AL playoff picture

eddie83

Jason Benetti last night put context around some teams not even really having a SP5 at all at this point in the grind.    Quick scan of the AL playoff teams results from their SP who has thrown the 5th most games in the Last 30 Days:

NYY - Marcus Stroman (and Nestor Cortes) have 9.00 ERA's.

CLE - Joey Cantillo was about as bad as Povich - they are now workng Alex Cobb and Matthew Boyd back in.

MIN - they look strongest, though the injury gods here zapped Joe Ryan after the trade deadline and their reported Nestor Cortes interest didn't work out.   Certainly it is now in play Simeon Woods-Richardson throwing great promotes to an ALWC Game 3 candidate if they finish 2nd or 3rd.

KCR - Alec Marsh had about a 6.00 ERA before being unseated by Michael Lorenzen.

HOU - Yusei Kikuchi now leads an Opener by 2 starts to 1, but before the trade deadline they were faking it as both the Justin Verlander and Luis Garcia rehabs are faltering.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Jason Benetti last night put context around some teams not even really having a SP5 at all at this point in the grind.    Quick scan of the AL playoff teams results from their SP who has thrown the 5th most games in the Last 30 Days:

NYY - Marcus Stroman (and Nestor Cortes) have 9.00 ERA's.

CLE - Joey Cantillo was about as bad as Povich - they are now workng Alex Cobb and Matthew Boyd back in.

MIN - they look strongest, though the injury gods here zapped Joe Ryan after the trade deadline and their reported Nestor Cortes interest didn't work out.   Certainly it is now in play Simeon Woods-Richardson throwing great promotes to an ALWC Game 3 candidate if they finish 2nd or 3rd.

KCR - Alec Marsh had about a 6.00 ERA before being unseated by Michael Lorenzen.

HOU - Yusei Kikuchi now leads an Opener by 2 starts to 1, but before the trade deadline they were faking it as both the Justin Verlander and Luis Garcia rehabs are faltering.

He said he thinks MIN is better than CLE.  Have to see how that plays out. 

10 hours ago, SteveA said:

Orioles take over the best record in MLB tonight:

• Orioles 70-48
  • Phillies 69-48
  • Yankees 69-49
  • Guardians 68-49
  • Dodgers 68-49 if they hold their 4-0 7th inning lead; 67-50 otherwise
  • Brewers 67-49

It is quite amazing that for all the hand wringing that has occurred here for the last month or so that this is true.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SteveA said:

Orioles take over the best record in MLB tonight:

• Orioles 70-48
  • Phillies 69-48
  • Yankees 69-49
  • Guardians 68-49
  • Dodgers 68-49 if they hold their 4-0 7th inning lead; 67-50 otherwise
  • Brewers 67-49

I was shocked when I looked at this this morning.  Best team in baseball - right now.  I don't check the standings daily, and for some reason it's been a while since I did. 

I'm pretty certain of a Playoff spot, but I don't like the last two series being the Skanks and the Twins.  We need to get the bullpen straightened out and we'll be fine.

The shocking thing to me is that in July and August the O's are 17-17.   But that is equal to or better than any on the best teams in the MLB.

In July and August:

Yankees   15-16

Cleveland 16-19

Phillies 14-19

Dodgers  16-16

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Please expound on your Ummmmmno

I was actually wondering how difficult it would be to come up with an equation that could objectively evaluate manager decisions, so that managers could be ranked. Something like “decisions above average,” or something like that.

It would only be able to judge on field decisions; no one knows what happens behind the spotlight, so we can’t place blame for terrible fundamentals with any certainty, so that’s a limitation.

But far smarter than I could probably devise something workable: use available stats and percentages(what would normally be done) and what could have been done as the starting point, and then evaluate what was done and the result. It would be immensely complicated, yet if it could be done, we’d have something more concrete to discuss than the eye test.

But by the eye test, Hyde had made countless decisions that didn’t work, indeed, that failed spectacularly, that everyone was screaming at him not to do, that he does anyway, and keeps on doing.

I think front runner for MOY has to be Stephen Vogt in Cleveland or Matt Quartrero in KC.

But not Hyde

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

He said he thinks MIN is better than CLE.  Have to see how that plays out. 

Eno Sarris, on his last podcast, said he liked Minnesota in the central.  He said all stats are pointing to them being strong.  

5 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

But by the eye test, Hyde had made countless decisions that didn’t work, indeed, that failed spectacularly, that everyone was screaming at him not to do, that he does anyway, and keeps on doing.

Yet the Baltimore Orioles have the best record in the AL.  Even though 4 starting pitchers will have spent significant time out for injuries.  Two of which in Bradish and Grod  are two of the best starters in baseball.  How many other managers have made decisions that by your eye test  have “failed spectacularly?”  We don’t watch every move they make on a nightly basis.  The Orioles record is the best way to objectively evaluate the manager and he is doing well.  

2 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

I was actually wondering how difficult it would be to come up with an equation that could objectively evaluate manager decisions, so that managers could be ranked. Something like “decisions above average,” or something like that.

It would only be able to judge on field decisions; no one knows what happens behind the spotlight, so we can’t place blame for terrible fundamentals with any certainty, so that’s a limitation.

