Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

Just now, interloper said:

I read the tweet which is what you posted, which referenced Skubal specifically, as if he's somehow more at risk to TJS than anyone else. It reads as if he's arguing against trying to trade for him. But if that's his concern, it's the same concern for any pitcher, not just Skubal. 

Of course he’s more of a risk. Certain guys carry more risk than others.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

What about this comment is confusing to you @Sports Guy? Genuinely curious. 

While he does get easily confused SG has this thing where he uses reactions to cast doubt on posts that he lacks evidence to actually critique.

Sometimes he's confused, sometimes he laughs.

He'll probably bust out the down arrow for this one.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Haha 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

While he does get easily confused SG has this thing where he uses reactions to cast doubt on posts that he lacks evidence to actually critique.

Sometimes he's confused, sometimes he laughs.

Thanks troll. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It has been half a season for Westburg. 

He's looked the part every step of the way. I'd be very surprised if he's not at least a borderline all star level player (3-4+ WAR) for the 4 1/2 seasons. That to me is the floor, with likely higher upside or individual seasons ontop of that. Taking that away from our team makes no sense, for the risk of A. a pitcher with B. no 200+ inning seasons in his past and C. half the team control.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Previous Tj surgery…flexor tendon surgery. Across the body mechanics. High velo. 

I guess. To me the risk is near universal for any pitcher, so the quote comes off kind of silly. "The O's shouldn't trade for Skubal because he's slightly more at risk to not pitch 60 games over the next two years" is what he's saying. That's every pitcher over the next two years. 

I'm fine with not trading for him, but the reasoning can be applied to every pitcher on the market. 

Edited by interloper

2 minutes ago, G54377 said:

He's looked the part every step of the way. I'd be very surprised if he's not at least a borderline all star level player (3-4+ WAR) for the 4 1/2 seasons. That to me is the floor, with likely higher upside or individual seasons ontop of that. Taking that away from our team makes no sense, for the risk of A. a pitcher with B. no 200+ inning seasons in his past and C. half the team control.

Sorry but saying his FLOOR is a 3-4 WAR guy is over the top. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I guess. To me the risk is near universal for any pitcher, so the quote comes off kind of silly. "The O's shouldn't trade for Skubal because he's slightly more at risk to not pitch 60 games over the next two years" is what he's saying. That's every pitcher over the next two years. 

I'm fine with not trading for him, but the reasoning can be applied to every pitcher on the market. 

But every pitcher on the market doesn’t require this type of return.

Does this really need to be explained to you?  

Just now, interloper said:

I guess. To me the risk is near universal for any pitcher, so the quote comes off kind of silly. "The O's shouldn't trade for Skubal because he's slightly more at risk to not pitch 60 games over the next two years" is what he's saying. That's every pitcher ever. 

Obviously, all pitchers are risky but you like your chances of getting 30 starts a year from guys like Cease and Burnes who have a track record of durability.   

1 minute ago, G54377 said:

I don't see how you can be a fan of a league that has a Julio Rodriguez and a Corbin Carroll and say his floor is 3-4 WAR a season over the next four and half years.  Lots of really talented players, guys that win MVP awards, have 2 win seasons. 

5 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I agree with the sentiment. Leads me to believe that a deal will not get done. 

Apparently there is a rumor for a lesser package…much less from the Dodgers for taking Baez and his contract.

Id be surprised if it has any grip. Detroit doesn’t need to do that.