2024 Prospect Promotion Incentive (#32): Griff O'Ferrall - SS - (Jr) Virginia (VA)

34 minutes ago, Malike said:

image.thumb.png.848f6b13d21f5d54ac34c97b873a95dd.png

That’s a bit more reassuring of a write up / ratings than mlb which had him as 50 field and arm and 55 hit or something. Gotta hope they think they can get at least gap power out of him and that he can be a solid ss defensively. Otherwise I’m not sure how he ever impacts the game in the majors. 

2 minutes ago, 86this said:

You're right.  Utility IF unless he outplays someone else.  Would probably be better than Urias right now.

But that’s the thing.  Is that what you want for this pick when you had power arms sitting there?

Even if Becht ends up a reliever, that’s still more valuable.

Im really not trying to pick on the player here, even though it sounds like it. In a vacuum, he has Some intriguing tools and I actually feel like we have gotten away from BA too much.

But it’s a lower ceiling college player who was 21 the whole college season (as opposed to Honeycutt turning 21 at the end of it)

We have discussed this on the board recently..the idea that this college hitter profile with lower ceilings just aren’t panning out.

Like I said, you can’t get a similar profile to this guy later in the draft?  I just find that hard to believe but maybe the hit tool in terms of contact rate, etc…is that elite. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Trying to like this but I'm struggling, especially with a huge need for pitching in the org.  I didn't like the Westburg pick so here's hoping Elias found another good one.  The bat-to-ball skill could be good on a team that hacks at everything. 

Clearly, this is a signal that Mike is trading Holliday.  ;) 

At least westburg had power potential to dream on, even if they knew he’d have to move off short. I’m with you though. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But that’s the thing.  Is that what you want for this pick when you had power arms sitting there?

Even if Becht ends up a reliever, that’s still more valuable.

Im really not trying to pick on the player here, even though it sounds like it. In a vacuum, he has Some intriguing tools and I actually feel like we have gotten away from BA too much.

But it’s a lower ceiling college player who was 21 the whole college season (as opposed to Honeycutt turning 21 at the end of it)

We have discussed this on the board recently..the idea that this college hitter profile with lower ceilings just aren’t panning out.

Like I said, you can’t get a similar profile to this guy later in the draft?  I just find that hard to believe but maybe the hit tool in terms of contact rate, etc…is that elite. 

Yea is there really a shortage of utility infielders out there?  These guys are always on the waiver wires.  

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You don’t draft for need but a mature college SS who should, in theory, move quickly seems like an odd pick for a team loaded in the IF.

Loaded in infield but not necessarily SS. 

I'm hoping for Ortiz. He wasn't a power guy either. Not crazy about it but don't hate it.

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I spent a good part of 2023 fantasizing about the potential of an extra pick of Gunner won ROY. Boy that was wasted energy!

Yeah, all the endless conversations about when players come up, service time manipulation, extra/ROY picks, and everything else... aaaaaand they pick a util IF.  Totally fine with the pick going to Mil in the Burnes deal.  

Reading the profile @Malikeposted (still don’t know where it came from), I’m a little more sanguine than when I first heard the pick discussed on MLB Network.  Offensively, O’Ferrall actually sounds a lot like Connor Norby was when we drafted him (he was a feel for the barrel, line drive guy), but he’s a way better fielder than Norby.   I know I made the Grenier comp early in this thread, but I trust the current regime to draft guys who can turn into much better hitters than Grenier.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Reading the profile @Malikeposted (still don’t know where it came from), I’m a little more sanguine than when I first heard the pick discussed on MLB Network.  Offensively, O’Ferrall actually sounds a lot like Connor Norby was when we drafted him (he was a feel for the barrel, line drive guy), but he’s a way better fielder than Norby.   I know I made the Grenier comp early in this thread, but I trust the current regime to draft guys who can turn into much better hitters than Grenier.  

That was from Jared Perkins.

• Thanks 1

He was 32 in Keith Law's list.

O’Ferrall might have ended up in the first round if he’d stuck with his swing and approach from 2023, when he hit .396/.453/.495 for the Hoos while playing strong defense at short. Instead, he tried to get all launch angle-happy and pull the ball for more power, instead of using the whole field, losing 86 points off his OBP for the sake of four extra home runs (in a year when homers are up all over the place). The swing is very forced, like he’s trying to catch the ball and lift it out to his pull side, when he’s already shown strong contact skills and has enough strength to hit for average in pro ball with plenty of doubles. He can still play above-average defense and at least continued to make contact at a high rate, striking out just 7.4 percent of the time this spring, so there’s at least some floor here for a team that takes him and tries to restore his old swing.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1