AL playoff picture

eddie83

1 minute ago, Marshmellow said:

As much as I’d like to see the orioles in the WS, who wouldn’t want to see the Yankees vs Dodgers! 
Judge/Soto vs Ohtani/Betts……wow!

I'm not sure I can stomach the broadcasters talking about the magic and mystique of the Yankees and Dodgers.  Naw, it can't be the $300 million payroll.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Marshmellow said:

As much as I’d like to see the orioles in the WS, who wouldn’t want to see the Yankees vs Dodgers! 
Judge/Soto vs Ohtani/Betts……wow!

I won’t watch one minute if that’s the matchup.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I won’t watch one minute if that’s the matchup.  

Yeah I’m nuts about baseball but my tolerance for the FOX coverage of LAD-NYY in the WS would be literally zero. Which sucks because it likely would be great theater, that I simply couldn’t not stomach. 

Fortunately there are many other matchups that are likely to occur. 

15 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Yeah I’m nuts about baseball but my tolerance for the FOX coverage of LAD-NYY in the WS would be literally zero. Which sucks because it likely would be great theater, that I simply couldn’t not stomach. 

Fortunately there are many other matchups that are likely to occur. 

I’ve actually drastically reduced my non-Orioles postseason viewing over the last 25 years or so.   I think it all started during that period when the Yankees and Red Sox were in the postseason every damned year.   I’m pretty much at the point where once the O’s are out, I’m out.  The only way I’d probably watch would be if I knew the Yankees were within an inning of being eliminated, and then then I’d watch only if the Yankees were in a hopeless position.  But I dislike the Dodgers almost as much, so I really wouldn’t want to watch them being victorious, either.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve actually drastically reduced my non-Orioles postseason viewing over the last 25 years or so.   I think it all started during that period when the Yankees and Red Sox were in the postseason every damned year.   I’m pretty much at the point where once the O’s are out, I’m out.  The only way I’d probably watch would be if I knew the Yankees were within an inning of being eliminated, and then then I’d watch only if the Yankees were in a hopeless position.  But I dislike the Dodgers almost as much, so I really wouldn’t want to watch them being victorious, either.   

I think I stopped watching the World Series/postseason during early 2000's when Yankees and Red Sox were going every year and O's were horrible.  It might have been after Yankees went to like 8 World Series in 10 years or so.  Just depressing as an O's fan.

Generally, if I'm interested in the season, I'm interested in the post season.  So, in a year where I've followed the O's all year (since 2022, but certainly not from 2018-21, for example), I am usually following the story lines around the rest of the league as well - so I follow them into the postseason.  How far I follow probably does depend, like others, on who I'm following at that point.  A NYY-HOU ALCS would bore me; a NYY-LAD WS would annoy me to the point where I wouldn't watch.  So, it just depends.

We could be 5 games behind the Yankees by Friday!!  I blame inconsistency on all the injuries we had this year. If we didn't have the injuries we could of been 8 games ahead of the Yankees.  Losing Bradish, Means, Coloumbe and Wells killed us.  I know I am saying the obvious, but I am so disappointed in the bad luck. 

21 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

We could be 5 games behind the Yankees by Friday!!  I blame inconsistency on all the injuries we had this year. If we didn't have the injuries we could of been 8 games ahead of the Yankees.  Losing Bradish, Means, Coloumbe and Wells killed us.  I know I am saying the obvious, but I am so disappointed in the bad luck. 

Would the O’s have won the AL East last year if Tampa hadn’t had a string of injuries?   This year it’s been the O’s turn.  That’s baseball.   

15 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

BAL magic number is 22. 

I don’t understand how a wild card magic number is supposed to work. There’s more than one team that could catch us. It only works if every other team that has any shot at the wild card also loses a bunch of games, right?  The O’s have 30 games to play.  Let’s say they go 12-18 (88 wins).   Even if Boston loses 10 games and can’t catch us, we still have Seattle, Detroit, Tampa and Toronto to worry about.  (Not that I’m really very worried about any of these teams, including Boston.)

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t understand how a wild card magic number is supposed to work. There’s more than one team that could catch us. It only works if every other team that has any shot at the wild card also loses a bunch of games, right?  The O’s have 30 games to play.  Let’s say they go 12-18 (88 wins).   Even if Boston loses 10 games and can’t catch us, we still have Seattle, Detroit, Tampa and Toronto to worry about.  (Not that I’m really very worried about any of these teams, including Boston.)

In that scenario where the other teams are alive if it gets to 22 they are done also. 

If Boston wins 31 in a row …. That’s 98 wins. The Orioles win 22 they win tiebreak. So any combo of that is a winner.  All the other teams have at least one more loss. Therefore the magic number for those teams has to be lower for Orioles. For what it’s worth BAL also won tiebreak over SEA.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

That's true with a regular divison magic number too.   Your magic number is always in relation to the nearest competitor for the spot you are chasing.   If someone passes the closest competitor (say if Seattle passed Boston) our magic number would now be calculated inrelation to Seattle,   Figure it this way.   We have a magic # of 22 to eliminate Boston, 20 to eliminate Seattle, and so on and so on, down to 8 to eliminate the Angels.   The only one that matters to us is the biggest one, right now 22 vs Boston.

5 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

Or we ould be ahead of the Yankees by Friday.   We still haven't lost more than 2 in a row since July, but every series there are doomsayers on here saying we are about to be swept or lose 4 in a row or lost 5 in a row.   I just don't understand the quitter mentality of a significant number of our fans.

• Upvote 2