A Different Way of Thinking About the Trade Deadline

1 minute ago, Greg Pappas said:

@Tony-OH is the go-to person to get a good take on a player's skillset.  Tony, what are your thoughts on Norby at 2B?  Can he be average (or better) at 2B?  If so, that upgrades my view on just how valuable he could be.

I don't think he'll be an average defender at 2B. Is he playable? Maybe. But he'll need to really hit well to make up for his sub par defense. Maybe he can still improve, I don't know, but he's just so inconsistent over there and his range to his right is not good at all. I like him better in the corner outfield positions. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He definitely isn't an elite prospect. But nobody is trading a Holliday or Basallo type for Fedde or Anderson. Norby should have value to a team in need of a bat. I believe he was a fringe top 100 prospect at one point and I don't think he has done anything to lose value.

He’s got older that about it.  He would be playing in the majors at pretty much every other team at this point.  

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Scott is such a logical trade that I'm kind of wondering why it hasn't already happened. 

I'm assuming it's because the Marlins want the best deal possible and want to get as many bidders involved as possible?

30 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I have PTSD . Post Tanner Scott derangement. No to him. And he's only a rental anyway. Pass.

I think he can be useful, not as a closer, but as a setup weapon

Just now, interloper said:

Givens says hi. 😉

It isn't the same thing at all.

In one case you trade a guy for something and then bring him back to no cost beyond the salary.

In the other you trade a guy when his value is low and then trade, with the same team, for him back at what is sure to be a higher price.

You think the Marlins would take Jud Fabian for him?

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It isn't the same thing at all.

In one case you trade a guy for something and then bring him back to no cost beyond the salary.

In the other you trade a guy when his value is low and then trade, with the same team, for him back at what is sure to be a higher price.

You think the Marlins would take Jud Fabian for him?

I mean I know, I was just trying to have my little gotcha moment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe Elias doesn't want to bring back someone he traded away.

I get the same vibe with Harvey. Pure speculation I am guessing there may be clubhouse or coachability issues, otherwise Elias would have kept them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2024 at 4:26 PM, Aristotelian said:

Agreed. Stowers is another guy I think could have way more value to other teams than to us. Norby for a starter and Stowers for a bullpen arm are frameworks for deals we can reasonably expect, IMO.

Bumping this thread. It does appear at least so far that Elias's strategy was indeed to use Norby/Stowers on the sell side. I thought we might get a little more than Rogers but appears money and control are still important, even under the new ownership. The question is, now that Norby and Stowers are gone, what do we have left to offer to get a bullpen arm in the next 3+ hours, if Mayo/Basallo/Holliday/Kjerstad are untouchable?