Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

5 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I'd argue moreso that would be Markakis. The holes in RF and LF killed us along with mediocre starting pitching in 2015 and 2016. That being said, living in the now where we're in a better spot than the 2014 team, I think Detroit could be looking for a more balanced return. Norby, Stowers, Horvath and Basallo could probably bring back Skubal. 

They did a poor job at replacing him but he wasn't exactly tearing it up in Atlanta from 2015-2017.  Really 2018 was the only quality season he had after he left Baltimore.

9 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

You give me Efflin, Scherzer or similar type number 3 ours matches up against anyone but the Mariners.  But again they have to score to beat you.  They can’t do that which is why GRod has went 12 innings 0er, Burnes 12 innings 2 runs and Kremer 5 innings 0 er.  That is 29 innings and 2 earned runs this season.  I don’t worry much about the Mariners because they can’t score they are 28th in runs per game they are 28th in ops and dead last in average.  Maybe they get hit in a series and beat you but you match the, up we are better because their offense is that bad.   
The Astros are good with Valdez, Verlander, and Blanco but Verlander is getting up there and Blanco is a 30 year old journeyman at 109 innings and has went over 125 innings 1 time.  So they have questions about how many innings he can go.  Which is a similar question with Skubal how much more can he go.  He is approaching his career high and if we make a solid run he would need to pitch 200+ innings so about 60 more then his career.  Then you have to think how many clutch innings has he thrown.  He has never thrown this many innings, never been in a pennant race, never pitched in playoffs either.  That is an entirely different atmosphere for any pitcher.  I would rather get someone that has some experience in that atmosphere.  Scherzer, Bassit and Efflin have done that with pitching in pennant races and in started in the playoffs.  

1) The Phillies rotation is still WAY BETTER even with the addition of those 3.

2) Tarik Skubal is WAY BETTER than any of those 3. He’s left handed, has pin point control and throws 97/98. Which of those 3 that you mentioned have that kind of ability?

3) What does the addition of any of those 3 do for us next year? What is your plan for a rotation that can compete for a World Series next season?

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Page 18 of a thread on a player who has an 85% chance of not being traded. 

Hope I’m  wrong, but I think we’d be better served talking about the players we that are actually available.

1 minute ago, casadeozo said:

Hope I’m  wrong, but I think we’d be better served talking about the players we that are actually available.

The thing is we can’t go to any official list, site to find out who is actually available. 

Unless you know of one?

3 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

You think the Royals are going to be sellers?  Could use a clutch hitter like Adam Frazier.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The thing is we can’t go to any official list, site to find out who is actually available. 

Unless you know of one?

We’ve gone down this route before. It’s a trade rumor so there would never be a list.

that said MLBTR just put out a top 50 trade candidates list. Check it out 

17 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

We’ve gone down this route before. It’s a trade rumor so there would never be a list.

that said MLBTR just put out a top 50 trade candidates list. Check it out 

Is that list official? Or rumor/speculation too?

38 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

1) The Phillies rotation is still WAY BETTER even with the addition of those 3.

2) Tarik Skubal is WAY BETTER than any of those 3. He’s left handed, has pin point control and throws 97/98. Which of those 3 that you mentioned have that kind of ability?

3) What does the addition of any of those 3 do for us next year? What is your plan for a rotation that can compete for a World Series next season?

-Maybe their rotation as a whole, but Burnes, G-Rod and an upgraded 3 matches up very well with their quality. 

-I don't think anyone would argue that Skubal isn't way better. It's a question of what can the top flight prospects that are retained do to ALSO improve the team. Maybe ME thinks improving our RH hitting + one of the infield positions from within AND adding a solid 3rd starter is the move.

-Bassitt and Eflin are both under contract for next year, fwiw

I like Holliday and think he’ll be a good player, at worst but I’d trade him for Skubal. We really need pitching and we don’t have a lot of promising prospects in that area. I doubt Tigers will be willing to deal him though. 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Have you seen the thread with 2,900 replies (197 pages)? The 2024 Trade Deadline :P

There is plenty of non-Skubal discussion.

Edited by Greg Pappas