Perfect Example Of Tejada Losing a Game!

Eli Eon

An error that resulted in 5 runs scoring after what would have been the inning ending outs! That is more than an error, that is a back breaking, game losing blunder of the utmost magnitude when you consider what resulted from it!:eek:

And if he made a 5-run error every game, I'd be all over him too.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Walker wouldn't even have been in that inning if Tejada makes a DP that most high school SS's turn easily!
Tejada turns that double play easily just as often as any other SS in the majors. He made an error, it happens. Get over your ridiculous obsession.

And also, it is utterly ridiculous to blame Tejada for the 5 runs scoring.

Blame Tejada for not making the play is fine, but it was undoubtedly the crappy pitching that led to the 5 runs, not one botched groundball.

I havent read through this entire thread and I don't plan to because I'm sure its more of the same insanity, but the bottom line is it was bad pitching, and not a Tejada error, that led to the huge inning. Anyone saying otherwise is selling something.

And also, it is utterly ridiculous to blame Tejada for the 5 runs scoring.

Blame Tejada for not making the play is fine, but it was undoubtedly the crappy pitching that led to the 5 runs, not one botched groundball.

I havent read through this entire thread and I don't plan to because I'm sure its more of the same insanity, but the bottom line is it was bad pitching, and not a Tejada error, that led to the huge inning. Anyone saying otherwise is selling something.

DCab not being able to field his position didn't help either.

Last night's error illustrated the problem with having a mediocre fielder at SS compared to having an outstanding fielder like Hernandez. Tejada has to be a great power hitter to make up for his fielding and speed and become a net positive. The error combined with the grand slam in one game shows dramatically how difficult it is to have enough power to overcome poor fielding.

The irrelevant arguments about how we lost the game because of more than one factor, in this case primarily poor relief pitching, only show that the team has more than one problem. Some errors turn out to have little or no effect, other errors have a big effect. If the O's had won the game, an objective assessment of Tejada's performance would be unchanged.

Tejada's speed also is a problem. I don't recall the exact game, but recently Tejada hit into a DP to make the third out and cost a run.

Of course, the serious point is that lackluster fielding at SS and poor speed over the course of a season can only be compensated by a hitter of Ruthian stats. Even so, why not play your mediocre-fielding Ruthian player at some position other than shortstop where his fielding does the maximum amount of damage.

Of course, the serious point is that lackluster fielding at SS and poor speed over the course of a season can only be compensated by a hitter of Ruthian stats.
I really hope this is hyperbole. Otherwise I'm utterly speechless.

Baseball... a game of inches... or is that football?:002_sbiggrin:

It is interesting how often the Orioles get punsihed for little mistakes... I didn't watch the entire game last night as after DCab gave up the go ahead run, I lost interest.... but it sounds like if Tejada had made the play, the outcome could/would have been a lot different... as with Walker couple nights night before coming in with 2 outs Orioles up and hangs a pitch that gets clobbered out of the park... the Mariners didn't look back after that... so that's at least 2 of the 3 games where the O's not making one play was where the game turned. I was hoping for a Sweep of the Mariners to at least have some misguided hope of a Wildcard shot.. but after being swept, the season is over, now it's time to start looking at our pieces for next year.

Alright. I could see the merit of DHing Tejada and playing Hernandez every day if we were in contention, were strictly limited to what we have on the Major League roster right now (no MiL moves, trades, etc. to improve what we have to put out on the field). Maybe.

But, moving Tejada to LF or 3B or DH this season would be pointless. I know you say "the other teams see the errors that Tejada makes; they already know he can't field SS anymore," but even if he were a sub-par SS (which I'm not conceding) you still have to show that you trust Tejada playing there. He still has more value in a trade as a shortstop than he would as a DH. We're not going anywhere this season, so there's no point in lowering Tejada's trade value.

Do I think it would be a good idea to DH Tejada once a week? I'd be fine with that. I think he can use a regular day off from playing the field. I just see no reason to full-time DH him or otherwise move him out of position. You can say you would win more games. But even if you could, those few games aren't going to make any difference this year. No incoming FA is going to say "you know what? I wasn't going to go there, but I saw they DH'd Tejada to play Luis Hernandez at SS, so I think I'll sign with them now."

Also, DHing or moving Tejada means you're taking a bat away from Gibbons or Huff or whomever. Now, I know these guys have been painfuly bad this year, but is Luis Hernandez going to go on a tear like Huff has in the past few games?

I don't know. I don't think Tejada is a below average fielding shortstop overall. I think that overall, Tejada's bat + Tejada's defense + the potential upside of Huff/Gibbons/whomever at bat > Tejada's bat + Hernandez's defense + Hernandez's potential offensive contribution. I just don't think that it makes any kind of sense to play Hernandez at SS over Tejada with the team this season. Even if it would win us a few more games this year, I think it would do more harm than good (re: Tejada's trade value).

Look guys - it was a critical situation - HE CHOKED - it led to a bunch of "unearned" earned runs scored. What other team that we played this year had their SS botch a play that led to us piling on runs? It does happen and with Tejada all to often at inopportune times.

Take the blinders off and stop piling on.

Don't worry, Charlie let them "bring it on." The can "pile" on all they want. I have already lost 8 points in reputation ratings. However, if I am so wrong about stating the obvious (that Tejada botched a routine, tailor made DP ball, that led to 5 runs scoring that would not have had he made the play, how come the Baltimore Sun main article states virtually the same synopsis? I guess the sports writer is an idiot as well because Tejada's "stats" say he is a good fielder! Laughable really when you think about it.

Of course I predicted that my assertion that Tejada should be removed from the position before he return would stand as correct. Now that it is coming true, some folks are getting even more irate at me for being correct all along. I am not surprised at all, because it is human nature for folks to refuse to admit they could be wrong, especially when they are in the majority on a view. (Again, no surprise here whatsover.

What I find especially satisfying that the Sun is actually mirroring my take that the botched, horribly misplayed grounder by Tejada that easily should have turned two and ended the inning with no runs scored wiped out his offense. That again, was and is, my take exactly. The media apparently agrees with me. I serioiusly doubt that the Sun will get flooded with angry Hangouters or anyone else disputing this take either!:eek::P

Archived