McDermott to start Wednesday?

Tony-OH

46 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Does this mean McDermott can't start during the double header on Monday? Or can they still add him as the extra man?

He can start. I talked about it yesterday.  

By waiting on Mateo they could bring Baker back for him. 

I picked up from Ben McDonald going full name on his intro this guy is Chayce Michael McDermott.

Mike McDermott was the Matt Damon character in Rounders, and Rounders like Chayce originates from 1998.

Here's PitcherList's Nick Pollack's take on his Game 1:

It was the MLB debut for Orioles prospect Chayce McDermott and despite getting the Marlins, he validated my rule: Don’t put MLB debuts into your lineup: 4.0 IP, 3 ER, 5 Hits, 2 BBs, 3 Ks – 10 Whiffs, 24% CSW, 82 pitches. Remember, Skenes’ MLB debut was rough, too.

Sadly, Chayce isn’t Skenes. Yet. His four-seamer has fantastic shape to it with elite iVB, HAVAA and extension, though its 94 mph velocity leaves a little to be desired (not to mention, the typical velo bump we see in debuts that will likely fade by the second start). His command of the pitch wasn’t strong in the minors and it wasn’t strong here, while the changeup was horrendous out of the zone.

The slider, though. It’s hard not to love that slider. When it works. Sure, when it works. Chayce earned an out on a fastball to start the game, then tossed a perfect 87 mph slider on the corner to earn his first whiff in the majors on the second pitch of his career. Yes, Chayce will need to find a way to comfortably get his heater in the zone, but that slider is the pitch that would turn him in a true terror.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting results from the pitching models.

Fastball - Stuff+ hates it (65 on a 100 average scale), likely because of the poor spin rate. Definitely strange because he has great extension and VAA with his delivery, and the velo is MLB average. I don’t buy it. Pitching Bot gives it an average grade (47 on the 20-80 scouting scale), so disagreement there. 

Slider - Stuff+ loves it (120), Pitching Bot only a bit above average (51).

Curve - Stuff+ doesn’t like it (83), Pitching Bot loves it (63). Interesting because he has good spin on both the slider and curve but the models disagree.

Change - Only one they agree on, surprisingly they both really like it: Stuff+ 111, Pitching Bot 54. And that’s his worst pitch by scouting reports. He did get a number of whiffs on it, but it was clear how poor his command of that pitch is. 

He also didn’t throw any pitches classified as cutters, which he was throwing in AAA. I think he’s shaped that pitch to just be the slider now.

I take the poor Stuff+ grade on the fastball with a grain of salt, similar to the poor Stuff+ grade Povich has on his fastball. Their AAA results and short MLB exposure indicates that the fastball plays up much better than that, likely due to some factors in their deliveries the models aren’t capturing well (they both have fairly unique deliveries).

But even so, exactly like with Povich, the secondaries are good and it’s a deep, starter’s repertoire with IMO enough fastball - just the major, obvious question about command, and nothing I’ve seen so far makes me feel too good about either of them improving their command enough. 

• Thanks 1