Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

31 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I haven't read all 25 pages (just the last 5-6), but I'm a little surprised I don't see us taking Javier Baez and part of his contract back in these theoretical deals. 

This seems like a good opportunity to use money to get more favorable terms in a trade. Maybe we have an owner that would actually do that? I don't know.

Lookup, I suspect the reasons we ( fans & media) don’t know is because Elias does not talk about his discussions with other teams . Which may be a good strategy, not showing your plans to your competitors . 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Can say the same about literally any starting pitcher whether they've had TJS or not, including Grayson.

Pretty much.

The dilemma is that all pitchers carry injury risk. But you need enough good ones to survive in October when their talents are distinguished and make a difference.

We can trade for Skubal and he can get hurt. We can trade for Crochet and he can get hurt. We can trade for Fedde and he can get hurt. We can trade for Eflin and he can get hurt. Burnes can get hurt. Grayson can get hurt. Kremer can get hurt. Other teams pitchers can get hurt. 

There are no guarantees.

If we can do the deal with just one of Holliday/Basallo/Mayo and no Kjerstad (and none of our established young MLers), I think it's worth exploring. If The Tigers want something more than that they can pound sand. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Wonder if Westburg has really increased his value and if he makes a lot of sense to lead a deal?

I’ve thought about that but he’s a terrific 3B, and Mayo is not. If Westy goes, Urias stays, or we promote Mayo and suffer a big drop in 3B defense.

For me, Westy is a total keeper.

Just now, interloper said:

What about this comment is confusing to you @Sports Guy? Genuinely curious. 

Did you actually read what the guy said?  He said all these guys are injury issues.  You then said, you could say the same thing about GRod and Burnes…but yet he did say that. Just an odd comment imo.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't trade Westburg straight up for Skubal. Westburg this year already, is on pace to be almost a 5 WAR player at 2B/3B. I'm not giving up 4 1/2 seasons of that for 2 1/2 of a pitcher who thus far has topped out at 149 innings. I may be alone there, IDK. But that's my thought. With Holliday, it's still an unproven commodity even if the upside is enormous. That actually makes sense for both teams. 

1 minute ago, G54377 said:

I'll be honest, I wouldn't trade Westburg straight up for Skubal. Westburg this year already, is on pace to be almost a 5 WAR player at 2B/3B. I'm not giving up 4 1/2 seasons of that for 2 1/2 of a pitcher who thus far has topped out at 149 innings. I may be alone there, IDK. But that's my thought. With Holliday, it's still an unproven commodity even if the upside is enormous. That actually makes sense for both teams. 

It has been half a season for Westburg. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Did you actually read what the guy said?  He said all these guys are injury issues.  You then said, you could say the same thing about GRod and Burnes…but yet he did say that. Just an odd comment imo.

I read the tweet which is what you posted, which referenced Skubal specifically, as if he's somehow more at risk to TJS than anyone else. It reads as if he's arguing against trying to trade for him. But if that's his concern, it's the same concern for any pitcher, not just Skubal. 

So I'm not sure what his overall point is. The risk is the risk. It's universal. 

Edited by interloper