Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not saying it's not a valid way to go, but are you saying that you are ok with not acquiring an impact arm at the trading deadline? You are fine with rolling what they got? 

Well I personally feel the bullpen is more important than the rotation in the playoffs.

That said, we need a third guy and I would acquire one, like Fedde or Eovaldi(if they sell) but I wouldn’t be trading our top chips for what’s available.

I would trade off 2-3 vets, bring up the kids, make the pen much stronger, solidify the rotation and, as a bonus, I would look at a Detmers or Luzardo type guy..someone who may be a question mark this year but gives us some upside and is a longer term piece…and a RH hitting CFer in all likelihood although that’s not as big a need as the others.

I don’t think Holliday is on the table.   I think Mayo is the guy that would get traded if we go for  Skubal.  Holliday can impact the game in so  many ways and has defensive versatility.  He’s OPSing .019 lower than Mayo at 2 years younger, he’s a threat on the bases, gives you plus defense and lineup versatility.  Basallo being an up the middle guy with with star power potential is the other or the big 3 I don’t see them moving.  Mayo is a flat out stud at the plate and I’d hate to lose him, but he’d be on the table for me since he is only a difference maker at the plate.  

Edited by emmett16

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm confused. In earlier posts you said it's a waste of resources acquiring anyone who wouldn't be a playoff difference maker, no?

What I have said is that I don’t want to acquire someone you don’t want playing in October.  Clear upgrades over what we have.

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I don’t think Holliday is on the table.   I think Mayo is the guy that would get traded if we go for  Skubal.  Holliday can impact the game online so  many ways and has defensive versatility.  He’s OPSing .019 lower than Mayo at 2 years younger, he’s a threat on the bases, gives you plus defense and lineup versatility.  Basallo being an up the middle guy with with star power potential is the other or the big 3 I don’t see them moving.  Mayo is a flat out stud at the plate and I’d hate to lose him, but he’d be on the table for me since he is only a difference maker at the plate.  

I think Basallo is the one who would go. Hes furthest way and isn’t exactly tearing up AA right now. I don’t want to trade him but I think if they are given the choice, he’s the one who goes.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think Basallo is the one who would go. Hes furthest way and isn’t exactly tearing up AA right now. I don’t want to trade him but I think if they are given the choice, he’s the one who goes.

Thats good reasoning.  I just think this FO values guys up the middle.  Basallo would be my #2 but man, I really really think he’s going to be special.   I think his ceiling is the highest, especially if he sticks at C.  

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

This is narrow thinking. With the current roster construction both JH and HK are less of a priority than a TOR starter. Does Skubal come with some concern? Of course, every pitcher is one throw away from catastrophy but the O's are in a legitimate World Series window and this year could very well be their best chance with Burnes anchoring the staff. Add Skubal to a three-headed playoff rotation with GrayRod and Burnes and they likely have the best starting options of any playoff team this year.

HK is a fine prospect. He was a top 40 guy coming into this year but the truth is, he's had moments with this 24' team but he's not moved the needle. Could he? Sure. As much as a legit TOR starter could? No.

Everyone wants to focus on "you're judging JH off of 34 ABs bla bla bla".. no I'm not. I've been extremely vocal about my feelings on him as a player and believe that he can be a legitimate star in the league but he's not going to move Gunnar off of SS and as much as people want to attach themselves to his OAA this year in limited games (which, I refuse to buy into) his defensive profile is below that of JW and several other prospects in their system. That is a fact.

I'll post it again..it may come down to between JH and Mayo and who they feel they can most afford to move. To me, it's JH. I've seen them both play a considerable amount and while everyone glosses over Mayo's size and assume that he can't play a ML 3B, cite some of this throwing errors, he is actually extremely mobile and athletic, not just for a kid 6'5. The question with him at Third is the same question evaluators had about Gunnar at SS - can he improve his consistency? I think that he can and I think that Jordan Westburg profiles better as a 2B for the O's for the next five years than he does as a 3B.

Mayo and Skubal are more valuable to the 2024 Orioles (and 25 and 26 teams) than JH and HK.

I'm not moving JH for anything less than a controllable (this year plus at least two more years) TOR arm. Skubal comes with baggage and I don't even love him as a pitcher. I've stated that numerous times. But I make this deal, especially if a major league reliever is coming back in it. 

