Penn traded to the Marlins for IF Robert Andino

Steel Curtain

The bigger issue for me is why is it Eaton, Baez, or Bass over Penn? Because they had a better ST?

Make no mistake about it...If Penn and Bass switched numbers this ST, Penn would be heading North an Oriole and Bass would be on waivers.

So, basically, this ST was make or break for Penn in this organization. I don't think that's a wise move. Penn is healthy and that really should be the #1 goal.

Forget about this next version of Juan Castro we got for Penn....Come North with 13 pitchers with Penn the 13th if they have to. Let him build up his workload, work with Kranny, and see what happens.

Instead, we will have Eaton getting rocked in April and Baez coming in for him. I am totally on board with what AM is doing here but this is a head scratcher.

Penn would have a 20 ERA and there is still no justification for keeping him over Eaton or Baez.

It was make or break time for sure, and justifiably so. Again, it seems necessary to point out that ST wasn't his only chance, it was his last chance. Your point has some merit but finally you just have to cut bait.

Penn is like the beautiful girl who stands you up (or punches you in the face) every time you ask her out.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't everything about him in his mind? There are very few people in the world that I actively dislike, but I actively dislike this guy and I believe the board is worse off because of his whining, er, I mean participation.

Whether you agree or disagree with Drew, he's entitled to his opinion. I personally think it's commendable that he doesn't hide behind the microphone and call screeners and instead engages in discussion here despite knowledge that his opinion and/or delivery aren't always well-received.

As for the final pitcher to be let go, it's ridiculous to think it could be Bass, our one and only long man at this point (and a very fine one to boot). It's ridiculous to think it could be Eaton, as we have precisely 5 starter candidates for 5 starter positions. (Caveat: If he's horrendous in his final start, this could change. But he'd have to be really bad). There are only 4, count 'em, 4 guys who could even conceivably be subtracted at this point:

(a) Johnson to the DL.

(b) Albers optioned to Norfolk.

© Baez DFAed, with an attempted trade for partial dollar recovery during the DFA period.

(d) Sarfate traded (as he would definitely have some value, but is not a completely critical piece for us).

Why should Albers be optioned to AAA?
It’s not why SHOULD he be? It’s that it’s feasible and reasonable for us to CONSIDER this. If Andy doesn’t like any of the other 3 feasible choices, this would be a low-cost way to kick the can down the road a bit until he can her figgered out. In fact, this appears to me by far the likeliest choice. (I have no particular opinion as to whether it’s the best, but am comfortable with the concept that Andy’s been weighing the choice very carefully and will not be foolish in whichever way he decides to go. BTW, I think a Baez DFA is the 2nd most likely.)
I believe he was just laying out the options...
Right you are!

It’s not why SHOULD he be? It’s that it’s feasible and reasonable for us to CONSIDER this. If Andy doesn’t like any of the other 3 feasible choices, this would be a low-cost way to kick the can down the road a bit until he can her figgered out. In fact, this appears to me by far the likeliest choice. (I have no particular opinion as to whether it’s the best, but am comfortable with the concept that Andy’s been weighing the choice very carefully and will not be foolish in whichever way he decides to go. BTW, I think a Baez DFA is the 2nd most likely.)

Right you are!

Sending down Albers doesn't need to happen at all and really, it would be poor on our part to do so.

The staff should be:

Guthrie

Uehera

Bass

Simon

Hendrickson

Sherrill

JJ

Ray

Albers

Walker

Sarfate

Liz/Mickolio/etc....

Baez and Eaton gone.

When Hill is ready, he goes to the rotation, Hendrickson slides to the pen and you evaluate the status of Sarfate, the young arm and Walker...In all likelihood, the young arm goes down to AAA for the time being.

If you decide to get BB up soon, then you see whats going on with Bass and Simon and then make a decision at that point with one of them...whether it be pen, release, DFA, etc...

Simple and easy IMO.

Get rid of the crappy vets who have done nothing to earn their spot(and not just this ST).

Whether you agree or disagree with Drew, he's entitled to his opinion. I personally think it's commendable that he doesn't hide behind the microphone and call screeners and instead engages in discussion here despite knowledge that his opinion and/or delivery aren't always well-received.

And I think we're entitled to ours, too, no? The monumental narcissism (megalomania?) that compels him to make every discussion about his persecution at the hands of the Orioles (and his martyr-like drive to "speak the truth") is really off-putting.

Further, while he seems to be chock-full of opinions, they don't really add any insight or depth to the coversation - I've never seen him cite a single statistic, link an interesting article, or point to any extrinsic source to back up his ad hoc opinions. Why is that? While none of us can say for sure, by all appearances it's because the only voice he really cares about is his own.

Honestly, facing down criticism here isn't courage when you've got a martyr complex - we're just more fast food forced down the gullet of his already healthy sense of self-worth.

It’s not why SHOULD he be? It’s that it’s feasible and reasonable for us to CONSIDER this. If Andy doesn’t like any of the other 3 feasible choices, this would be a low-cost way to kick the can down the road a bit until he can her figgered out. In fact, this appears to me by far the likeliest choice.

It doesn't seem very likely to me.

It doesn't seem very likely to me.

Yea, there is basically no chance Albers gets sent down.

It looked possible that they would DL him and get him a rehab assignment but I think as the pitchers started dropping like flies and they were pitching him more, that taking it slower with him was no longer a need.

