AL playoff picture

eddie83

10 hours ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

Talk about backing into the playoffs. I have a feeling we will “clinch” a spot based on someone else losing

It could even happen on our off day tomorrow, depending on how things go with the O's and Mariners games today. Mariners are playing in Houston tomorrow night.

Looks like AL East and AL West have same deal with 7 to play - 5 game leads and the chaser has three at the first place team.

Royals now having lost 6 in a row - the 5/6/7 is fuzzy.

Tuesday night will only be some fun if the O's pick up a game today - 1 back with a sweep going to the final weekend an opportunity, 2 back with a sweep going to the final weekend a mirage.     The Orioles have played the showdown generally into Grapefruit League mode, but at least yesterday was not a playoff game.

NYY in great shape for 1 seed, won regular season series 4-2 over CLE, so effectively 3 up in the loss column.    CLE one of the few clubs with two off days in the final week, and a likely bye to rest that hard worked cadre of relievers.    That said, the Astros do play the Guardians the final weekend, and could be within striking distance of that valuable seeding into the ALDS round.

Detroit is the one team I really don't want to face in the WC round.

Unfortunately, I think there's a very good chance we face Detroit in the WC round, given how well they are playing, their soft schedule the rest of the way and the recent poor play of KC and MIN.  

They won't get the benefit of facing our weaker starters like Suarez and Povich, but on the other hand we'll face to face Skubal.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Detroit is the one team I really don't want to face in the WC round.

Unfortunately, I think there's a very good chance we face Detroit in the WC round, given how well they are playing, their soft schedule the rest of the way and the recent poor play of KC and MIN.  

They won't get the benefit of facing our weaker starters like Suarez and Povich, but on the other hand we'll face to face Skubal.  

Yea it sucks to see us lose 4 of 6 against Det and never face Skubal.  To be fair, while they made plays, the Os also had a lot of bad luck and bad breaks. It happens.  

Edited by Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

With SEA losing, the O's can clinch tomorrow on their off day.

Update: maybe I'm wrong about that. Roch and other beat reporters are saying the O's can't clinch until Tuesday.

6 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

With SEA losing, the O's can clinch tomorrow on their off day.

No the Mariners don’t really have anything to do with us clinching because we lost 2/3 vs the Tigers.  Our matching number is still 2.   

10 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

There is still a big chance they won’t make it. Does anyone see this team winning more than 1 or 2 games?

It's not a big chance. If they win even one more game, missing the playoffs would require all three of MIN/KC/DET going at least 5-1 in their final six.

Their odds to hold onto the 4 seed are also pretty good, though not as secure as it should have been. 

30 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

There is still a big chance they won’t make it. Does anyone see this team winning more than 1 or 2 games?

It’s not a big chance.  But for the first time in a long time, the Tigers/Royals/Twins all have over a 60% chance of making the playoffs. The O’s are at 99.9% but stranger things have happened.

42 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

It’s not a big chance.  But for the first time in a long time, the Tigers/Royals/Twins all have over a 60% chance of making the playoffs. The O’s are at 99.9% but stranger things have happened.

Yes, between Bobby Witt's team and Gunnar Henderson's team, one of them actually is flirting with missing the playoffs.