Penn traded to the Marlins for IF Robert Andino

Steel Curtain

I'm not sure what to make of this.

Pie has stunk throughout spring training but they gave him the starting LF job over a guy who was here last year and performed admirably. I know, I know, Andy's trying to prove something to the Chicago fans with Pie...I get it. But Pie's spring has been bad (and Scott's, good) and he's a fixture.

Penn hasn't been very good either. And his minor league numbers haven't been spectacular in recent years.

That said, they've invested 7 years in the guy and he's still young. You're going to keep Hendrickson and Baez and, probably, Eaton...and ship this kid out? And in return, we get a lifetime .201 major league hitter (with upside, I'm sure) and some sunflower seeds.

I don't understand it.

Then again, I'm not allowed to ask the team any real questions.

This is definitely one I'd like to speak with Andy MacPhail about...it sorta doesn't make any sense since - as everyone knows - "we're not going to win anyway..."

Alas, MacPhail won't field questions from the media unless you're paying the team a rights fee.

I guess we'll all just have to form our own opinion on it.

Gun to my head, I'd bet Penn doesn't make it in the major leagues. So, ultimately, this might not be much of a loss.

But giving him up for a scrub utility guy and keeping some has-been pitching re-treads around doesn't seem right. I still say it would have been better to give him 10 ML starts this spring to see what he can do. If he gets shelled, we know for sure.

If only we could talk to the powers that be...

Adam Jones' 2008 spring in the field was equally as bad as Pie's has been this year.

Just sayin'.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure what to make of this.

Pie has stunk throughout spring training but they gave him the starting LF job over a guy who was here last year and performed admirably. I know, I know, Andy's trying to prove something to the Chicago fans with Pie...I get it. But Pie's spring has been bad (and Scott's, good) and he's a fixture.

Penn hasn't been very good either. And his minor league numbers haven't been spectacular in recent years.

That said, they've invested 7 years in the guy and he's still young. You're going to keep Hendrickson and Baez and, probably, Eaton...and ship this kid out? And in return, we get a lifetime .201 major league hitter (with upside, I'm sure) and some sunflower seeds.

I don't understand it.

Then again, I'm not allowed to ask the team any real questions.

This is definitely one I'd like to speak with Andy MacPhail about...it sorta doesn't make any sense since - as everyone knows - "we're not going to win anyway..."

Alas, MacPhail won't field questions from the media unless you're paying the team a rights fee.

I guess we'll all just have to form our own opinion on it.

Gun to my head, I'd bet Penn doesn't make it in the major leagues. So, ultimately, this might not be much of a loss.

But giving him up for a scrub utility guy and keeping some has-been pitching re-treads around doesn't seem right. I still say it would have been better to give him 10 ML starts this spring to see what he can do. If he gets shelled, we know for sure.

If only we could talk to the powers that be...

I've got to be honest, I don't think many of us care what you think of it. You've failed to add any value to the discussions around here in your - still-brief - tenure, and you constantly drag the discussion back to you.

So, thanks for your input.

If we were gonna expose Penn to waivers and lose him, then it's great we made this deal and got something from it instead.

Andino sounds alright, apparently he's an athletic guy with a shot at becoming a good shortstop. There's also the chance he can't hit MLB pitching, of course. It reads like the Marlins rushed him a bit and kind of squandered his options though.

On the other hand, I can't exactly call it a good move. I don't think we had to give up on Penn yet. We could have given him a year on the club, like we're doing with Pie, working with Kranitz and recovering from his injuries and shaking off some rust to see what we could get. He was a pretty promising prospect at one point. If having him in the rotation would be too painful, they could'be just kept him in the pen. But I guess the Orioles didn't like what they saw and gave up on his potential. If it turns out they were right... then okay. Good move. But we'll have to wait and see I guess. I'll definitely be following Penn with the Marlins.

Last time I looked, Scott is still on the team and will likely still be seeing significant at bats.

Last time I checked, Scott was the everyday left fielder last year and he had a better month of April than Pie's had a career.

If you think it's OK to bring in a kid who is unproven as a major leaguer and hand him the starting LF position (by the way, he's not really a LF, per-se) over a guy who had a good season the year before, that's fine.

I don't see the sense in that.

Luke Scott lost his starting job because?

Fangraphs:

The problem for Andino, though, is that he has little trade value at this point because he has yet to prove that he can hit Major League pitching.

---

This is poetic justice: trading a pitcher who couldn't prove he could pitch in the majors for a position player who hasn't proved he can hit in the majors! Hopefully Andino can field well.

Maybe you should start asking questions via Roch's blog :P

Good point - he's on the team's payroll, essentially, through his employment with MASN. Therefore, he's allowed to talk to MacPhail.

You're right about that.

Last time I checked, Scott was the everyday left fielder last year and he had a better month of April than Pie's had a career.

If you think it's OK to bring in a kid who is unproven as a major leaguer and hand him the starting LF position (by the way, he's not really a LF, per-se) over a guy who had a good season the year before, that's fine.

Because the team is better with him at DH and Pie playing a far superior defensive left field?

Maybe?

Potential. We are a team in need of talent. Adding Pie to the mix is the type of gamble this team needs to take.

Adam Jones' 2008 spring in the field was equally as bad as Pie's has been this year.

Just sayin'.

I think you missed the point.

That was not a discussion item about Adam Jones vs. Felix Pie. I didn't mention Adam Jones at all.

Pie's been bad EVERYWHERE this spring.

Penn's been bad too.

Pie stays. And gets the LF job without even doing any sit-ups.

Penn goes.

And they keep other re-treads around.

That's my point.

Just sayin'...

Another thought...

Couldn't someone have just accidentally stepped on Penn's big toe or made him move a box in the clubhouse, so he could have been placed on the DL? That way they could have bought extra time for Penn to try and get his act together in minors/rehab assignments without wasting a 25 man spot for him (which he clearly did not deserve right now).

Way to turn it into something about you.

Amigo, it's always about him. Even if he goes into superselfrestrainedmode, and holds it to one line out of many, it's still always about poor widdle him and how much the bad ole Orioles have screwed him over!

Fangraphs:

The problem for Andino, though, is that he has little trade value at this point because he has yet to prove that he can hit Major League pitching.

---

This is poetic justice: trading a pitcher who couldn't prove he could pitch in the majors for a position player who hasn't proved he can hit in the majors! Hopefully Andino can field well.

Hahaha. Love it!

Archived