Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Oh I’m not desperate. And I know what it means.  You are perfect for that. It suits everything about you.

Karen is a slang term typically used to refer to a middle-class white American woman who is perceived as entitled or excessively demanding.

Someone is a wee bit confused.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So?  That doesn’t mean certain guys don’t carry more risk.

The opposite can be true too. You can be a guy who gets hurt a lot and then you become durable.  Santander is an example of that.

So then Skubal can become more durable? Haha. 

I think if Elias is looking for upper-echelon SPs who could replace Burnes next year, those guys are hard to find, and Skubal is a logical fit. Otherwise I'm not sure he has many great options in free agency or trade. All would carry a ton of risk because you're relying on them to be a #1. Grayson certainly isn't a #1.

So, I get that there's risk, but in terms of next year and beyond, which is what the tweet is referencing, the added risk in Skubal feels negligible to me when you consider aces are extremely rare. 

Edited by interloper

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The Rangers didn’t have any premium starting pitching last year.

And btw, DL Hall has 16 IP this year because of an injury.  Saying he has been awful because they tried him as a starter is an absurd comment to make.

Opinions are like ….well you know.

So they had Scherzer on a 3 year $130 million contract. Eovaldi was under contract at $17 million per and a sub 3.00 ERA and 2.5 WAR. 

so your wrong …but I’m not arguing with you.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm just saying if the valued that why didn't he move the guys he currently had that didn't present that trait?  (for fair value of course)

Because SPs are very limited in the game and sometimes you just roll with who you have. And then try to factor in more durability where you can. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think folks like to reduce things to a level of simplicity that isn't manifested in reality.

I'm sure every GM would prefer guys that are durable.

So, are you saying I'm not manifested in reality...or did you mean someone else?  Do you think there would have been a reasonable market for either of those guys this past offseason?

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So they had Scherzer on a 3 year $130 million contract. Eovaldi was under contract at $17 million per and a sub 3.00 ERA and 2.5 WAR. 

They traded for Scherzer who had that contract but it wasn’t given to him and he didn’t pitch at all like a premium pitcher.

Eovali isn’t a premium guy.  Zero people describe him that way. He certainly pitched at a high level but that’s different than saying he is one.

3 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

So, are you saying I'm not manifested in reality...or did you mean someone else?  Do you think there would have been a reasonable market for either of those guys this past offseason?

I'm saying the idea that Elias will only target X or only do Y is overly simplistic.

If a guy has a durability flag but checks all the other boxes Elias might just go with him.

Edited by Can_of_corn

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

They traded for Scherzer who had that contract but it wasn’t given to him and he didn’t pitch at all like a premium pitcher.

Eovali isn’t a premium guy.  Zero people describe him that way. He certainly pitched at a high level but that’s different than saying he is one.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm saying the idea that Elias will only target X or only do Y isn't overly simplistic.

If a guy has a durability flag but checks all the other boxes Elias might just go with him.

Gotcha.   That makes sense.  Yeah...I guess it all depends on "what's it gonna cost me?".

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he places value on that why didn't he flip guys like Means and Wells who were never considered reliable?

I don’t know.   Does that mean he doesn’t place value on durability?   It seems like most, if not all, of the pitchers he’s signed or traded for had that type of track record.

Seems like the same type of argument you make when you say if defense is important why do they play O’Hearn in the OF a handful of times.

Edited by RZNJ

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

There’s a difference between premium price tag and premium performance. Performance is obviously the only one that matters in this discussion.

• Like 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

I don’t know.   Does that mean he doesn’t place value on durability?   It seems like most, if not all, of the pitchers he’s signed or traded for had that type of track record.

Everyone places value on durability.

Just like everyone loves defense and somehow O'Hearn still ends up in the outfield.

• Haha 1