The Marlins Series, 7/23-7/25

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They are in a rut right now. The crazy double play on bases in the 10th. The ball that hit Burnes leg. 

Not crisp at all. They need to and I think will pick it up. Just hope it doesn’t linger much longer. 

Yeah pretty much everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. Need to tread water until they get out of this rut and get some reinforcements in. They have won every game started by Burnes/Rodriguez since the break which isn’t a coincidence either (those are their only 3 decent starts). Even with the offense struggling for the most part, quality pitching helps. 

Was pissed that I couldn't keep the VPN connection up and running.  Turns out I was glad I missed it.  To @RZNJ's point, it feels like a loss, kinda.

I might watch the replay or the condensed version tomorrow but reading through the game thread and reading here, I already know what I already know...when Kimbrel is off, he's off.  I hope Bautista is able to come back next year, that's for sure.

27 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

As frustrating as that was, we still came back and secured the W in extra innings.  We're a young team that seems to have lost our mojo/confidence.  

3-3 road trip.  Get home and regroup.  

We better hope the Padres magic has peaked today with a no hitter. I fear for another long weekend series particularly if GRod doesn’t do well tomorrow. 

Did anyone notice how many near wild pitches our bullpen almost coughed up?...I counted 4 in the ninth and 10th...not only didmt we make the pitches,we nearly gave them runs . Even Perez nearly threw the ball away before he got the K. This bullpen is brutal.

We won when by all rights we should have lost. Sometimes the opposite happens.

We were fortunate last year with few injuries. This year, not so much. This team was built for this year under a different owner. We can ask why we didn't add more insurance till the cows come home but we have no idea under what constraints Elias built this team for this season. Tis different now but I'm not optimistic all our ills can be corrected at the trade deadline. The starting five isn't pretty three to five and the bull pen is in real need of reinforcing. We  live too much by the home run and lack consistent situational hitting. Yet here we are at the tail end of July still in first place. 

I have litterly no idea how this will all play out. SG says we are in the playoffs. I'll hold on to that as long as I can!

53 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Did anyone notice how many near wild pitches our bullpen almost coughed up?...I counted 4 in the ninth and 10th...not only didmt we make the pitches,we nearly gave them runs . Even Perez nearly threw the ball away before he got the K. This bullpen is brutal.

If the bullpen’s performance today doesn’t alarm Elias , I guess nothing will 

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Was pissed that I couldn't keep the VPN connection up and running.  Turns out I was glad I missed it.  To @RZNJ's point, it feels like a loss, kinda.

I might watch the replay or the condensed version tomorrow but reading through the game thread and reading here, I already know what I already know...when Kimbrel is off, he's off.  I hope Bautista is able to come back next year, that's for sure.

I watched the 9th to see what happened. Seems to me that Kimbrel should have gotten out of that inning. Burger should have been called out on strikes but walked, Gunnar had an out for sure but booted it. Kimbrel wasn't great but he did enough to get out of the inning with a win, I believe.

• Upvote 1

With the earlier opening day, the post All Star break part of the regular season is 10.5 weeks.

1.75 of those weeks are before the trade deadline and 8.75 weeks after.

We just had a 3-3 roadtrip during 1.00 of those 1.75 weeks with probably the weakest roster Hyde will have until it is over.

Tomorrow AJ Preller's team also in need of pitching will start someone in about the 0th percentile of K-BB among light use SP this season.