That doesn't mean we should allow ourselves to get royally fleeced.

I hate this concept that just because we have good IFers that somehow that makes Hollliday expendable. I get the idea that you are trading from a strength but elite, high level talents that have MVP upside aren’t “depth”.

There’s a reason the best prospect in baseball rarely gets traded.

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well I personally feel the bullpen is more important than the rotation in the playoffs.

That said, we need a third guy and I would acquire one, like Fedde or Eovaldi(if they sell) but I wouldn’t be trading our top chips for what’s available.

I would trade off 2-3 vets, bring up the kids, make the pen much stronger, solidify the rotation and, as a bonus, I would look at a Detmers or Luzardo type guy..someone who may be a question mark this year but gives us some upside and is a longer term piece…and a RH hitting CFer in all likelihood although that’s not as big a need as the others.

What vets can be traded without disrupting clubhouse chemistry? And are you giving away said veteran players simply to promote unproven younger guys? Literally every prospect that has been promoted in the last two years, starting with Adley, has gone through their own struggles. Some may not love Hays and his .250 average and sub .700 OPS right now but I am not sure that I want Kjerstad in LF, Cowser in CF and Ant in RF in a playoff game at OPACY and I certainly don't want to bring up the kids without enough time left in the season for them to work through what we have to expect is an adjustment period.

I agree with you that if they are not dealt, come August, Mayo or JH (if he is healthy and they think that he can contribute in the field), should replace someone underperforming. Is that Ramon? Jorge, and if so, who replaces his defense and speed?

I'd absolutely take the flyer on Eovaldi if he's being dangled, depending on the Rangers' asking price. I agree with you there. That'd be a solid move that shouldn't cost as much as some of the other starters being thrown around but I also think it would force the O's to pursue stronger bullpen arms.

I don't think ME, Hyde and Co. are going to shake up the clubhouse very much. 

Just now, banks703 said:

What vets can be traded without disrupting clubhouse chemistry? And are you giving away said veteran players simply to promote unproven younger guys? Literally every prospect that has been promoted in the last two years, starting with Adley, has gone through their own struggles. Some may not love Hays and his .250 average and sub .700 OPS right now but I am not sure that I want Kjerstad in LF, Cowser in CF and Ant in RF in a playoff game at OPACY and I certainly don't want to bring up the kids without enough time left in the season for them to work through what we have to expect is an adjustment period.

I agree with you that if they are not dealt, come August, Mayo or JH (if he is healthy and they think that he can contribute in the field), should replace someone underperforming. Is that Ramon? Jorge, and if so, who replaces his defense and speed?

I'd absolutely take the flyer on Eovaldi if he's being dangled, depending on the Rangers' asking price. I agree with you there. That'd be a solid move that shouldn't cost as much as some of the other starters being thrown around but I also think it would force the O's to pursue stronger bullpen arms.

I don't think ME, Hyde and Co. are going to shake up the clubhouse very much. 

Mounty, Mullins and Urias are the guys I would target to trade. Mounty seems close with some of the guys but I don’t think this team’s chemistry would get hurt at all. They are all very close.

42 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

A 70/60/60 power, hit, run tool is not the most expendable to me. He is someone capable of playing middle INF. 

He's capable of playing 2B. He's going to be a great player. He's not the difference between this current team or the next few years of teams winning a World Series or not. Skubel could be. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Mounty, Mullins and Urias are the guys I would target to trade. Mounty seems close with some of the guys but I don’t think this team’s chemistry would get hurt at all. They are all very close.

Who plays First against Lefties if they deal Mountcastle? Who plays CF if Cowser goes into a funk or gets hurt? I agree that it seems that Ramon's days are numbered but I think we're underscoring how close these guys are as a whole. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's capable of playing 2B. He's going to be a great player. He's not the difference between this current team or the next few years of teams winning a World Series or not. Skubel could be. 

perfect-bingo-got-it-4e0twbi6byl4bl45.gi

Just now, banks703 said:

Who plays First against Lefties if they deal Mountcastle? Who plays CF if Cowser goes into a funk or gets hurt? I agree that it seems that Ramon's days are numbered but I think we're underscoring how close these guys are as a whole. 

Mayo is my primary first baseman. 

I would look to acquire a RH CFer, as I said, as well.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Really disagree with this.