But far smarter than I could probably devise something workable: use available stats and percentages(what would normally be done) and what could have been done as the starting point, and then evaluate what was done and the result. It would be immensely complicated, yet if it could be done, we’d have something more concrete to discuss than the eye test.

I think front runner for MOY has to be Stephen Vogt in Cleveland or Matt Quartrero in KC.

But not Hyde

So you say "countless" decisions. Can you expand with examples?

Red Sox had to use Brad Keller as a spot start yesterday when Cooper Criswell hit COVID IL.

Today James Paxton left in the 1st inning with a mid-game injury.

Roster Resource does not have anyone forecast for them tomorrow.

Nick Pivetta has been pushed back from his scheduled turn this week and for now is forecast to return on 10 days rest against us on Thursday.

No off days for Boston before the 4-game OPACY series next weekend.    

Posted (edited)

NYY almost blew it. Had big lead and held on for 8-7 win. Holmes threw over 40 pitches. I’m sure he will be down a couple of days but they get the ChiSox. 
CLE almost blew it. Up 5-3 in 9th Clase loaded based with nobody out. K and double play. TEX looks done. KC plays @ MIN for 3.  

Overall Orioles held serve this week. BOS beat KC 2/3 but then HOU swept them. SEA plays NYM tonight. Edit: SEA won 

AL Playoff Picture

EAST                              GB                 GL
BAL       70-49                - -                 43
NYY      70-49               0.0                 43
BOS      61-55               7.5                    46                   

CENTRAL
CLE         69-49               - -                 44
MINN      65-52              3.5                45
KC           65-53.             4.0                44

WEST
HOU        62-55               - -                  45
SEA          63-56              - -         44
TEX         55-63               7.5                 44

WC
BAL/NYY   70-49 
MINN       65-52
KC.           65-53              
—————————————————
SEA/HOU                         2.5
BOS            61-55             3.0
TB             59-58             5.5               45

SCHEDULES

BAL 

WAS (2) BOS (4)
@NYM (3) HOU (4)
@LAD (3) @COL (3)
———————————-
CWS (3) TB (3)
@BOS (3) @DET (3)
SF (3) DET (3)
@NYY (3) @MIN (3)

NYY 

@CWS (3) @DET (3)
CLE (3) COL (3)
@WAS (3) STL 3
——————————
@TEX (3) @ CHC (3)
KC (3) BOS (4)
@SEA (3) @OAK (3)
BAL (3) PIT (3)

BOS

TEX (3) @BAL (4)
@HOU (3) ARZ (3)
TOR (5) @DET(3)
——————————-
@NYM (3) CWS (3)
BAL (3) @NYY (4)
@TB (3) MINN (3)
@TOR (3) TB (3) 

TB

HOU (3) ARZ (3)
@OAK (4) @LAD (3)
@SEA (3) @SD (3)
———————————
MIN (4) @BAL (3)
@PHI (3) @CLE (4)
BOS (3) TOR (3)
@DET (3) @BOS (3)

——————————————————————
CLE

CHC (3) @MIL (3)
@NYY (3) TEX (3)
KC(4) PIT (3)
———————————
@KC (3) @LAD (3)
@CWS (3) TB (4)
MINN (4) @STL (3)
CIN (2) HOU (3) 

MINN

KC (3) @TEX (4)
@SD (3) STL (3)
ATL (3) TOR (3)
———————————
@TB (4) @KC (3)
LAA (3) CIN (3)
@CLE (4) @BOS (3)
MIA (3) BAL (3) 

KC

@MIN (3) @CIN (3)
LAA (3) PHI (3)
@CLE (4) @HOU (4)
———————————-
CLE (3) MIN (3)
@NYY (3) @PIT (3)
DET (3) SF (3)
@WAS (3) @ATL (3) 

————————————————————

SEA

@DET (3) @PIT (3)
@LAD (3) SF (3)
TB (3) @LAA (3)
——————————-
@OAK (4) @STL (3)
SD (2) TEX (4)
NYY (3) @TEX (3)
@HOU (3) OAK (3) 

HOU

@TB (3) CWS (3) 
BOS (3) @BAL (4)
@PHI (3) KC (4)
——————————-
@CIN (3) ARZ(3)
OAK (3) @LAA (3)
SD (3) LAA (4)
SEA (3) @CLE (3)

TEX 

@BOS (3) MIN (4) 
PIT (3) @CLE (3) 
@CWS (3) OAK (3)
———————————-
NYY (3) LAA (4)
@ARZ (3) @SEA (3)
TOR (3) SEA (3)
@OAK (3) @LAA (3) 

Edited by eddie83
  • Thanks 1

The pre-season over/under for this team’s win total was 87.5. Just to illustrate how dumb it was to pick under on that, this team is still on pace to blow past that despite the starting staff being decimated with injuries the entire year. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

The shocking thing to me is that in July and August the O's are 17-17.   But that is equal to or better than any on the best teams in the MLB.

In July and August:

Yankees   15-16

Cleveland 16-19

Phillies 14-19

Dodgers  16-16

Eventually, a couple of these teams will resume playing well.  Will we?