, that he'd be in the rotation over Hendrickson, but if he got rocked, he'd be out of Baltimore.

Evaluating a former top prospect that is 24 years old with big time talent from a few Grapefruit League innings really is a joke.

You have to look at his minor league numbers. They aren't getting better and he was out of options.

That is the key, he was out of options. There comes a time when he either makes it or he doesn't. He did not make it here.

So he had a bad ST? Big deal.

I really think this is a big mistake, regardless of how it turns out.

It's ridiculous that from the way DT was talking, that if Penn threw 7 SO innings yesterday, that he'd be in the rotation over Hendrickson, but if he got rocked, he'd be out of Baltimore.

Evaluating a former top prospect that is 24 years old with big time talent from a few Grapefruit League innings really is a joke.

I think the big difference of opinion on this board is between those who think his 2004-06 performance shows he still has big time talent, and those who think that his performance in 2007-08 and this spring shows that he no longer has whatever big time talent he had.

Here's my 3 cents:

1. It seems like nobody has yet picked up on what El Gordo really means every time he puts Olson. He means ALBERS (the guy with an option).

2. While some folks hate the trade and some like it, I'm a bit surprised that none among the latter category express the unbridled joy and enthusiasm that I feel. This is one more piece of evidence that MacPhail is an absolute friggin genius. We turn a guy who clearly was not going to make the 25-man roster, and deservedly so, and who clearly was not gonna pass through waivers, into something not only of SOME value -- but precisely the piece we needed most: a young slick-gloved backup SS who will plug our most glaring current hole and will also have the chance to work with Crow on his weakness. Who knows what his upside will be if Crow can work some magic here? Potential future starting SS for us? Could be. And we got him for, essentially, nothing. Hats off to King Andy!

3. As for the final pitcher to be let go, it's ridiculous to think it could be Bass, our one and only long man at this point (and a very fine one to boot). It's ridiculous to think it could be Eaton, as we have precisely 5 starter candidates for 5 starter positions. (Caveat: If he's horrendous in his final start, this could change. But he'd have to be really bad). There are only 4, count 'em, 4 guys who could even conceivably be subtracted at this point:

(a) Johnson to the DL.

(b) Albers optioned to Norfolk.

© Baez DFAed, with an attempted trade for partial dollar recovery during the DFA period.

(d) Sarfate traded (as he would definitely have some value, but is not a completely critical piece for us).

And thus we have summed up the difference between Penn and Pie. One has it. The other is highly questionable. The one who has it is still sticking around.

Here's my 3 cents:

1. It seems like nobody has yet picked up on what El Gordo really means every time he puts Olson. He means ALBERS (the guy with an option).

2. While some folks hate the trade and some like it, I'm a bit surprised that none among the latter category express the unbridled joy and enthusiasm that I feel. This is one more piece of evidence that MacPhail is an absolute friggin genius. We turn a guy who clearly was not going to make the 25-man roster, and deservedly so, and who clearly was not gonna pass through waivers, into something not only of SOME value -- but precisely the piece we needed most: a young slick-gloved backup SS who will plug our most glaring current hole and will also have the chance to work with Crow on his weakness. Who knows what his upside will be if Crow can work some magic here? Potential future starting SS for us? Could be. And we got him for, essentially, nothing. Hats off to King Andy!

3. As for the final pitcher to be let go, it's ridiculous to think it could be Bass, our one and only long man at this point (and a very fine one to boot). It's ridiculous to think it could be Eaton, as we have precisely 5 starter candidates for 5 starter positions. (Caveat: If he's horrendous in his final start, this could change. But he'd have to be really bad). There are only 4, count 'em, 4 guys who could even conceivably be subtracted at this point:

(a) Johnson to the DL.

(b) Albers optioned to Norfolk.

© Baez DFAed, with an attempted trade for partial dollar recovery during the DFA period.

(d) Sarfate traded (as he would definitely have some value, but is not a completely critical piece for us).

Why should Albers be optioned to AAA?

Where do you suppose that "big time talent" has been for the past few years?

What is it about his performance in ST and in 2008 (when he's been perfectly healthy) that would cause anyone to believe he still retains such talent?

I don't think Penn was ever rated as high as guys who have left the organization with much less disagreement here - some injured - like Bautista, Levinski, Ainsworth and others. I do not mean to put Penn down, but it certainly appears that, whatever luster Penn had as a prospect previously (and "former top talent" and "big time talent" are pretty rich descriptions, IMO), he's not the same guy now.

They seem to value an old-school defense up the middle philosophy with a certain dedication we haven't seen in awhile. If they're going old-school, it would be pleasant if they go in all the way and put power at the corners.

You can say that again. Never mind, I've done it for you. ;)

Archived