Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Mayo is my primary first baseman. 

I would look to acquire a RH CFer, as I said, as well.

Coby Mayo and his 45 career games at 1B in his career. Got it. 

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I hate this concept that just because we have good IFers that somehow that makes Hollliday expendable. I get the idea that you are trading from a strength but elite, high level talents that have MVP upside aren’t “depth”.

There’s a reason the best prospect in baseball rarely gets traded.

You can hate, but its true. You trade from your strength for your weaknesses. Holliday is not the best prospects in baseball anymore and that nomenclature means nothing in reality. 

I know it's tough for some of you to let go of your heart strings and think that it might be in the best interest of the team to let a top prospects be moved, but you move them for young retainable IMPACT players/pitcher when you re ready to compete for a World Series. We have to HOPE Holliday is an impact player. We know Skubel is already. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Really disagree with this.

Aside from the dozen or so games that he's played with the big club, genuinely, how many times have you seen Jackson Holliday play baseball? I don't mean highlights, I mean seeing a game or more than a couple of innings to see what he does between pitches, how he approaches grounders, how he prepares in the box or what his routine is on-deck?

I'm genuinely curious. 

8 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I don't think ME, Hyde and Co. are going to shake up the clubhouse very much. 

I thought the same thing, but Passan came out today and said we're willing to trade Mullins, Mountcastle. Kinda surprising, but ultimately I trust Elias to talk to Hyde, whom I trust to have his pulse on what the team can or can't handle.

2 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Coby Mayo and his 45 career games at 1B in his career. Got it. 

It’s ok.  You have OHearn who can play most of the time at the position while Mayo is leaning. Hell, you could put Santander there if you feel you need to.

Im not worried about the first base defense. Get Mayo up now and by the playoffs, I think he will be fine. 

If it’s true the Os are willing to trade Mounty, Mayo is clearly the guy they would put there…not to mention, he has played more first recently. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You can hate, but its true. You trade from your strength for your weaknesses. Holliday is not the best prospects in baseball anymore and that nomenclature means nothing in reality. 

I know it's tough for some of you to let go of your heart strings and think that it might be in the best interest of the team to let a top prospects be moved, but you move them for young retainable IMPACT players/pitcher when you re ready to compete for a World Series. We have to HOPE Holliday is an impact player. We know Skubel is already. 

Holliday is the best prospect by many.  Some of that has to do with prospect fatigue and guys just wanting to give a different name.

And this whole depth thing applies to Mayo too…who may just be a first baseman, which limits his overall value.

2 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Aside from the dozen or so games that he's played with the big club, genuinely, how many times have you seen Jackson Holliday play baseball? I don't mean highlights, I mean seeing a game or more than a couple of innings to see what he does between pitches, how he approaches grounders, how he prepares in the box or what his routine is on-deck?

I'm genuinely curious. 

None.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This same logic can be applied to Mayo or Basallo.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s ok.  You have OHearn who can play most of the time at the position while Mayo is leaning. Hell, you could put Santander there if you feel you need to.

Im not worried about the first base defense. Get Mayo up now and by the playoffs, I think he will be fine. 

If it’s true the Os are willing to trade Mounty, Mayo is clearly the guy they would put there…not to mention, he has played more first recently. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

SG, this you?

36 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I don’t think Holliday is on the table.   I think Mayo is the guy that would get traded if we go for  Skubal.  Holliday can impact the game in so  many ways and has defensive versatility.  He’s OPSing .019 lower than Mayo at 2 years younger, he’s a threat on the bases, gives you plus defense and lineup versatility.  Basallo being an up the middle guy with with star power potential is the other or the big 3 I don’t see them moving.  Mayo is a flat out stud at the plate and I’d hate to lose him, but he’d be on the table for me since he is only a difference maker at the plate.  

Holliday does NOT give you plus defense.  He is below average right now.  

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Really disagree with this.

Ok, fair, but tell me why. 

So you are telling me a team with Mayo at 3B, Westburg at 2B and Skubel as part of a rotation this year, next year, and the year after does not give the team better chance than Westburg at 3B, Holliday at 2B, and Kremer or Suarez on the mound for game 3? 

I'm sorry, I like me some Holliday, but the Orioles have internal assets that can make up for Holliday while they have no one to make up for Skubel unless they plan to make significant trades and sign an impact starter this offseason, which of course will be too late for this year. 

Now, in the same vain, would I trade Basallo instead of Holliday in a trade for Skubel. Yes, yes I would for the same reasons. Mayo is the one that gives me pause, but I could not say I would either I guess. 

Skubel makes this organization better and gives them a better chance to win the World Series over the next three years. More of a chance than the Big-3, even if none of us want to see any of them go.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bemorewins said:

This same logic can be applied to Mayo or Basallo.

This is true. But the difference between JH and those two is that the O's have a glutany of middle infielders, specifically two established All-Stars who are going to be with the club for another five seasons and JH is not a better defender than either of them. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Ok, fair, but tell me why. 

So you are telling me a team with Mayo at 3B, Westburg at 2B and Skubel as part of a rotation this year, next year, and the year after does not give the team better chance than Westburg at 3B, Holliday at 2B, and Kremer or Suarez on the mound for game 3? 

I'm sorry, I like me some Holliday, but the Orioles have internal assets that can make up for Holliday while they have no one to make up for Skubel unless they plan to make significant trades and sign an impact starter this offseason, which of course will be too late for this year. 

Now, in the same vain, would I trade Basallo instead of Holliday in a trade for Skubel. Yes, yes I would for the same reasons. Mayo is the one that gives me pause, but I could not say I would either I guess. 

Skubel makes this organization better and gives them a better chance to win the World Series over the next three years. More of a chance than the Big-3, even if none of us want to see any of them go.

What you are arguing is in fact the best for the Orioles today and two years from now. Holliday, Mayo, Basallo, Kjerstad, Hell, even Cowser to some degree, all of to prove themselves in the MLB whereas Skubal (who again, I don't even love as the focus around trading their top guys) is a proven asset who improves the club for the next 30ish months.

Top Prospect Blinders is a Hangout epidemic.