Ortiz segment

Big Al

That was actually the one special segment I did kind of enjoy, Ortiz is good at that stuff and had some fun comments/interactions. It was light years better than the several times the announcers talked to players on the field (especially the Skubal one where he clearly wanted no part of it).

Don't get me wrong, I do not like how they force this garbage into the broadcast. But the Ortiz segment was the least offensive to me.

Edited by Gunnar
spelling

2 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I just thought it was completely unnecessary. Hopefully it won’t be, but this could be Westburg’s only all star at bat and he gets zero recognition. 

Do you think that was the plan?  

• Haha 1

It reminded me of that scene in Caddyshack where Rodney Dangerfield was going from table to table making a little joke about each one at the table.   

I don't think Westberg minded having the attention drawn away from him.  He didn't look very good in that one at bat.  He looked overmatched swinging and missing at high strikes.

Felt like he was the wasted dude at a party dapping it up and clowning around with all of the sober people. Bothered by it? No. But I'm generally annoyed by anything he does now. I liked him for a long time, but not after the roid rage dugout phone massacre. 

1 hour ago, Big Al said:

I just thought it was completely unnecessary. Hopefully it won’t be, but this could be Westburg’s only all star at bat and he gets zero recognition. 

I was watching and was upset I had missed Westburg's at bat (was away for a bit around this time).  Now I-m upset this clown show crap was shown instead.  Thus could be Westburg's only All Star appearance (I hope not) and it was rude to ignore it.

I stopped watching the All Star game years ago. It was more fun when it was closer to being a real baseball game. As the broadcast-related b.s started to take over there were lots of missed at bats, etc. It became more and more like the crappy spring training broadcasts where they spend way too much broadcast time chatting with people in the broadcast booth, interviewing coaches and other players in the dugout, etc., and very little time really paying attention to the game.  Just not fun IMO. 

I love the All-Star Game and the Home Run Derby and all the fanfare. It was my favorite as a kid and it holds a ton of nostalgia for me now. That said, either I'm really becoming an old man or much of what happened this year was far more cringe than in years past...in all likelihood, it's probably both. 

I would much rather there be more focus on the interactions between the players organically. Like Burnes hugging Contreras after the first and things like that than cutting away from the game for Ortiz antics. I'm fine with those antics, but if you want that, do that during a pitching change and don't cut away for commercials or do it a bit here and there coming back or going to breaks.