I can see Albers and Sarfate making 5 starts each this year. It's only a matter of time before Eaton is a disaster, Simon comes back to earth, and Hendrickson isn't the answer either. Frankly, I'd be okay with either one of them in the rotation right now.

Scottie, I know that you represent the OH in various situations, including dealing with other media. I understand that it's appropriate for you to take the broad view. Plus it's your nature to be fair and reasonable. If you wanna give him credit for not hiding behind the mic (or whatever), that's fine, but I don't see how that is in any way relevant to the self-serving junk he pulls around here.

I don't see anybody saying he's not entitled to his opinion. I don't know beans about the guy except what he says here. That's 100% of my sample, and from what I can see, the guy tries to make every thread he shows up in about him, him, him. Well, I don't care about him, him, him. This is not the Drew Hangout, it's the Orioles Hangout. If he had any sense of reasonable boundaries about that, I don't think he'd catch even 1% of the crap that he does. He shows up, acts like he's special, climbs up on the cross and acts as if he's getting nailed to it like some kind of Oriole martyr, and then gets testy when people don't buy his act. I don't know the man and never listened to his show, but I know a BS act when I see one, and his routine sure seems to fit the bill. You know as much as anybody does that I'm more than happy to criticize what I perceive as group-think around here. But IMO what happens whenever this guy pops up isn't just that.

Look, JTrea make people nuts too, when he goes down one of his tunnels where he keeps saying crazy ****, but at least JTrea's sincere about his crazy ****. It's not some act to promote himself and act like he's somehow so special. IMO, the same can't be said for this guy. As best I can tell, he's into promoting himself, and everybody else is just a pawn in his game. So, it's not about his opinion, it's about his phony act.

Scottie, I know that you represent the OH in various situations, including dealing with other media. I understand that it's appropriate for you to take the broad view. Plus it's your nature to be fair and reasonable. If you wanna give him credit for not hiding behind the mic (or whatever), that's fine, but I don't see how that is in any way relevant to the self-serving junk he pulls around here.

I don't see anybody saying he's not entitled to his opinion. I don't know beans about the guy except what he says here. That's 100% of my sample, and from what I can see, the guy tries to make every thread he shows up in about him, him, him. Well, I don't care about him, him, him. This is not the Drew Hangout, it's the Orioles Hangout. If he had any sense of reasonable boundaries about that, I don't think he'd catch even 1% of the crap that he does. He shows up, acts like he's special, climbs up on the cross and acts as if he's getting nailed to it like some kind of Oriole martyr, and then gets testy when people don't buy his act. I don't know the man and never listened to his show, but I know a BS act when I see one, and his routine sure seems to fit the bill. You know as much as anybody does that I'm more than happy to criticize what I perceive as group-think around here. But IMO what happens whenever this guy pops up isn't just that.

Look, JTrea make people nuts too, when he goes down one of his tunnels where he keeps saying crazy ****, but at least JTrea's sincere about his crazy ****. It's not some act to promote himself and act like he's somehow so special. IMO, the same can't be said for this guy. As best I can tell, he's into promoting himself, and everybody else is just a pawn in his game. So, it's not about his opinion, it's about his phony act.

Jeez, Shack. If you want to steal my martyr complex accusations, ask first next time. ;)

It's nice that we seem to agree - generally - on B.S. like this.

This......

And I think we're entitled to ours, too, no? The monumental narcissism (megalomania?) that compels him to make every discussion about his persecution at the hands of the Orioles (and his martyr-like drive to "speak the truth") is really off-putting.

Further, while he seems to be chock-full of opinions, they don't really add any insight or depth to the coversation - I've never seen him cite a single statistic, link an interesting article, or point to any extrinsic source to back up his ad hoc opinions. Why is that? While none of us can say for sure, by all appearances it's because the only voice he really cares about is his own.

Honestly, facing down criticism here isn't courage when you've got a martyr complex - we're just more fast food forced down the gullet of his already healthy sense of self-worth.

...and this.

:D

2. While some folks hate the trade and some like it, I'm a bit surprised that none among the latter category express the unbridled joy and enthusiasm that I feel. This is one more piece of evidence that MacPhail is an absolute friggin genius. We turn a guy who clearly was not going to make the 25-man roster, and deservedly so, and who clearly was not gonna pass through waivers, into something not only of SOME value -- but precisely the piece we needed most: a young slick-gloved backup SS who will plug our most glaring current hole and will also have the chance to work with Crow on his weakness. Who knows what his upside will be if Crow can work some magic here? Potential future starting SS for us? Could be. And we got him for, essentially, nothing. Hats off to King Andy!

Maybe...just maybe Andino comes in here, benefits from working with Crowley, and becomes a respectable middle infielder/utility man for the Orioles for the next five or six years.

Maybe...just maybe Hayden Penn goes to Florida, flourishes in new scenery, and is an effective National League starter for the next five or six years.

And everybody (well almost everybody, but that's a tangent, people!) goes home happy.

I don't know that I was working the unbridled joy angle back in post #147 or thereabouts, but I was there, amigo...I was there.

I think I will take a page from Drew's book (Nestorhu Akbar!), however, and insert a line in every post of mine going forward about what a bunch of thieving, piratical whores DirecTV are! :angryfire:

Perhaps "mecentric" tangents are good! :rofl:

Absolutely we're all entitled to our opinions as long as they're within the board rules. I'm not suggesting that ANYONE'S opinions be stifled.

If you don't think he's backing up his position/opinion, then take him to task like you would any other poster. Just keep it within the board rules.

Archived